classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

wake fibrelight
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
christine lowery

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

making progress keep it up I new nick and had a cuppa in his wake at many rallies Very Happy
chris
Jublybug

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slow but yes progress . would of been nice to meet nick , I friend of mine Martain ( he has a couple of lovely vans one with matching rolls Royce ) said he'd of been very happy to know someone else was restoring another wake .

Mapped out the van the other day so I can work out new interior layout and make a start .

Jim
Jublybug

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm prity sure ive just seen nicks old wake on the a75 in Scotland yesterday ,if I hadent been towing id of spun round a flagged the.bloke down . It was behind a boxy shape Granada I think. any one have any contact ?

Jim
Jublybug

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm back on with the resto again . Life just seems to get in the way and I have to keep shelving the van .

So since the last instalment I've sourced brake shoes and fitted them repaired the damaged rear legs .removed the hitch and removed the remains of the jockey wheel .partly drilled out the snapped off pinch bolt for the jockey wheel. I still need to source the correct size wheels as im sure the ones fitted are to big as they are a pain to get under the arch and have hit the top of the inner arch when we towed it to work . .maby the suspension needs lifting aswell .
A door handle and lock , I did think I could repurpose a side door lock from a VW splity for more security .

Oh and new info from the youtube video of nick shaws wake . On the letter from the son ( I think ) of the original builder . They made less than 10 wake caravans and only one cut down to 11 feet Long . My van is the 11 footer . . One of one so its rarer than I originally thought . This explains the kink in the lower side moulding and why its different to nicks .

Jim
gillberry

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the update, sometimes I wish there was a thanks or like button on here so people know people are reading 💜
Jublybug

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that would be a good idea . Il post up and keep it updated ,how do people post pics up now Photobucket not a free host .

Managed to get the hitch striped tonight .needs a new damper and it looks like the reverse mechanism is damaged looks to have a snapped bolt that holds the lever ( should be fun getting it out ) and there a small spring from maby a detent that's floating about . .

Thanks for reading

Jim
gillberry

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit that is why we do not post a lot these days as have not worked it out
Jublybug

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its killing all of forums had the same with a few vw forums . One its killed off altogether .i lost a full build thread for my beetle thanks to Photobucket .
Penman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Some people use Flikr I use Postimage.org

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Jublybug

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Il have to sign up to one .

Thanks jim
Jublybug

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit more work done to the hitch . I've got it all into component parts all cleaned and degreased .managed to drive out the mills pin that holds the reversing lever with the help of a little bit of heat . I've taped the thread for the detent made a new pointy bolt to adjust it ,scavenged some springs from a couple of ballpoint pens ( untill I find something better) and a ball bearing of appropriate size ,reassembled it and tested .seems to hold in place and click out of place nicely . Next job is to fully remove the old jockey wheel pinch bolt .ive got most of it but there's still some to remove and clean out or re tap the thread . I also wet and dried the draw bar to remove the surface rust and greased it for now . Going to get all the big bits where needed blasted and painted white before reassembly hopefully with a new damper and bellows .

Jim .
Jublybug

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small update .ive posted up on a group on facebook and its turned up some results . I'm waiting for a message from a chap that knows who has nick shaws vans and is a good friend of his .so that's hopefully should be a good source of reference and hopefully I can get some copies of nicks research maybe. also a guy messaged to say my van was bought and fitted out by his uncle who was a very good friend of Cyril gedney ( the maker of the wake vans) sadly his uncle isn't still with us but his aunty is so he's looking for photos of when they had the van .
And lastly I've found in the van ( which I forgot I had ) the original interior door handle and after some research its a LEGGE 2000 mk2 so the search is on for the outer part which I've contacted a company in new Zealand that have had them remade so waiting for a price delivered to the UK .

I generally don't like socal media but this time its worked out good

Jim. Oh also I was looking at separating the body and chassis but the body looks to have been partly wrapped round the chassis and I don't fancy cutting chunks out of the fibreglass body so I'm going to blast the chassis in situ .its not rotten just surface rust so a etch prime and 2k paint then a good blast of wax should sort it out and stabilize anything missed .
Jublybug

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so for a new door lock and handle is £73 delivered from new Zealand.which isn't bad but ive decided to go with something a little easyer to get a caraloc 400 its made of metal and looks quite retro. After having a caravan broke into and needing to replace a handle before id like something that's easy to get hold of .plus it will match the window frames being aluminium .

Jim
Jublybug

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://d.facebook.com/groups/756115997827741?view=permalink&id=2099086913530636&refid=18&_ft_=qid.6726489133553884376%3Amf_story_key.2099086913530636%3Agroup_id.756115997827741%3Atop_level_post_id.2099086913530636%3Atl_objid.2099086913530636%3Acontent_owner_id_new.100021987767004%3Asrc.22%3Aphoto_id.517562172320037%3Astory_location.6%3Astory_attachment_style.photo%3Afilter.GroupStoriesByActivityEntQuery&__tn__=%2AW-R

Hope this is alowed. Link to the facebook page about my wake
Jublybug

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progress is still happening. Ive now got a full set of windows in the van .ive used tinted polycarbonate ( same stuff as police riot shields and layered in bullet proof glass) so strong and light, new seals where i can get them ( still looking for some) fully insulated and halfway through the boarding process . New floor is in also . The fibreglass shell was repaired where needed from previous holes cut into the van . Ive got a full set of led lighting for the outside of the van . Ive gone for vintage looking lights to be as in keeping as possible .. Will keep up dating as often as I can .

Jim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: