classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Ever had a bogie.
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
clan chieftain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:13 pm    Post subject: Ever had a bogie. Reply with quote

No not the ones up your nose Laughing Some called them carts. A plank of wood with big pram wheels at the back and wee ones at the front. You could steer them with your feet or with a bit of rope. They were great fun. Me and my pals we all had one and used to race each other. The ones with the big Churchill pram wheels on the back were the fastest. I always got into bother for using my shoes as a brake Laughing The home made dragsters. Happy days. Laughing You never see them now.
Penguin45

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were called "guiders" in Edinburgh, where I grew up. The one Dad and I made had 28" rear wheels and 24" fronts and had a proper nose down 70's dragster look to it.

Many years later, here's the one I made for my kids.

Couldn't find big wheels for love nor money.

Twin 1 driving.

Twin 2 driving. Idiotic grins says it all really!

In the way of kids, they did eventually leave it out in the garden and it disappeared.

P45.
Penguin45

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh - in the raw before they painted it.

P45.
peter scott

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I made myself an (Edinburgh) guider with a tea chest as the body. It was pretty hopeless as I didn't have big enough wheels.

Peter
Riley Blue

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Dad made me something very similar back in the '50s when we lived in Maplethorpe and it still had a railway station. Along with my chums who also had them, we made some extra pocket money by carrying holiday makers' luggage from the station to their B&B.

1963 Riley 1.5
1965 Riley 1.5
peppiB

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used to have great fun making and racing these in the 50's. We raced down a hill, until posh houses were built down 1 side and our activities were frowned upon by the residents.

I still have a scar on my left knee where I inserted a chisel (by accident - as kids we didn't think of using a vice to hold the wood, it was just clamped between our knees) Even had lights on one of them - powered by a battery box from a Triang train set
clan chieftain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top of the range Penguin45...........class Cool
bob2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, giving me ideas, I have some old pram wheels and was wondering were to use them!!
Will build one for my girls!!!
roverdriver

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Called a Billy Cart here in our part of Oz. Built mine when I was about 8 years old. Main timber came from a dismantled bed frame. We lived about half a mile, down a track from the main road- all down hill. I'd drag it to the main road on the way to school, where it was parked in the shrubbery under half of a 44 gallon drum for the day. Homecoming was swift and delightful.
47Jag

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've made a few bogies in my day and this where I have to disagree! A bogie with big wheels couldn't corner worth a da*n. All style They just couldn't take the lateral loads. I too had the shoes with the 45 degree chamfer on the heels. I had a tax disk on mine (from a Rover as I recall) with a number plate to match. Happy days Very Happy Very Happy

Art
minormatt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought you were going to be talking about a type of bogies that I used to play with regularly!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bogie
minormatt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought you were going to be talking about a type of bogies that I used to play with regularly!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bogie
Peter_L

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brought up in post war Barnsley, building trolleys was a fascinating pastime because tools and suitable parts were in very short supply.

Pram wheels were scarcer than hen's teeth, as was the square section axle, with turned ends. Nails and screws would be rescued from whatever we could find, after all one screw out of a door hinge is hardly going to cause the house to fall down.

Drilling holes was quite the challenge, a red hot poker would suffice for the larger holes in wood, but putting a 1/4 inch hole with a hand drill through a piece of 1/2 steel would provide entertainment from dawn until dusk.

If one's Dad, Uncle, or good neighbour was employed in certain industries and worked shifts, then anything was possible.

Riding them was great fun, but for me the pleasure was in the making. One soon learnt that attractive as it may seem, old bed frame angle iron is only any use as currency to get some wheels from the Rag and Bone man.

If only we had had a "Trolley App" Laughing
clan chieftain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we got fed up with the bogies we used to sit on old tin trays and slide down the coal bing and in the winter the sledges came out. Great days the 50s. We never get enough snow to lie long enough for kids to sledge.
According to the "long range weather forecast" this has to be the worst winter since 1963 Shocked
lowdrag

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange how the name changes from region to region. It's like a bread roll is a bap is a cob and so on. In Portsmouth they were soap boxes, and I well remember building one with a friend out of wood found in the shed. Lovely wood it was too, but we got hell when his Dad found out we had cut up the top of a dining table stored there. Anyone remember the Festival of peed races which were abandoned a few years back? Those were expensive high-tech carts with teams from MacLaren, Williams and so on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: