classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

TAT Style Grease nipples & guns?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
Rich5ltr

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:02 pm    Post subject: TAT Style Grease nipples & guns? Reply with quote

My Lagonda has a row of 4 grease nipples either side of the chassis below the running boards from which you can grease various points around the car via copper tubes. The nipples are much larger than those I am familiar with and doing some research I think they are called TAT style nipples. Confused

My question is; what kind if grease gun do I need to buy? I am assuming a TAT grease gun but eBay and Google don't seem too informative about that search. So, what should I look for and are they readily available on eBay? I'd like to buy a modern one to use in the garage and perhaps a vintage brass one to keep with the car's tool kit.

Anyone?
peter scott

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you can screw these onto most gun types:

https://www.completeautomobilist.com/categories/complete-automobilist-workshop-parts-greasers-and-oilers-gun-and-adaptor-ends

Peter
Rich5ltr

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah right, thanks Peter. I've never come across these before, I'll buy an adaptor.

p.s. I wonder what one would have used in period e.g. would there have been a special gun?
goneps

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This type of fitting is still around, but mostly for industrial applications as far as I'm aware.

Richard
whiteair43

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had them back in the 60's on a landing craft I served on........how about Army surplus yards?
jp928

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 2 grease guns, one large , one small, and when I looked at greasing the TATs on my Rover I found both guns used 1/8 BSP threads for attaching the end fitting. The TAT adaptors will screw onto these threads, so it seems to be a long time standard for grease guns.

jp 26 Rover 9
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: