classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

A brave Morris 8 Series 1 restoration!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
herbie66

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a pre-series apparently.
goneps

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clearly a 35 model ("Pre-Series" in common parlance), identified by the 'yin-yang' radiator mascot (signifying "balanced motoring", according to some romantically-inclined Morris Motors publicist) and radiator badge with the word "EIGHT" instead of the later numeral "8". The car/chassis number (stamped on brass plate on left front of toolbox under bonnet) should therefore be prefixed "35/E".

"35" is the model year and has nothing to do with date of registration.

Richard
bjacko

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:14 am    Post subject: Morris 8 resto Reply with quote

The seized engine is probably the pistons in the bore due to different materials. I usually put a tablespoon of Redex down each plug hole and leave it for a few days. This frees up the piston and the rings.
Some people have successfully used WD40 or Kerosene, but I believe the Redex is less harmful.
CAUTION Do not turn the engine after the above with the spark plugs fitted or you may get hydraulicing and do some damage. Likewise do not spin it over on the starter because with the plugs removed you will pump the Redex all over the place. Just turn it over by hand at first and when most of the Redex has gone put the plugs in etc.
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Morris 8 resto Reply with quote

bjacko wrote:
Likewise do not spin it over on the starter because with the plugs removed you will pump the Redex all over the place.

I can confirm that this makes a hell of a mess - one wall of our garage still bears liberal Redex stains from several years ago Laughing
herbie66

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sound advice!

transporter booked for Saturday a.m, photo's of extraction to follow soon....
herbie66

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

p.s any other Morris 8 owners near me? I'm in Charlwood Surrey.
herbie66

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all,

Morris is here! Safe and sound. Hired a transporter for £98 which worked fantastically.

Have managed to un seize the engine with redex, and a fair tug on the starter handle!

Not going to strip down immediately as I have a few people wanting to see her before she is in bits.

Can anyone suggest a particular battery as I want to ascertain what components do and don't work.

Thanks guys

Richard
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

herbie66 wrote:
Hello all,

Morris is here! Safe and sound. Hired a transporter for £98 which worked fantastically.

Have managed to un seize the engine with redex, and a fair tug on the starter handle!

Not going to strip down immediately as I have a few people wanting to see her before she is in bits.

Can anyone suggest a particular battery as I want to ascertain what components do and don't work.

Thanks guys

Richard

Lincon do a good variety of batteries, just check the dimensions and locations of the + and - terminals to make sure they're suitable for the Morris.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
herbie66

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Rick, battery on it's way.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

herbie66 wrote:
p.s any other Morris 8 owners near me? I'm in Charlwood Surrey.

There are quite a few 8 owners in your neck of the woods listed in the Morris Register; http://morrisregister.co.uk

Dave
herbie66

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Dave,

I have submitted an application but I'm not sure it was received, have sent an e mail to check.

Cleaned up and checked all electrical connections, cleaned and set points, waiting for battery, mean while the fuel hose between pump and carb has had it . Can anyone recommend a supplier for replacement?
goneps

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

herbie66 wrote:
the fuel hose between pump and carb has had it . Can anyone recommend a supplier for replacement?

Any decent hydraulics shop should be able to fit a new hose on the existing fittings, but make sure it's suitable for petrol. Originally fuel hoses were steel braided. Might be best to wait and check with the MR spares when your membership comes through.

Bear in mind that, like most clubs, the MR is run by volunteers, so you won't always get the immediate response that you'd expect from a commercial operation.

Richard
bjacko

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:05 am    Post subject: Fuel Hose Reply with quote

There is a chap in UK who makes new hoses using the old fittings and I think he is a member of the Morris Register. Ian Harris probably sells them too.
herbie66

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Guys,

I put the new battery in this afternoon, I have the following working:

1 side light, horn, dash light...... impressive hay?

The starter motor was seized so I removed it and 'unseized it' spinning and retracting nicely engine turns over freely, not attempting to fire yet as will change oil, rig up aux fuel supply etc. What I did notice was that the negative terminal was getting hot to the point of smoke where it is connected to the slightly rusty bulkhead any ideas?

Richard.
herbie66

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S
Anyone recommend a wire wheel re-furbisher in Surrey area as I don't fancy trying that myself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: