classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Spark plug thread repair
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
rcx822

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject: Spark plug thread repair Reply with quote

I'm fixing up a Toyota 1UZ V8 engine, it's a 4.0l, in the UK commonly called "The Lexus Engine". Two of the spark plugs took quite some force to come out. They have some goo on them. The spark plug threads in the cylinder head seem ok, but the plugs are stiff going in. I can see that the threads on the stiff spark plugs are slightly out of pitch.

I've looked around for spark plug thread chasers. A lot of them look too cheap to trust. Or there's no way of gripping them while they're deep down a twin cam spark plug hole.

Draper Expert do one that LOOKS reasonable quality. The hex on it is very big, I can mill it down to a size that would fit into a spark plug socket.

I really don't want to mess this up and have to be doing repairs or removing the cylinder head. I thought I'd ask for tips before I do this.

Am I right in saying that a "thread chaser" is more blunt than a tap?

[img]http://www.drapertools.com/product/51767/Expert-10-12mm-Spark-Plug-Chaser[/img]
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's my understanding, although as I've said many times before - I'm no engineer Smile

A chaser tidies up existing threads, whereas a tap is more aggressive. I bought a chaser a while back, I think to use on the replacement (all iron, no inserts) head I fitted to big Dodge. Being a sidevalve, with the plugs on the top, with the head on the bench, made it quite a straightforward job.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always found an old spark plug with 4 saw cuts down the threads used well greased is perfect for tight/damaged threads especially alloy
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
Peter_L

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil - Nottingham wrote:
I always found an old spark plug with 4 saw cuts down the threads used well greased is perfect for tight/damaged threads especially alloy

I have used he same thing. Cut off the washer and if possible to get it in a lathe turn down about 1/8th where the thread meets the plug body.
Put the saw cuts at an angle, not 90 degree to the threads. I would grind off the electrode part and arrange all pistons away from TDC, just to make 100% sure the plug doesn't touch the piston.

Oil and a steady back and forth with little or no wrench assistance if there is any chance the thread maybe crossed.

Give the plug threads a good wire brushing so they are nice and clean.

On head overhauls I would always run the plug-tool to clean the threads all the way.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to chase a plug thread on the Stag (alloy head) bought an off the shelf plug thread chaser. I made sure that the inlet valve on the cylinder was open, connected an air line to the carb to create a bit of positive air pressure. With some grease on the thread chaser any swarf come out with the chaser rather than finding its way in to the cylinder.

Dave
emmerson

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or use an old plug with a groove ground in the thread, same job as the saw cuts.
If all else fails, then a Helicoil might be the only answer.
Peter_L

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone ever noticed that the success of a fix is inversely proportional to how close it is to those offering the cure ? Laughing Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: