classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Austin A70 Pick Up - Model ID help
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
interceptor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:30 pm    Post subject: Austin A70 Pick Up - Model ID help Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I have recently come across an Austin A70 pick up and was hoping to get confirmation on the year of manufacture.

I have been looking on the web and from what I can see the pick ups did not start production until 1949 and I believe that this one is the earlier of the two versions the "Hampshire". I have also seen mention of other 1948 model A7 pick ups.

This ute is pretty close to complete and only has a few minor rust areas.

I had planned to rebuild it into a street rod but for me to take advantage of the Australian streetrod regs the vehicle has to be a pre 1949 vehicle hence this post.

I have a chassis number but it is difficult to read, it is - BQ?281707 The ? looks like a large C it appears to be almost 1/3 larger than the other letters and numbers.

The stock number looks like - A15504
The engine number looks like - 1B112828 or 1B112S2?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Noel[img][/img]

Last edited by interceptor on Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:15 am; edited 1 time in total
47Jag

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noel

It is indeed a Hampshire. According to Wiki they were made from 1948-50
There is a rough guide to what year it was built in the Triplex Toughened logo on the glass. Toughened has nine letters and you look for a dot above the corresponding letter. This assumes you know the decade. So you should see a dot above the E or D to indicate '48 or '49 . If the dot isn't above one of the letters it should be at the beginning or end. This is how the tens are shown. For example *toughned would indicate 1950.

You should get in touch with www.austincounties.org.uk . They should be able to help you with your numbers.

Art
mikeC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also check the electrical components; Lucas items are all date-stamped with month and year.
I would suggest you contact BMIHT, who have probably got all the build records from the Austin Motor Company, and may be able to confirm the identity number. Having said that, I think it is unlikely to be pre-1949 as the model was introduced at the autumn Motor Show in 1948, and I would think the initial production would have been all saloons. Also the early cars had the sidelights on the same level as the headlights.
DELETED

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Austin A70 Pick Up - Model ID help Reply with quote

DELETED
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: