classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Please help and suppotrt us?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Please support Reply with quote

hillmanseeker wrote:
Yes, the one number plate we do have is still with the car! DVLA have had images showing the car side on, Dash Speedo/Mileage, Rear with plate and Description badge (all car details- chassis number etc. Also Body Number. A Cert from The Hillman Owners Club with details of Car. All images and cert signed and stamped by the club. All correct forms sent, signed by Club as being the correct car and reg after inspection and recommended DVLA accept this is the correct car and reg!!!
All forms, cert, images etc returned with letter from DVLA saying NO! They will not accept this with out more proof, (orig log book or signed stamped copy of, predated tax disc pre dated insurance documentation or anything connecting chassis number with reg!

Sadly we don't have any of this, NOT OUR or THE CARS FAULT!!!!
We surely must come under special consideration!!! ?
The car is still here physically, has an original old number plate
I can obtain a Heritage Cert, that will show when the car was made, where made, Registered, Colour etc.

Just what more can I do !!!!!? Anyone have a real Tardis!!!!

Dave.

Dave, I really sympathise with your position, but you have said it yourself, there is no evidence and hand on heart you can not be 100% sure that the plate that is on it when you found it was the plate on the vehicle as it rolled out of the dealership when new.

It's not your fault, it's not the cars fault but it's also not the DVLA's fault, and if they started issuing plates without any evidence it would open the floodgates for the wrong reasons Sad

Assuming the reg is not in circulation, have you considered asking the DVLA if they would sell you the reg or at least include it in the next sale so you can bid for it?

If I am reading your post correctly , you state that The Hillman owners club official has confirmed this is the correct reg, if so why did the DVLA not accept this? And what is your club official doing to defend his confirmation ?

Dave

PS
just been in my workshop, where a few heritage certificates hang, there is one for my dads old Morris, it includes the supplying dealer name. If you could obtain this information there is a really small chance that they still exist and have some records ? Also If you know the dealer and the time the car was made, you may add some circumstantial evidence that the plate represents the sort of numbers issued on cars by that dealer at the time, whilst not conclusive it may be enough to sway the DVLA.
Riley Blue

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Please support Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:

If I am reading your post correctly , you state that The Hillman owners club official has confirmed this is the correct reg, if so why did the DVLA not accept this? And what is your club official doing to defend his confirmation ?

This is the bit I don't understand. Though I don't deal with the DVLA for my club (the Riley Motor Club) I have inspected cars on behalf of our DVLA Officer and sent reports and photos to him. I'm not aware that he has had any requests for original registrations refused so if the Hillman Owners Club is supplying adequate evidence, on what grounds is the DVLA being difficult in this case? Has something changed to alter their attitude towards such requests I wonder.

1963 Riley 1.5
1965 Riley 1.5
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Please support Reply with quote

riley541 wrote:
ukdave2002 wrote:

This is the bit I don't understand. Though I don't deal with the DVLA for my club (the Riley Motor Club) I have inspected cars on behalf of our DVLA Officer and sent reports and photos to him. I'm not aware that he has had any requests for original registrations refused so if the Hillman Owners Club is supplying adequate evidence, on what grounds is the DVLA being difficult in this case? Has something changed to alter their attitude towards such requests I wonder.

As far as I am aware nothing has changed; there has to be some documentary evidence to support the request; buff logbook, old tax disk, insurance document , MOT certificate etc....without any of these I fail to see how a clubs DVLA officer could make the recommendation to retain the plate, he would lose credibility!

So in this case there must be something else that convinced him that the car should retain the number?

Dave
Riley Blue

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One would hope so Dave. Perhaps there's more to this than we've been told?

1963 Riley 1.5
1965 Riley 1.5
Uncle Alec

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to reclaim the original reg no of one of my RM roadsters by tracing a sales ledger from a firm through whose hands my car passed in the 1960s. A copy of the ledger page carrying details of the purchase and sale of my car was good enough for DVLA to give me the number back, as fortunately the firm recorded chassis no's and reg no's.
So sometimes lateral thinking and sleuthing can pay dividends.
But with no contemporary documented evidence showing that your car chassis no. **** was assigned the reg no *** *** then DVLA won't play ball.
Without an old tax disc log book, MoT, etc, all an owners' club can do is verify the date of manufacture of the car; they can't link the reg no to the car unless they have maintained a car register.

Last edited by Uncle Alec on Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Ronniej

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:09 am    Post subject: PLEASE HELP AND SUPPORT US Reply with quote

I sometimes wonder if it is a bit of a lottery and depends on who you are dealing with. Perhaps if the official making the decision was prepared to use a little discretion instead of woodenly applying the instructions these cases would arise less often.
In fairness to DVLA, they have to be aware that there will be attempts to deceive them and they must apply some control, but why do they become so bloody minded at times? Would it really be such a big deal if an old car was issued with a long extinct reg number? These are non transferrable so it would have no market value.
When issuing age related plates DVLA used to use series that had not been fully allocated. These were often Scottish numbers such as SB (Argyle) which features on a great many veteran cars.
However, a couple of years back, a friend of mine had a pre-war Morris that had its original reg sold by the previous owner. He was given an "age related" plate that had the 3 digits first. These "reversed" plates were not issued until 1953 so it could be seen at a glance that the car did not have its original number. He entered into a long correspondence with DVLA but they refused to change it.
Anyway, to come to the point in hand, the motoring historian, Mike Worthington Williams who writes for The Automobile and other magazines has a good track record in recovering old numbers and perhaps it would be worth contacting him.
I do hope you succeed.

Ronnie J
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: