classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Door cards
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
1935Hillman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:38 pm    Post subject: Door cards Reply with quote

I am just beginning to think about creating the door cards for my project and have a question. I am aware of the methods for fixing said cards to a metal door frame but what about a wooden framed door? I don't want to see screw heads if I can help it. Presumably I will need to create sockets in the door frame to accept spring clips of some description ? Detailed help in particular would be very gratefully received. Thank you
goneps

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The standard method on pre-war cars was to use hidem binding, which as the name suggests conceals the fasteners, be they tacks, staples, or small wood screws. Google it for pictures and videos.

Richard
Penman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
There is a screw alternative which doesn't leave screw heads visible.
Brass mirror screws.
http://tinyurl.com/hkzasks

or these upholstery dome tacks

http://tinyurl.com/h3wrxn7

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abandoning any kind of originality for a moment, would a strip of Velcro-like stuff around the edge of the door card, and perhaps in some central areas if appropriate, be sufficient?
peter scott

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there another car that retains its original cards that you could copy?

Peter
1935Hillman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for your input. I will look at the various suggestions and let you know how I get on. A hidden fixing of some description is clearly the most desirable but just how to achieve it is another matter at the moment.

Many thanks again,

Tim
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1935Hillman wrote:
Thanks everyone for your input. I will look at the various suggestions and let you know how I get on. A hidden fixing of some description is clearly the most desirable but just how to achieve it is another matter at the moment.

Many thanks again,

Tim

I like to hide screw heads etc. What surprises me, though, is how many cheaply produced cars from the sixties and seventies were manufactured with ugly exposed cross head screws with just a cup washer to stop pulling through. An attitude of "that will do" seems worst among British firms in my opinion.

These days, things seem to have gone to the other extreme with some modern door cards requiring magical dark arts to remove them!

Anyone know how to take one off a late Vauxhall Meriva???
Penman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
First of all have you found all the screws which are hidden in door pockets/pulls etc?
Some cars the speaker screws also hold the door cards.
Once you are sure all the screws are out you still have the hidden clips usually prisable with a wide blade between the card and the door and then the wiggling it upwards to clear the window drop aperture but having to maneouvre it from under the panel inside of where the mirror is

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must have removed literally hundreds of door cards from different cars over the years but it seems the Meriva (2010) has none of the usual fixings. I suspect it is easy when you know how. Maybe it just lifts up but it appears to be in two sections and I don't want to force anything. When I asked a Vauxhall guy all he said was "you don't want to know, mate". Shocked
MVPeters

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find a better Vauxhall guy.................

Ford use a lot of Velcro / hook-&-loop on trim parts - some types are incredibly strong.
1935Hillman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought some simple 'Christmas tree' plastic door card fixings on ebay and experimented with pushung them into a straight sided hole drilled into the ash door frame. Worked a treat ! I don't image one could undo and refit them many times but as I don't intend doing that I think it should be fine. If I remember I will try to photograph the process and post the results here. I am still trying to get to grips with my newly acquired sewing machine to put the 'sunburst' lines on the panels.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: