classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

1955 ford Popular 103e Rear wheel bearings and half shaft is
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
Stuart2u

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:29 am    Post subject: 1955 ford Popular 103e Rear wheel bearings and half shaft is Reply with quote

Hello.....a preamble to paint the scene and then a request for advice.

Both rear wheel bearing assemblies were shot and so I went down the route of using the repair kit available from small ford parts. This is supposed to make replacement easier but fitting does not come without problems to overcome.

In outline the inner bearing sleeve remains in situ on the stub axle and a new sleeve is fitted over it. The brake drum contains another bearing sleeve, roller bearing, oil seal, washer and clip. Everything comes out with a bit of effort eventually EXCEPT the bearing sleeve which needs a page of its own to describe the removal process.

So once everything is out a new sleeve with built in needle bearing is pressed into place in the drum, new seal fitted and that side is ready to go.

The new bearing sleeve for the stub axle is a resistance fit over the existing sleeve. I didn't want to drive it on with a soft hammer as the fitting instructions advise and so I heated up the sleeve in the oven(don't tell her indoors) and this enabled me to push it almost all the way home with a final couple of taps with a soft hammer to seat it. Fitted the drum assembly on and bingo one side finished and looking good.

On to side two. Same process. Pushed the heated sleeve onto the stub axle and it stuck half way.....tapped with hammer and it just would not go any further. Tried to heat it up in situ, using a few more clouts......wouldn't move. Of course it wont come off either.

So at the moment I am looking for a suitable long reach puller so that I might try getting it off that way, problem is although there is space at the back of the sleeve to hook the legs of a puller onto, the length from that point to the nose of the stub axle is 7 inches. So far I cannot find a suitable puller.

If that fails, my only possible option is to remove the half shaft itself complete with sleeve and either try to remove the offending sleeve on the bench or get a new half shaft and start again.

QUESTION. Any one know how to remove a half shaft.

Stuart
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How thick is this sleeve, I wonder? I've removed a ballbearing assembly that was stuck on a shaft with an angle grinder before now Shocked by cutting away the outer race in two places, the clip that held the balls likewise, then carefully cutting along the length of the inner race. Didn't go all the way through, but managed to split it with a cold chisel when nearly through and the accumulated heat from the grinding did the rest. Took a while but the shaft was fit to reuse Cool Cool Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: