classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Buried old vehicles - Pt2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:32 am    Post subject: Buried old vehicles - Pt2 Reply with quote

Hi all,

Due to finger trouble on my part, while deleting a duplicated post, the previous buried thread was exterminated.

To sum up my own recollections of buried vehicles so far:

- the interred E83W van beneath a grassy hillock in N Wales.
- a group of 1950s classics, buried beneath a car park also in N Wales.
- remains of a pre-war car, found close to a "do not tip" sign, yes - in N Wales.
- remains of a pre-war Minor, close to the river in Betws-y-Coed (N Wales!!)

As you were .... Smile

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the most well-known buried cars, is the 1957 Plymouth nicknamed "Miss Belvedere", buried for 50 years as a time capsule:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miss_Belvedere

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
peter scott

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the early 1960s my parents used to take my sister and me on holiday to stay in a farmhouse on Mull. When old vehicles were discarded back then they normally just got abandoned in a field somewhere as there was no scrapyard on Mull and transport to the mainland was expensive. I can remember quite a few interesting remains mouldering away in boggy fields. All pre-war and some 1920s. OK, they weren't actually buried but they were slowly burying themselves.

Peter
Ronniej

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found some more info on the "Gyrocar" I mentioned yesterday on the thread that was accidentally deleted.
Essentially, a member of the Russian Royal family, who seems to have had excellent engineering credentials, asked the Wolseley Motor Company to build an experimental two wheeled Gyrocar to his specifications. This was shortly before the outbreak of the Great War and the company lost touch with the customer. When Lord Nuffield took over the company in 1927 the car was buried in the company yard. It was subsequently exhumed and displayed in the company museum for a few years before being broken up for scrap. (Shame!)
To judge from the photos the car would not win many beauty contests but it was certainly interesting from an engineering aspect.
There is quite a lot on Google, including technical spec, about the car if anyone is interested.

. [img][/img][img][/img]
peter scott

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks a little better with the cowlings on.

Peter

Peter_L

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter scott wrote:
Back in the early 1960s my parents used to take my sister and me on holiday to stay in a farmhouse on Mull. When old vehicles were discarded back then they normally just got abandoned in a field somewhere as there was no scrapyard on Mull and transport to the mainland was expensive. I can remember quite a few interesting remains mouldering away in boggy fields. All pre-war and some 1920s. OK, they weren't actually buried but they were slowly burying themselves.

Peter

I was a regular visitor to Scotland, and the Islands from the late 50's through to when I left the UK in 2002. I remember seeing a lot of abandoned cars, especially in the earlier years. The numbers reduced in later years. Before digital photography the cost of photos did not encourage one to make old rusty cars a holiday snap.
D4B

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coincidentally, this has just popped up via MSN:

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/enthusiasts/haunting-car-graveyards-from-around-the-world/ss-BBmMHvt?ocid=mailsignoutmd

Cool
Penman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ronniej

If you go back to your posting with the pictures and put a line break between the [/img} at the end of the first one and the [img} at the start of the second one, then the pictures will appear one under the other instead of side by side.

That should then also condense the thread down to a narrower view so we don't have to scroll sideways to read posts.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
PAUL BEAUMONT

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may have shared this before, but about 30 years ago a friend had a Standard Atlas minibus to carry his largish family. It was getting more under-powered by the day and one day he met someone who claimed to have an engine, but he would need a day or two to "dig it out". Imagine my friends amazement when he arrived to collect the engine to find the vendor in a large hole in the back garden where he had buried a time expired Atlas some time before. Needless to say the engine was useless!

Paul
V8 Nutter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember probably 30 or 40 years ago talking to the owner of a country garage. The garage had been built or extended in the late 30's. At the time his father owned the business and he had several old cars from the 20's and earlier he had been unable to sell. The old cars were simply buried beneath the building works. The only car the son could positively remember was a big Minerva from the late 20's which had serious engine problems that were not economical to repair. The garage has gone now, replaced by new houses.
Ronniej

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronniej wrote:
I found some more info on the "Gyrocar" I mentioned yesterday on the thread that was accidentally deleted.
Essentially, a member of the Russian Royal family, who seems to have had excellent engineering credentials, asked the Wolseley Motor Company to build an experimental two wheeled Gyrocar to his specifications. This was shortly before the outbreak of the Great War and the company lost touch with the customer. When Lord Nuffield took over the company in 1927 the car was buried in the company yard. It was subsequently exhumed and displayed in the company museum for a few years before being broken up for scrap. (Shame!)
To judge from the photos the car would not win many beauty contests but it was certainly interesting from an engineering aspect.
There is quite a lot on Google, including technical spec, about the car if anyone is interested.

. [img][/img][img][/img]
[img][/img]
Ronniej

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penman wrote:
Hi Ronniej

If you go back to your posting with the pictures and put a line break between the [/img} at the end of the first one and the [img} at the start of the second one, then the pictures will appear one under the other instead of side by side.

That should then also condense the thread down to a narrower view so we don't have to scroll sideways to read posts.

Sorry, I tried to do that but have only succeeded in putting the post on for a second time. Photobucket is down at the moment, perhaps this is why.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronniej wrote:
Penman wrote:
Hi Ronniej

Sorry, I tried to do that but have only succeeded in putting the post on for a second time. Photobucket is down at the moment, perhaps this is why.

Hi Ronnie
you use photobucket, just click on the IMG link in photo bucket, it will copy all the details, then all you need to do is paste into the forum, simples Smile

Dave
Penman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
But you still need to put the line break in.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Rusty

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little story that might interest you !

Up in my district there was a farmer who had his fathers old International K5 truck that he arrived in the district with as a cartage contractor. He drove this truck for quite a few years then bought the farm and continued using the truck for farm work. When it was retired the truck was stored in a shed and sat there for maybe 20 odd years and was well known by vintage commercial enthusiasts some of whom made offers to buy it off the son of the original owner who just refused point blank to entertain any idea of parting with it. Now one day the local council had a bulldozer working in a gravel pit on the farm and the farmer got the dozer driver to dig a trench about 10 foot deep without telling him why he wanted it, he then went down to the shed, started the truck up and "drove" it into the trench, switched it off, took the battery out and then ordered the dozer driver to fill in the hole. The dozer driver still recons he could take you to within 50 yards of where it is buried but it is still there.

We were all horrified that he would rather destroy it than let someone else restore it, and lose money by doing so in the process.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: