classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Cheapskate intergrips
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject: Cheapskate intergrips Reply with quote

I'll be doing quite a lot of butt welding (no Stuchamp, not that kind!) and fancied trying out some Intergrips, which are sold by Frost's in the UK at £13.50 for 5.

Being tightfisted, I bought a bit of M8 threaded rod, cut it into short lengths, welded a piece of 1mm plate to the lengths. Into this plate I drilled an 8.5mm hole. I put the threaded rod through the "bridge" from some old exhaust clamps and put a nut on the rod. Using some of the left-over rod, this was placed through the hole in the plate. Result? 20 plus Intergrips for 60p's worth of rod!

This is an Uncle Joes top tip! Idea

Any comments?
Stuchamp

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta love the ingenuity! Very Happy
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuchamp, thanks for your comment. I just found an advantage over the Eastwood/ Frost intergrips. Being a bit bigger, they are a perfect place to put the welders earth clamp.

This could just be my next patent!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: