classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Austin Seven Ruby ARQ rejuvenation
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
OuBallie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:50 pm    Post subject: Update and apologies Reply with quote

Sorry PeterL, I totally forgot to answer your question about my progress with the MIG.
Hope the photos show this.
As mentioned previously I can now see why MIG has become the de facto method welding methods to use.
Still need more practice.

September was just too hot and humid to do any work in the Carport so spent the time in the Workshop, after cleaning some of the loose body parts prior to applying epoxy primer, and suffering no end.
Been busy on the lathe machining backplates for and fitting the smaller chucks I bought 7 odd years ago, plus ditto for two for the dividing head.
Had to do some screwcutting in the lathe for the first time, external to make a thread gauge to do the internal on the plates, and surprised myself no end in not making a dogs breakfast of it.
Did have a brain fade with the change gears, finding I could only get 11.5tpi instead of the 12tpi I needed to thread the backplate for the dividing head, so gave up and had lunch and the minute I looked at the lathe on returning saw I had to replace one of the two change gears with a similar 40tpi, then prodeeded, sighing with relief.

Seven:
Ground the valves in, machined the flat surfaces for the water outlet and inlet/exhaust manifolds, then draw filed the head and block and they are as flat as I expected.
I need to edit the videos I took, but the heat and humidity has effected me far more than I ever expected and only now starting to get back into the swing.

Geoff - Never ever thought I would look forward to cooler weather!
1967 Morris Minor 2-door
2007 Fiat Doblò MultiJet (It carries the spares etc)
Model Engineering
OuBallie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:14 am    Post subject: It's cooler. Reply with quote

AustinSeven
Have been busy getting all the loose small body parts cleaned ready for epoxy undercoat, then September hit and floored me.

September was without doubt the most humid month I can remember, and what with the heat, it made the Carport 'Out of bounds', so have been busy in the Workshop, as seen below, and in addition I had chucks lying around since 2006 ready for mounting onto base plates, for use on the lathe and dividing head, so thought it high time I made them.

Austin:
Machining the manifold and water inlet surfaces on the block:
https://youtu.be/zLBFv60GRNQ

Valve grinding:
https://youtu.be/29NdwYBHzbo

Chuck backplates:
https://youtu.be/eXFRk-fUI_8
For the dividing head, having forgotten to take photos of the ones for the lathe.

Back onto the body and this pair:
I've forgotten where they go.

Geoff - Recovering from September heat and humidity
1967 Morris Minor 2-door
Model Engineering
mikeC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: It's cooler. Reply with quote

OuBallie wrote:
AustinSeven

Back onto the body and this pair:
I've forgotten where they go.

Geoff - Recovering from September heat and humidity

These are the front engine side-plates that carry the radiator; the slotted holes go to the front and mount the radiator grille.
OuBallie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks MikeC.
Completely forgot, but no doubt shown in one of the numerous photos I have.
Wonder if they or those 'V' sections are available, as one is really past its best as can be seen.

Geoff - Ruby tomorrow with luck
1967 Morris Minor 2-door
Model Engineering
OuBallie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:54 pm    Post subject: Feast your eyes! Reply with quote

Been a while, but here's what I've been up to, so feast yer eyes.
Notations say it all I hope, BUT I have failed to point out that my Ruby is a MK.1 after Margaret Park asked me what model it was, so will add that to future photos.

Thanks to Ruairidh for mentioning that the door window frame on his Pearl broke away where it joins the lower section, so I will be adding reinforcing strips just to be safe, plus photos once I have cleaned that area up, as with the other side.

These photos will, unfortunately, not be in the order as uploaded, as they are linked to Photobucket and all that entails, and that site NEVER saves them as uploaded. GRRRRR!!
I now prepare posts in the iOS Notes App, then copy and paste, having lost some in the past when 'writing' directly into the Forum Thread page.
My Facebook page has the photos in order.

Nearside Door:

Geoff - I am now well and truly cross-eyed, so OS door tomorrow or next week.
1967 Morris Minor 2-door
Model Engineering
OuBallie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:34 pm    Post subject: OS door, having recovered. Reply with quote

Offside door:
I've recovered from the marathon of getting all the links for the NS door into the last post.
The OS door isn't in as bad a state meaning nowhere near as much work needed on it.
There where varying degrees of rust between the wood frame and steel panel ranging from minor to quite severe rust pitting under the horizontal centre piece.
The bottom lip is very much 50/50 whether it's worth keeping or replace either some or all of it.
Will need to come up with a solution to replace the perished rubber rollers that the glass runs between, but will add a photo once I have removed the 4 tubes that the rubber is mounted on.
Will get a cost for blasting before trying myself.
Cannot be more messy compared with soda blasting can it!?
1)

2)

3)

4)

5)

6)

7)

Cool

9)

10)

11)

12)

13)

14)

Geoff - Next lot will be of the finish painted small parts.
1967 Morris Minor 2-door
Model Engineering
Peter_L

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Geoff. A previous neighbour who was renovating/restoring an ancient rust eaten truck would often dispel doubters by telling them that the original was likely put together by someone with less ability, fewer tools and no credit cards.

........ on to your rubber "thingies", back in the past, one of my business interests involved the manufacture of plaster figurines. The primary mould was a two part silicone rubber mix, I have no idea of the name but it was blue.
Not sure if it would be dense enough for your application, but maybe something along those lines, where you are actually using the mould as the item rather than creating the mould to produce a master, if you get my drift.

You would create a mould casing where the inner shape of the casing would be the outer surface of the rubber "thingie" you wanted.
OuBallie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:45 pm    Post subject: RTV rubber Reply with quote

Peter,
Do like your first sentence!
RTV rubber with a split mould that would be easy to make on the lathe.
I think I have some of that rubber somewhere, so worth a try.
Know the process, but thanks for jogging the memory.

Those original rollers have been bonded onto steel tubes that the cotters/split pins revolve round.
Need to get the glass installed to check what diameter the rubber is, as there is only one per door remaining so they could have expanded due to age.
Was thinking of 'O' rings on larger dia tube, but they may be too hard.

Geoff - Girding my loins for 5years old's School Christmas Party at 1330h
1967 Morris Minor 2-door
Model Engineering
Peter_L

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geoff. 5 year old Christmas Party !, been there done that. Having seen, on OCC, your workshop facilities may I suggest that you make the new steel bushes with a non round exterior and even include perhaps some lateral grooves, This would help prevent the steel part from trying to revolve.
OuBallie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:41 pm    Post subject: Oops. Reply with quote

The steel tubes with bonded rubber, revolve around the split pins.

Geoff - I survived the party.
1967 Morris Minor 2-door
Model Engineering
Peter_L

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Oops. Reply with quote

OuBallie wrote:

My reference was to help prevent the rubber from rotating around the steel insert.
OuBallie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Oops. Reply with quote

peterwpg wrote:
OuBallie wrote:

My reference was to help prevent the rubber from rotating around the steel insert.

I thought you meant that, but wasn't sure 👍

Geoff - Modifying one of those ubiquitous sandblast cabinets.
1967 Morris Minor 2-door
Model Engineering
MooiMeisie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject: Where has the *** time gone!? Reply with quote

It's been a while, but 2-6°C is not all that conducive to working in the Carport, BUT I have been busy.
I moved one of those ubiquitous bench mounted sandblasting cabinets from a corner in the Workshop, into the Carport to try out now having a man enough compressor to handle the air requirements.
Before even connecting up I read/viewed everything I could find on this type, and realised that surgery was needed to get it to work at all , so made a start 24/12/2016 and that is still ongoing.
The cabinet is now doing the job it was 'designed' to do, albeit not all that well thought through, and is now residing on a stand with the compressor lurking underneath.
A video with details later.

I at last made a rack for the 5C collets that have been lying in a box, and now readily at hand at the lathe.

Just had to rescue it from obscurity and decay.

On the 'Operating Table' ready for some dramatic 'surgery'.

Time to tax the 'collective' brain and imagination.

Another post tomorrow.

Geoff - Work on body starts soon with luck
MooiMeisie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject: No need for explanations. Reply with quote

Austin 7 wheels and cylinder heads

Wheels:

Sandblasting:
Before and after.

High & Low compress cylinder heads difference.

Geoff - Next will be the mystery item being demonstrated.
MooiMeisie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:40 pm    Post subject: An update Reply with quote

Shocked
Preamble:
Whilst suffering a head cold, passed on to my by family members, and not feeling in the least capable of doing any work on the car without making a 'codswallop' of it, decided to post an update.
For some unknown reason I'm unable to upload to YouTube, Facebook or Google Photos from iMovie on the MacPro, but can on the MacBook.
Have asked for advise on Apple Support Communities - iLife, but no luck so far.

Update.
Sandblasting Cabinet:
I have one of those ubiquitous bench mounted cabinets that are, as supplied, next to useless, BUT can be made to work, thanks to all those before me figuring out what to do.
It took days of searching the 'net to find out what mods/additions/changes where needed to convert it from an ornament into something actually worth having.
I also added some of my own ideas, particularly in lighting the inside and clearing the dust from the window, both of which I'm pretty proud of.
A video will, with any luck, follow in the not too distant future.

Austin Seven.
Air vents:

Door wood from Martin Prior, of excellent quality:

Mud Wings - Front:
Vacuum sucked up a lot of the dust.

Rust soon revealed and dealt with.

Ready for repairs plus blasting small areas using aluminium oxide.

Wheels:

Blocked drain holes.

Loose body parts:

Let's hope I don't take so long to post next time.

Geoff - Taste buds AWOL so everything I eat now could be old leather.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 9 of 14

Jump to: