classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Ford Popular 103e
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Kenham

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem I had was the price of a new 6 volt regulator and a battery that convinced me 12 volt was a better bet. I never have bothered with the fuel gauge just a bent welding rod does the job, thats because I dont know how to do it.Do disconnect the wire to the gauge though. Starter motor will last forever, friend of mine even seemed to use the 6 volt dynamo, not too sure how that worked. I never did find out the reason when running on 6volt why it burnt the points out quickly, never has on 12 volt but think it was probably the new 6volt coils you buy nowadays. Ken
steve7184

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there, I need more advise! I ended stripping the carb and cleaning it with fresh petrol and what turned out to be the starting problem I had, was a small piece of straw stuck in one of the jets. How that got there I don't know!
Unbelievably, when I put it back on the engine, gave it a fuel supply and pulled the starter, the engine fired on the first turn. I was well happy!!
Anyway, what I've done since then, has dropped the fuel tank, had it cleaned and renewed the fuel pipe and now it starts and runs.
The problem I have now though is making it move under its own power. The clutch seems to be stuck. It will engage gear when engine is off, but won't engage when engine is running. Is this a major problem? I have been advised to start engine with my foot on the clutch and in gear. This to me seems worrying as I'm not to sure if the brakes are working!
Thanks for any advise you can give me and thanks for taking the time to read this,
Cheers, Steve
Paul fairall

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you still have the pull starter you could leave the ignition off, put it in gear, clutch pedal depressed, handbrake off and pull the starter and see if the clutch is disengaged. When the engine is running is it that it won't go into gear or that it doesn't move when you engage the clutch.
steve7184

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Already tried that with no luck! I just end up kangarooing on the drive. When engine is running, trying to put it into gear it just crunches and won't engage.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: