classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Why havent i any winscreen washer set up?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
hillmanseeker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:37 pm    Post subject: Why havent i any winscreen washer set up? Reply with quote

Hi,
Excuse my mentality,
but I can't find any windscreen washer set up on the car? (1954 Hillman Minx Californian) no bottle for water, no tubing, not jet squirter's fitted to bodywork and no push items on dash or floor?
Am I going mad or did the car not have any?

Also what is the silver push button on the floor near the clutch pedal for?

Any help, much appreciated,
thanks, Dave.
colwyn500

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the pushbutton might be for dipped headlights.
Washers are a relatively modern invention but?...
someone will know.
Penman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I was under the impression that washers was one change to C&U regulations which was made retrospective (except for opening windscreens.

So it surely should have had some fitted at sometime, otherwise it couldn't have got previous MoTs (I know it doesn't need one now but C&U regs must still be adhered to.

I think Ford might have been the users of floor operated washers with a rubber bellows pump and a metal ring around the bellows to operate a wiper switch in order to give a wash/wipe function.

Others all seemed to use a dash mounted push pump, unless they had electric pumps.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penman, you're right about the retrospective change to the C&U regs - they put it back to 1936, if memory serves. However, I've seen and heard of other cars that "escaped" before now, and suspect that enforcement wasn't exactly 100% - a bit like the mobile phone law of more recent times Rolling Eyes Probably it depended on where you lived, and how and where you drove the car - I can just imagine a little MOT station out in the sticks somewhere simply and quite innocently forgetting about the new regs, and if the car never came to the attention of the police who probably weren't looking for screen washers anyway...
Other possibility is that the car was already laid up before the rules changed.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, you are right re the reg changes , however if the windscreen opens a washer is not legally required Smile

Dave
JC T ONE

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upto 1967/68 (app?) did Volvo,s in USA not have washer bottle / motor / hoses / etc, as standard equipment.

Only thing fitted from factory were the nozzles, and a built in function, in the wiper switch, to operate a electric washer kit, which Volvo sold as a accessorie.
peter scott

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well! You live and learn. I hadn't realised that was retrospective legislation.

Peter
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter scott wrote:
Well! You live and learn. I hadn't realised that was retrospective legislation.

Peter

The only other bit of retrospective legislation that I'm aware of regards lighting; some vehicles made after 1930 were fitted with a single rear lamp, I'm not sure when lighting laws changed , so owners had to fit a 2nd rear lamp.

Dip and switch became illegal at the same time.

Dave
mikeC

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
[... so owners had to fit a 2nd rear lamp.

Dave

... and two reflectors.
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad's first car a 1950 Vanguard Ph1 failed its first MOT in 1965 because it lacked washers though double dip headlights and rear reflectors had been fitted. He fitted the popular add on accessory by Tudor

The MOT started as a 10 year test in 1961? and gradually caught more and more cars as the date was shortened and regs changed. Our 1938 Rover 16 we bought in 1996 with full MOT still had its illegal Dip/pass headlight set up though it did have rear reflectors bolted on . As it has opening front screen it still does not have washers. It only had 1 brake light on the offside too - its matching one on the n/s being the reverse light

The police have not really the time to spend catching this technical offence out but illegal headlighting/rear lights used at night should be stopped
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
peter scott

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conveniently this is a Rootes thread. I had a 1958 Minx, 1960 Rapier, 1964 Alpine. I'm pretty sure none of the them had washers and never failed their MOTs on that account.

Peter
badhuis

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 1961 Minx does not have windscreen washers.
I do not know about the UK but here washers are required here to cars from 1968 onwards or so.

In 1987 I imported a 1969 Herald 1200. It was rejected at the test here because the front seats had no locking device to keep them from folding forward. I made a very simple metal hook and it passed.
alanb

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 1966 I was given a brand new D reg Anglian van as my company service vehicle it came with a heater as an extra but no windscreen washers.

Morris 8 two seater
Minxy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I understand it is your car (like my Mark Minx) would not have had washers fitted when new but should have had them retro fitted to comply with law. Mine has a manual pumping system fitted that I believe was generic in its day so if you would like some pic's I can oblige. That said I have never ever used the washers on my car in all the years I have owned it!!

The button on the floor to the left of the clutch pedal is indeed a dip switch.
MartinC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 1957 Victor has never been fitted with washers and has been Mot'd sucessfully by me many times, and I assume by many previous people too. After the call for "wipers!" there would be "washers!" and my reply was "It hasn't got any". Yes they were wrong and should have failed it, but most testers don't actually know the rules. Although this is usually infuriating it can be helpful sometimes.

My 1947 Cadillac did have original washers but I broke the glass jar (sob). At MoT time it was the same story as above.

My 1943 Bedford has no washers and has never had,

My Austin A30 has an add-on accesory washer kit so is 'legal', but they are near to useless as it's a few splashes at best.

Back in the day, MoT testers etc. would have been aware of this, nowadays hardly anyone knows, or cares. If you wish to abide by Her Majesty, then fit a washer kit. Personally I think it would be a shame when it's survived this long having never had any.

Oh, re. above post about lighting, Single-dip lights are still allowed for pre-1931 cars, as, I think are single rear lights.
1954 Hillman Minx
1956 Austin A30
1957 Vauxhall Victor Super
1960 Car Cruiser Carousel caravan
1962 Car Cruiser Carissima caravan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: