classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

A brave Morris 8 Series 1 restoration!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
goneps

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

herbie66 wrote:
What I did notice was that the negative terminal was getting hot to the point of smoke where it is connected to the slightly rusty bulkhead any ideas?

Sounds as though there's a lot of resistance there. Frankly, it was never a bright idea in the first place. You'll find things will work better and the starter will be more enthusiastic if you get a new cable to take the battery earth straight down to the top starter motor bolt. Ideally this should be in addition to the existing bulkhead connection, to provide a good earth for the body.

Early 35 (Pre-Series) cars were particularly poor and Morris issued a Service Information bulletin instructing that an earthing cable should be fitted between the gearbox and chassis to improve the circuit. Taking an earth directly to the starter mounting is still preferable, in my view.

With 6v electrics the battery cables need to be 61/0.9 copper core of 40mm² (61 strands of 0.9mm wire, total wire cross-section of 40mm²). Autosparks is one British outfit who can supply to this specification.

Richard
PAUL BEAUMONT

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For your fuel flexible pipe try Stevson Motors. If it was originally a Smiths part with a PFP part number Stevson can probably supply a new one constructed with a material that is proof against modern fuels. (I have no connection with Stevson, but have used them)
herbie66

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I have a replacement fuel hose being sent to me at the mo from Wyvern.

Working through the engine and electrical components first although the car will be stripped down to repair tub and chassis I am waiting to build my shed to house all the bits that come off the car leaving the chassis/ running gear in the garage, so I am tinkering away the only way I can at the moment. will upload pics later.
herbie66

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello All,

Have been tinkering with the Morris, here and there and been on to Vintage Carriages with regards to inner/outer sill panels inner wings etc. In the meantime I have been trying to get the engine started as this is very much going to be a solid (hopefully) oily rag resto. The panels that will have to be resprayed are the wings as they have been hand painted many years ago and have some serious corrosion (bits missing) I have two new (to me) front wings which are completely solid. So whilst waiting to strip down as mentioned earlier I am going through engine, electrics and starting a couple of bits of body work.

Any idea's which black would be a good match (deep enough shine) for the wings etc?

Cool
herbie66

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She lives!

Fresh oil fuel, points gapped and cleaned, plugs cleaned and aux fuel tank (funnel) and she fired up for the first time in 44 years will try and upload video of first start up.
herbie66

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello All,

I have been slowly progressing with Morris since last update. Vintage carriages are currently making up inner/outer sills for me to weld in, the car is partially stripped and I have been repairing panels as I go.

Will post photos shortly.

Richard
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to the pics Smile ..these projects allways take longer than expected!

Dave
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just having a re-read of older Morris 8 threads, is there any more news on this one?

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Sid

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It comes up on the DVLA site as not taxed for road use, last V5C change was March 2019, and coloured GREEN!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: