classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Skip and tip finds ...
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Vintage Motoring-Related Toys, Tools & Accessories
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:07 am    Post subject: Skip and tip finds ... Reply with quote

Morning all,

Have you ever found anything of interest in skips, or at the local dump/tip?

Earlier in the week I dropped off a few surplus items of junk, and managed to retrieve a 1960s oil tin (with a useful pourer cap on it) from the metal recycling skip. It helps to attend the tip when it's raining, as there'll be fewer operatives circulating, who might restrain the more adventurous skip addict.

Years ago a fine 2-gallon "Redline" petrol can was spotted, left on top of the oil recycling tank. Needless to say it didn't remain there for long Smile

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
PAUL BEAUMONT

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a teenager I built and refined my push-bike with stuff scavenged from the local tip. Eventually I achieved a light-weight frame, drop handlebars, Sturmey-Archer 3 speed, dyno-hub etc.
My local tip today is all mega skips so the only way of scavenging is to accost folk who turn up as they start to unload.
About a year ago I acquired a small tool box with a selection of WW/BSF spanners. The guy dumping them insisted that they were no good because they were not Metric. He handed them over but still looked at me as if I was stupid!
kevin2306

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not allowed to remove anything from the skips or associated storage containers at my local recycling center.
what annoys me about that rule is watching the operatives removing any item that looks as if it could fetch a £ or 2 on ebay!

Kev
Dipster

Location: UK, France and Portugal - unless I am travelling....

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not car related but early one morning, about 40 years ago, I found a beautiful little book style folder of water colour miniatures of flowers and berries painted on equally beautiful embossed cards.

They were in a dustbin on the kerbside of a Paris street. I treasure them. I have no idea who painted them but just gazing at them gives me great pleasure.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevin2306 wrote:
not allowed to remove anything from the skips or associated storage containers at my local recycling center.
what annoys me about that rule is watching the operatives removing any item that looks as if it could fetch a £ or 2 on ebay!

Kev

I remember when we cleared out a few things that had been left by the previous owner of our first house. Amongst the stuff was a small bust modelled on Pope John Paul II. We left it close to one of the skips, in case anyone wanted it.

A few days later we attended a car boot sale, and lo! there it was Smile

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
peter scott

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a teenager I rescued a Lucas acetylene bicycle lamp from our local garage tip. I also retrieved a very large vice with quick release and also a large spider (the spanner kind). I still have all three. I've never fired up the lamp but the vice and spider get regular use.

Peter
emmerson

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevin2306 wrote:

Kev

That's exactly why you're not allowed to take anything!
Churchill Johnson

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Year's ago got a soggy wet cardboard box of floppy disc's [game's] for an Amiga, 2 joystick's,a cabinet type Singer treadle sewing machine , Amstrad radio,tuner,amplifier,twin deck tape player and record player put a new needle in it,work's a treat which i built into a glass fronted cabinet, some old spanner's, the disc's and spanner's i got when no one was looking,sewing machine and Amstrad straight out of people's car's.
Riley Blue

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevin2306 wrote:

Kev

They're on the minimum wage, outside in all weathers dealing with other peoples rubbish so I don't begrudge them making a bob or two.

1963 Riley 1.5
1965 Riley 1.5
Clactonguy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:18 pm    Post subject: tips and reclamation. Reply with quote

aware illegal to remove items from tips and yet operatives do so.
seen quiet a few nice items ( not car related) go into skips and ready for crushing and land burial.
A friend in Dorset says his local tip has a policy of re-use and. all yo need to is pick something up or point to it and the staff will give it to you for a small fee.
small being actually small!
I think this makes sense a bit like a boot sale.one persons unwanted bits having value to another.
saves on land fill too! if. councils were to get act. together maybe allowing say staff to get percentage of anything. sold to Joe public..encouraging re-use rather than dumping. must be better for environment .
if you watch. Salvage hunter on TV we can often see what is 'junk' to one person can be a valued thing to another.
DM

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Austin Mini (Complete car)
NSU Quickly (5.00)
Berini Cyclemotor (£3.00)
Cyclemaster (5.00)
Jaeger speedo
Senspray carb 1920's
Magneto's
Various british bike parts
Countless rod brake pushbikes picked up for their stainless rims and spokes (rolled new threads on to the spokes to suit a box of new old stock Sturmey Archer braked hubs I had).
A full set of 2CV wheels with new tyres on, no idea why these ended up at the tip but they went straight on to a friends car.

It's 40 years since we got the Berini and NSU Quickly and I still have them on the road.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen many interesting things at the local tip, problem is that the tip now has a policy of no rummaging or taking of offers for stuff. Its all separated out by the staff and anything interesting is held back to be sold on.
traction39

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last year a pair of Lucas SFT576 spot/fog lamps - managed to "grab" them before they were chucked. Asked if he had any other pieces heading to the skip, unfortunately not!
Victorian plate camera with tripod and plates - why throw it in a skip???!!

Citroen Light 15 1953, "12" 1939,
Riley 9 Special 1932
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tip I go to has a rule against taking things out of the skips, but never bothered enforcing it until recently. This is annoying as I've found the "rubble" skip to be a good source of mugs, small plates and other examples of the sort of crockery that gets broken frequently. I've now developed a tactic to deal with this. If I see one of the staff lurking by the rubble skip, I take my time by the waste oil banks until he clears off. Then I move the car on, and park right next to the skip. The modern now has a couple of grubby old empty sacks permanently in the back, so I open the tailgate and remove a sack, making out like it's heavy for the benefit of the CCTV. Over to the skip and have a good look inside, as if to make sure it's the right one. Pretend to empty the sack into the skip, whilst grabbing anything interesting within reach and stuffing it into the sack - the CCTV camera is in the wrong place really and is looking at my back Smile Then back to the car with the scrunched up sack in one hand, repeat if necessary with the second sack, keeping an eye open for the staff in the meantime. Isn't it ridiculous what you have to do these days to get around petty bureaucracy?

Incidentally, although it probably won't change anyone's mind, a good way to annoy the tip staff if any of them challenges you about removing stuff from skips is to politely raise the issue of them using stolen supermarket trolleys to move stuff around the site. You could even suggest phoning the manager of the nearest store about it, see what they have to say. They really don't like this but can't do anything about it, most of them are bright enough to realise that calling the rozzers isn't a good idea in this situation... Twisted Evil
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect the "not removing stuff" is all about health and safety and the potential liabilitys .

However removing stuff is recycling which is good, less in landfill, also good and less rubbish for the contractor to process; commercial benefit for them.

Strange world Rolling Eyes

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Vintage Motoring-Related Toys, Tools & Accessories All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: