classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Land Rover V8 on LPG
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dipster wrote:
Rick wrote:
New tank now fitted, the original was actually fine inside (to my surprise), but it had rotted from the outside in, once the powder coating had let moisture in beneath it. It was in a very bad way, with several pinholes easily visible.

RJ

Powder coating!

I really have not had much success with it. It looks good new but, with time, tends to get damaged and water gets in. Resulting in rust that is not initially visible. when it is it is too late to do much other than strip the wretched plast off, tidy things up and re-paint.

I have had most of my Land Rover genuine accessories I had fitted when the vehicle was new suffer in this way. It seems your after market tank fared no better!

I too have no faith in powder coating after numerous bad experiences. As far as protecting steel is concerned I would suggest either paying extra to have it galvanised or save yourself some cash by simply using a decent quality paint. Either will serve you better than powder coating and any failure is easily visible.
norustplease

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran two successive Subaru estates on LPG, without any mishap. However there is a potential issue of valve seat recession and I moved both on at 50K miles, which was reckoned to be the mileage beyond which things could start to go wrong . The following is a quote from a website on the subject:

LPG once vaporised is a pure vapour and has no lubricating properties at all, this then passes through the inlet valves and into the cylinder where it is ignited by the spark plugs, combustion takes place and the hot spent gasses exit through the exhaust valves.

Because these gasses are very hot and contain no lubricants or additives they very slowly start to burn the valve face and valve seat of the exhaust valve away, this process (called recession) over time eventually causes the valve to recede in to its seat eventually reducing the valve or tappet clearance to zero. Once this has happened it is only a matter of a few miles before the valve head starts to disintegrate causing loss of compression and misfire. This will also lead to catalytic converter failure if the vehicle continues to be driven with misfires by way off unburnt fuel passing through the exhaust system to the catalytic convertor.

Flashlube helps, but isn't a complete cure.
The following website gives quite a lot of information on running Land Rovers on LPG and is worth a read.

http://www.amrautos.co.uk/index.php/lpg-systems
Boring Tucson SUV
emmerson

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emmerson wrote:
Just as a matter of interest, my RR runs on a basic mixer set up, but I'm gathering bits together to fit a BLOS lpg carburetter as an experiment. This works like an SU carb, with a variable jet.
I've heard glowing reports of the BLOS so watch this space.

I've just realised that I never did post an update on the Blos LPG carburetter, so here it is!
The basic lpg system works buy dumping gas into the air intake, and leaving the engine to help itself, as required.This means that the gas orifice is the same size when ticking over as it is when flat out.
The Blos, however works like a SU, with a variable jet, so the amount of gas available varies as the power requirement changes, so its wide open flat out, and virtually shut on tickover.
In theory, this should help mpg figures, but to be honest I've not noticed any difference in over 12,000 miles since fitting the Blos.
One noticeable difference though, is in throttle response and general "niceness" of the engine. 4.2 litre V8s tend to be quite pleasant to drive normally, but this one is now rather special.
The combination of the Rocket Sled engine rebuild and the Blos is very nice indeed.
Petrol performance is of course, unaffected, its still bloody expensive!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: