classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Volvo PV544
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
norustplease

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
norustplease wrote:
Trip down to Higher Walton near Warrington on Sunday (today), where there was a small indoor show of about 40 cars at Walton Hall, organised by the proprietor of the nearby Cycle Museum. Very civilised, out of the weather, with a good cafe next door and the Cycle Museum itself just a short walk away next to the Hall. The journey down was about 30 miles, a bit arduous through Wigan and Warrington towns on the return trip, but the highlight was the ford on the approach to the Golf Club entrance for the show cars. good fun.
Picture shows the initial arrivals, my Volvo included. Quite a few pre war cars for once.
Are you perchance parked next to Mr Taylors 12/4 Coupe?

I am indeed.
Boring Tucson SUV
norustplease

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As mentioned elsewhere, I have carried out a repair to the passenger door bottom, where some local rust had taken hold. This necessitated a welded repair to the bottom rail of the door and letting in some new metal into the doorskin.
A respray of the door panel up to the chrome strip followed.
Quite pleased with the result.
I also remade the door card using some thin ply, replacing the millboard type original, which was in a poor state. Need to order some new panel clips since the old ones, although salvaged, have lost their grip in many cases.
Didn't think to photograph the process, but below is a picture of the car taken yesterday for agreed value purposes.

Boring Tucson SUV
norustplease

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Temperatures have risen above freezing now and I have taken to the garage to do some work on the Volvo. I had noticed some time ago that a few lumps and bumps had started to get worse on the A pillar alongside the vertical front wing seam. I had been putting off looking closer at this, and indeed spent some of my time repairing a small patch on the bottom of the offside door last year, by letting in a small area of new metal and replacing the channel that holds the door seal along the bottom of the door.
The car has hardly been used since, due to lockdowns and extreme weather/salt/snow but as the lockdown continues, I thought that I would unbolt the front nearside wing and see what was happening.
Last time that I did this on a car ( a VW Beetle) some of the captive nuts pulled out of the bodywork and had to be plated back into place. This time, I only had three to contend with that were actually out of sight in a hollow section, the rest had their captive fixings inside the engine bay, so anointing with Plus Gas followed over the Christmas break, with more being trickled into the seam down the rear edge of the wing in the hope that the bolts might release reasonably easily.
Finally last week I plucked up the courage to get started, switched on the electric radiator , unscrewed the Lokari liner from the front wing and got out my spanners.
To my amazement, all but one moved quite easily, however, the bottom one was solid and did not seem willing to turn under the influence of a 12mm spanner in the way that the rest had. The location was too tight for a socket and a 12mm ring just slipped? Odd!
I had an old Stanley socket set with a smart little stubby rachet and I dug that out. The wrench was still too bulky, but a 1/2 AF socket fitted like a glove. Of course, I should have remembered that parts of the Volvo are A/F!!!
More Plus Gas and a mini mole wrench clamped onto the socket! It slipped no matter how tightly I screwed up the mole.
Out with the Dremel and I carefully ground a couple of flats on the socket and re-clamped the mole onto the socket. It worked, and without destroying the fastening.
The wing came off easily, and just in the nick of time, there were several patches of iron oxide starting to form and creep out from the area under the flange. The wing itself, although cosmetically okay, was also starting to suffer from a couple of crumbly areas on the flanges, which I have cut away and replaced with new metal.
Grinding back the lumps and bumps has not revealed any real horrors so the metal has been cleaned up and treated and the whole mounting area will shortly be painted with a coat of epoxy mastic and the exposed part of the A pillar refinished. The rest of the area appears solid. There is an old small welded patch on the side of the footwell, but that appears solid and so has been left. it is above the Lokari anyway, so generally isn't subject to a soaking on a wet day.
I now await some more wing piping from Woolies. The original was the type which consists of leathercloth or PVC wrapped around a rubber pipe. The leathercloth had perished and was extremely brittle, so here is a chance to renew it. I have bought enough to do the whole car and may well investigate the other wings during the coming weeks.
Pictures to follow:
Boring Tucson SUV

Last edited by norustplease on Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
norustplease

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photos as promised.

Mounting area pretty much factory at this end and a very effective coat of something bituminous over the inner wing areas, supplemented by me several times with an underbody wax. Local scrapings show blue paint underneath, so I am leaving well alone.
Bumper iron mounting is cracked and needs a welded repair, looks like the car may have had a minor shunt at some time sufficient to damage the mount. I will do that whilst the wing is off.

Remaining underwing area. 'A' post looks worse than it is. all the captive fixings are sound with some surface rust, a little pitted at the top but still solid. Have subsequently ground off all the muck and most of the rust and treated with Rustbuster Epoxy Mastic paint. Ditto the repaired flanges on the wing. It takes ages to cure in low temperatures!

All of this area is hidden behind the Lokari wing liners, so hopefully my repairs will prove reasonably durable, being away from the spray and dirt. I have a 5 litre can of Corrolan to treat the underbody with when I have finished fiddling with the wings. It is lanolin based and is the current favourite for rust proofing in the Scandinavian countries, being environmentally friendly as well as effective.

New wing piping has turned up, so today's job will be to manufacture replacements. A quick bit of stopper over the excavated bumpy bits and some touching up should have the status quo resumed. I feel then, that I should investigate the other side and carry out some similar work.
Boring Tucson SUV
norustplease

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back together again, welded repair to bumper mount only partially successful, but is still accessible with the wheel off, so i will return to that when things warm up a bit!
Boring Tucson SUV
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

norustplease wrote:
Back together again, welded repair to bumper mount only partially successful, but is still accessible with the wheel off, so i will return to that when things warm up a bit!

Good for another 50 years!

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
norustplease

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Continued with my general 'going over' of the Volvo, with some minor touching up and then decided to tidy up the engine bay, a process which has been a bit of a rolling restoration over the last few years.
Having removed the air cleaner which is looking decidedly shabby, I realised that the plastic pipe that provides a vacuum link to the distributor has, at some point in time slipped out of its clip and dropped onto the exhaust manifold. Consequently approximately 15 mm of it is no longer a tube but a somewhat distorted lump of previously semi molten plastic.
There is also a plug in the inlet manifold that presumably fills a tapping for a vacuum take off for a brake servo, and it has a small hole in it. On a lesser car you would imagine that these two 'features' would adversely affect the performance, however I have noticed no change in performance....so perhaps when I fix these, it will go even faster!!!?
New pipe on order, I may just use some high temperature silicone on the plug as a temporary measure since it is sucking rather than blowing, although eventually I will have to try and tease the old plug out and replace it with something new.
The things that you find when you do your own servicing!
Boring Tucson SUV
norustplease

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotted a pinion seal leak on the back axle. it was fine when I greased everything up a few months ago. Is this inactivity's fault?
I have a new seal and will sort this out shortly.
Boring Tucson SUV
norustplease

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Managed to persuade a friend to lend me his workshop lift for a few hours and so changed the pinion seal in relative comfort with the car up in the air.
Snowed on the way home....Spring in Lancashire.
Boring Tucson SUV
norustplease

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took the Volvo out on D i D to meet up with some socially distanced classic car friends, initially at St Catherine's Hospice Cafe in Lostock Hall for a coffee, and then up to Glasson, near Lancaster. probably about a 55 mile round trip, I would guess.
No serious problems, but some occasional binding from the handbrake, which needs a little investigation. No doubt an after effect of a long shutdown off the road.
A few other classics seen en route, although not as many as I would have anticipated on what was a glorious sunny day. The Ford Mondeo crowd were already there, and there were a few other cars, notably an E type, a big Healey, a large pre war Austin, and a nice Porsche 356. We had two Citroen Tractions, a 1960's Singer Gazelle, a 1930's Humber and a 1950's Mercedes SL, so a diverse mix of cars.

Also a lot of bikers, many on, again, vintage and classic machinery. All in all, a grand day out!
Boring Tucson SUV
norustplease

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have attended to a few paintwork matters over the last week or so. The bonnet, boot and roof are quite weathered and so I will have a go with the polisher to see what can be done.
Oddly enough, a brief spell under a car cover last winter left me with some odd discoloured lighter coloured patches on bonnet and roof , which seemed to correspond with some areas of condensation that I found when removing the cover. They have resisted all of my attempts to remove them, until I tried a Farecla polishing compound, which, with a bit of elbow grease, takes them back to the original colour. I conclude, therefore, that the stain is superficial, but I am baffled as to why or how it occurred originally. Any thoughts?
Boring Tucson SUV
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

norustplease wrote:
Have attended to a few paintwork matters over the last week or so. The bonnet, boot and roof are quite weathered and so I will have a go with the polisher to see what can be done.
Oddly enough, a brief spell under a car cover last winter left me with some odd discoloured lighter coloured patches on bonnet and roof , which seemed to correspond with some areas of condensation that I found when removing the cover. They have resisted all of my attempts to remove them, until I tried a Farecla polishing compound, which, with a bit of elbow grease, takes them back to the original colour. I conclude, therefore, that the stain is superficial, but I am baffled as to why or how it occurred originally. Any thoughts?

I had the same with a dark blue Amazon many years ago, covers can wreak havoc if not allowed to air regularly.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
norustplease

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a session with the polisher and the car now looks presentable again, although a couple of the marks on the roof are still visible if you know where to look. I think that I was weakening by then, since I was cutting back the discoloured patches by hand before giving the panels an overall polish by machine.
Went to a little car show at Much Hoole on Bank Holiday Monday.
I didn't have very high hopes for this, because it was a bit gloomy, but the weather stayed fine and it proved very well attended with excellent support facilities in the new village hall. Exhibits were varied from modern classics through some pre war stuff and a good selection of classic trucks.
I was parked next to a nicely restored Wolseley 1500, which gave me chance to chat to the owner and check out a few details that I was unsure about.
Boring Tucson SUV
norustplease

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a lot to say here. The car has recently done a couple of midweek runs, a local show and a couple of breakfast meets. It probably needs an E5/10 checkup to see if its various flexible fuel hoses, etc. need replacing and I may take one of the rear wings off (eventually)and replace the wing piping which is very tatty. Nothing urgent though, and the car can probably take a back seat, having been my classic of choice through most of the summer, due to the Citroen's ongoing fuel supply issues and the refreshing of the Wolseley.
Boring Tucson SUV
norustplease

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to use the Volvo as classic of choice at the moment, since the Citroen still needs some more driving in order to restore my faith in it's reliability as long distance transport, and the Wolseley is only just coming to the end of its 'refreshing'.
Generally I just get in it after checking oil and water, turn the key and go. However, when off to a Sunday morning meet last week, I noticed some squeal from the fanbelt. This disapeared afer a quarter of a mile, so I dismissed it as a bit of condensation on the pulleys and ignored it. The car performed faultlessly as ever.
Yesterday, I decided that it was time for a service and so started by just checking out the fanbelt, in case it was in poor condition and had stretched. Well it was fine, but the mounting for the dynamo was a bit wobbly and feeling around underneath the casing showed that the rear mounting bolt had disappeared! I replaced with a new nut and bolt, but it still wobbled a little.
A further probe showed that the front mounting bolt has also vanished! So the whole lot was only held in place by the adjusting nut and slider. No wonder it squeaked a bit!
It is eight years since I looked at the dynamo. Long term readers may remember that it had a slight charging issue when first purchased in (I think) 2014, which proved to be the regulator. I wonder how long I have been driving around with a floating dynamo !!
Boring Tucson SUV
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: