classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Craftmaster Paints
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration
Rootes75

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:34 pm    Post subject: Craftmaster Paints Reply with quote

Has anyone had any experience of using Craftmaster Enamel?

I just saw a thread on a Morris forum of a chap roller painting his Minor with it?
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think HMG make the Craftmaster paints, or at least did so at one time. They're popular with the narrow boat fraternity I believe, there were plenty of tins for sale last time we visited a large-ish marina near here.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
peppiB

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Becaause of chronic asthma and no longer being able to spray cellulose or 2K, Craftmaster (they are very cooperative and easy to dealwith) mixed me the correct colour for my car. I brush painted it and it looked terrible so the whole lot was removed to bare metal and the whole thing started again, spraying this time - no obnoxious smells from it.

Primer took 3 days to dry and colour top coat 2 days between layers

Colour was a good match BUT the finish made it look like a bus or commercial vehicle

The shine was also unnatural.

After running her for a couple of months I took her to a spray shop to be redone in 2K. Shame the painter was called Blind Pugh - but that is a different story
goneps

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's thread dealing with this topic here:

http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/forum/phpbb/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6540&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0&sid=5f6fc3ae37a26d9b9e5985fa672867ee

Richard
Rootes75

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Wolseley in the thread looks great.

The reason why I am interested is that a couple of my friends in the commercial scene have now used Craftmaster paints and they swear by it. I have seen some of the work first hand and there are no signs of brush marks at all, I have read on their website that you can also spray it?
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peppiB wrote:
Becaause of chronic asthma and no longer being able to spray cellulose or 2K, Craftmaster (they are very cooperative and easy to dealwith) mixed me the correct colour for my car. I brush painted it and it looked terrible so the whole lot was removed to bare metal and the whole thing started again, spraying this time - no obnoxious smells from it.

Colour was a good match BUT the finish made it look like a bus or commercial vehicle

After running her for a couple of months I took her to a spray shop to be redone in 2K. Shame the painter was called Blind Pugh - but that is a different story

Nice to see the 1800, is there a thread running for it? I remember riding in an 1800S that belonged to a pal's dad in the 1970s.

RJ
peppiB

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
peppiB wrote:

Nice to see the 1800, is there a thread running for it? I remember riding in an 1800S that belonged to a pal's dad in the 1970s.

RJ

Rick - in the 10 years I have owned her she has given me so little trouble there wasn't enough of interest for a thread. A few years ago I changed the gearbox and renewed the rear sills, and have changed the head gasket after a bolt fell in (no idea how that happened)

The paint is an ongoing problem for me after the 'Blind Pugh' debacle (gorillas with guns made sure there were no complaints) Thankfully the place has now closed after an armed police raid discovered a drug business. Currently the car is sprayed with rattle cans - pension won't stretch far enough to enable use of another spray shop. The 1800 is my everyday car - easily coping with modern traffic
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even just starting a thread with whatever photos you might have, may tempt other 1800 owners to join up and wade in - more the merrier, etc etc Smile

RJ
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking on the net, some of the finishes with coach enamel are fantastic. Very authentic for a 50's commercial.
goneps

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd been seriously considering using coach enamel, but Craftmaster either can't or won't ship to an overseas address. The only local equivalent I've found has some troubling health warnings, eg. the product contains isocyanates, and requires use of an air-fed mask.

According to a book I have on restoration dating from the 'fifties, coach enamel is not as durable as cellulose and may require touching up from time to time. Considering that the existing cellulose finish was applied forty years ago and still looks pretty good but for general wear and tear, I'm a bit put off by that.

Has anyone experience of coach enamel's durability in the long term?

Richard

Last edited by goneps on Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our S3 Land Rover was repainted in Coach enamel - good make but soon when dull and chalky and after 10 years its had it
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil - Nottingham wrote:
Our S3 Land Rover was repainted in Coach enamel - good make but soon when dull and chalky and after 10 years its had it

Yes, that's pretty much my experience with coach paint. However, given how much easier it is to give it another colour coat or two to refresh it compared to spraying, I don't consider it a massive disadvantage for my own purposes - but then, I like brush painting anyway, sad I know Smile

Another thing to bear in mind with coach paint is that it cured paint can be brittle compared to cellulose, and it will tend to crack and flake on any panel that isn't perfectly rigid and tends to flex a little in use - a Herald boot lid is a good example, but doubtless other classics have similar weaknesses.
norustplease

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have previously painted a couple of cars with Rustoleum using disposable foam gloss rollers, with good results. It self levels very well and you can do odd corners with disposable foam brushes.
The finish was good straight from the roller, slight orange peel, but if you leave it for a few weeks to, harden and then wet sand and polish with a cutting compound, then you can get a good mirror finish. If unsure, get yourself an old steel shelf or similar, prep it as if it were on your car and have a go.
Rustoleum Combi Color comes in a wide range of colours, is easily available in this country (look online) and has an additional advantage of having rust proofing properties. It is also low odour, and is thinned using white spirit. There are various videos on YouTube which should give some encouragement. Its an excellent alternative to a 'cheap' respray and gives a finish that is well up to the standard that you might want for a car that gets used regularly, with the added benefit that its easy to redo a panel if you get a scrape or other problem.

This is a Volvo painted with Rustoleum, straight from the roller.
Boring Tucson SUV
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

norustplease wrote:
I have previously painted a couple of cars with Rustoleum using disposable foam gloss rollers, with good results. It self levels very well and you can do odd corners with disposable foam brushes.
The finish was good straight from the roller, slight orange peel, but if you leave it for a few weeks to, harden and then wet sand and polish with a cutting compound, then you can get a good mirror finish. If unsure, get yourself an old steel shelf or similar, prep it as if it were on your car and have a go.
Rustoleum Combi Color comes in a wide range of colours, is easily available in this country (look online) and has an additional advantage of having rust proofing properties. It is also low odour, and is thinned using white spirit. There are various videos on YouTube which should give some encouragement. Its an excellent alternative to a 'cheap' respray and gives a finish that is well up to the standard that you might want for a car that gets used regularly, with the added benefit that its easy to redo a panel if you get a scrape or other problem.

This is a Volvo painted with Rustoleum, straight from the roller.

I keep hearing good things about Rustoleum, but do you know how well it lasts?
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The finish on the Volvo looks very good. A few videos on youtube give good demonstrations.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: