classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

1926 Rover 9 Roadster
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
jp928

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a bit difficult to turn the wheel with the front wheels off the ground, but not very - its a VERY long time since i drove anything without PAS now - Lightweight Landy SWB 16 years ago now! Hope you are right.
thanks.
john
peter scott

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well there may be some areas you could improve if the steering is still heavy when not under load. Perhaps disconnect the drag link to determine whether the problem is in the box or in the king pins.

Peter
jp928

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With wheels in the air I can rock them back and forth in the box slack readily, so I dont think the king pins are an issue. This movement moves the steering wheel somewhat also.
jp
jp928

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved it today, not without some issues. Handbrake needs tightening up, steering is still an issue, and it wouldnt climb a small sharp slope at the driveway entry - clutch must need some tightening. Then the motor croaked and wouldnt restart. Charging battery now, having hand cranked it onto a flatter section.
https://imgur.com/c1NMwoU
Update. Started fine after some charging and cooling. Parked back inside now. With front wheels off the ground, lock to lock with one finger is possible, but not trivial - why does this translate into VERY VERY difficult indeed unless moving at least at walking pace? Nobody knows the box type in the document linked to above? The tyres are freshly inflated, but they are probably 25 years old now - 4.50x19 Firestones. Very hard by now?
jp
jp928

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attacked the steering. Dropped the drag link off the pitman arm - box is beautiful! Same slack as before, but the action is smooth and light. Moved the wheels back and forth and saw the drag link staying horizontal - no droop or sideways movement. Removed the other end from left hand steering arm - that ball joint VERY VERY tight! Could not move the screwed in plug, so applied some heat and finally got it out - at least 1 turn too tight. Reassembled and back on the car, the load at the steering wheel rim went from 3.5kg to ~ 1kg, much better. Also advised to bump the front tyres up from spec 25psi to at least 35, maybe more. Also tightened the clutch pins up 1 turn to try to stop it slipping - dont want to get caught unable to get back home - I have a sharpish downhill slope to a dead end one way, and a short uphill slope the other way.
https://imgur.com/eetBEvc
Since this pic I have remounted the headlights - pic next time its out.
jp
peter scott

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good.

Peter
jp928

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another short outing up the street, no problems - just trying to build up confidence that I can get it to the trimmer (< 1km via side streets) without problems. Back home went round and tugged on the wheels - some hub play in left front. Jack up, removed screwed on alloy cap. Play feels and looks like its not fully seated on the inner race. Pull the split pin, tighten the nut as much as can, still have slack. ??? Parts manual no help, just shows bearings, says there are LH and RH threaded bearings - ? Back to Care and Maint manual, which has some sections - the outer races are screwed onto the stub! Remove the outer nut, and can see the inner race has 2 flats on it. Nip that up a bit, until slack is just gone, still turns freely. Interesting that its a RH thread - would have expected , if anything, the LHS to be LH thread? If so, looks like the stub axles have been assembled on the wrong sides? Anyway, slack is gone now. In trying to fit a new split pin I cant get it through. Looks like the new ones are 1/8" (odd seeing we are a metric country!), and the originals are 3mm. Back to the shop again!
jp
jp928

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been laid up for some time now after a shoulder operation - recovery from these is very long and not a lot of fun!
Only observation since radiator came back (and all bits re-installed) - no more leaks! Hooray! Still have some time to go before fit enough to try driving again.
Started the car after several months of sitting - not much cranking required, couldnt ask for smoother running, oil pressure good. Lovely!
jp
jp928

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:59 am    Post subject: Rover 9 Reply with quote

Sorry to have left so abruptly! In the end driving the 9 was too much for my damaged shoulders, and I sold it to a fitter and younger owner. He has done a great job on it, upholstered, covered, registered and is attending rallies in his area - up on the Vic-NSW border.
Here she is in a better condition.

jp
jp928

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:01 am    Post subject: Rover 9 Reply with quote

Sorry to have left so abruptly! In the end driving the 9 was too much for my damaged shoulders, and I sold it to a fitter and younger owner. He has done a great job on it, upholstered, covered, registered and is attending rallies in his area - up on the Vic-NSW border.
Oops! trying to post with a picture link I get 'failed to email, line 234????
jp
bjacko

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:11 am    Post subject: Rover 9 Reply with quote

Just got home from our Rover annual display and saw two Rover 9 cars.
My son's SD1 got 2nd place in the most popular car on display as voted by the members attending. I missed out this time with my SD1 but I got 1st in 2019.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Rover 9 Reply with quote

jp928 wrote:
Oops! trying to post with a picture link I get 'failed to email, line 234????
jp

That looks great. Yes there's a wobble in the forum software (something changed with the hosting company) that sometimes causes an error to pop up when posting a reply to a long-running thread.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: