classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

F1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
petermeachem

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:49 am    Post subject: F1 Reply with quote

Seems to me to be a bit boring and expensive. What era of racing cars would you pick to replace it?
Riley Blue

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Expensive? Undoubtably. Boring? I don't think so, perhaps occasionally too predictable. I wouldn't replace it as there are plenty of other championships to support if you don't care for it.

1963 Riley 1.5
1965 Riley 1.5
Peter_L

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like so much of life it is down to personal choices.

I don't think the expense is relative, teams either have it or they don't enter F1. Sometimes the result can be predictable barring mechanical failures or driver errors.

There are not many televised F1 races I have not seen, our TV provider here gives us 100% sky coverage Fri, Sat and Race Day, most of the time I watch it slightly after the event and run through bits.

As for personal views. Football (American not Soccer) I find it a complete, bore, over hyped and overpaid. Baseball ? it's OK if all other networks are down, there is 6ft of snow outside and I have lost my reading glasses.

but returning to motor racing, the British Saloon cars and the Australian Bathhurst, plenty of action and changes in positions. The Nascar roundabout can be interesting to watch, but it does seem that 3 hours of racing is often decided in the last 2 laps. If it wasn't for the PVR, I don't think I would watch.

To answer Peter M's question. I enjoyed the F1 from the 70's and 80's the most. Before the 1 million rules, stewards enquiries, restrictions on development, tyres, fuel and maybe the idea that it can one day be 100% safe.
Ellis

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F1 in 1994 and 1995 was quite exciting - the brilliance of Schumacher against the technical superiority of the Williams. One cannot forget the Ayrton Senna tragedy in 1994, of course.
I steer away from "...if only..." scenarios but had Senna lived I think it would have been a classic year.

I used to have all Nigel Mansell's F1 races on VHS until my young nephews recorded Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles over them but there was a rawness and excitement about the way Mansell drove and who will ever forget Mansell and Senna wheel to wheel at the Spanish Grand Prix?

It will never happen but if all the F1 cars were technically and engine equal I'm sure each race would be epic entertainment with the talented drivers of today.
But technical domination is what F1 is all about as the pinnacle of world motor sport.

British Touring Cars is enjoyable.

1964 Jaguar Mark 2 3.4 litre
1962 Land Rover Series 2a 88"
2002 BMW M3 E46 Cabriolet
Riley Blue

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ellis wrote:

I beg to differ. In my opinion the BTCC has degenerated in recent years to a series for dodgem car driving egotistical 'bruisers' who think nothing of deliberately barging a rival driver out of the way. That's not motor racing. You might want to check out the level of penalities handed out by the stewards this year, by halfway through the season 16 drivers had been penalised - disgraceful. Even team bosses agree that the stewards need to be tougher.

1963 Riley 1.5
1965 Riley 1.5
D4B

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would rather watch Caravan Banger racing than anything mentioned above Cool
emmerson

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watching paint dry? Cleaning the oven, perhaps?
Anything, rather than watch so-called "cars" go round in circles!

Not for me, but millions enjoy it, so perhaps I'm the one out of step. Smile
Peter_L

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emmerson wrote:
Watching paint dry? Cleaning the oven, perhaps?
Anything, rather than watch so-called "cars" go round in circles!

Not for me, but millions enjoy it, so perhaps I'm the one out of step. Smile

But you enjoy watching paint dry and cleaning ovens, so each to their own.
Laughing except of course ladies beach volley ball Wink
JohnDale

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

riley541 wrote:
Ellis wrote:

I beg to differ. In my opinion the BTCC has degenerated in recent years to a series for dodgem car driving egotistical 'bruisers' who think nothing of deliberately barging a rival driver out of the way. That's not motor racing. You might want to check out the level of penalities handed out by the stewards this year, by halfway through the season 16 drivers had been penalised - disgraceful. Even team bosses agree that the stewards need to be tougher.

As an ex racer I'm strongly in agreement with David. If it was anything less than televised banger racing, in the other classes of racing for instance, there wouldn't be any racing because they would all have been black flagged & hauled in front of the stewards. It's supposed to be a non-contact sport barring accidental happenings,cheers,JD
BigJohn

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now watch Moto3, Moto2 and MotoGp, unfortunately I always fall asleep when I watch F1, I don't know why, but it just doesn't interest or excite me any more.
Peter_L

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just like JD, I am also an Ex. Back in the day, all or nearly all costs came out of the wage packet so perhaps we viewed it a little differently. EXcept of course if the "red mist" came down and then it could get a bit more close up and personal.

Perhaps winning at all costs is more important today, when sponsorship is the main source of finance.

I am not a big fan of the increased involvement of Stewards, this last F1 from Malaysia as example. I am a 100% Lewis fan, I was an even bigger Nigel fan.
I did not agree with the penalty applied to Nico Rosberg, even if I would have been happier to see a DNF after Lewis's engine committed suicide.
Neither did I agree with Sebastian's penalty and he has never been my favourite. I am not 100% on this but Derek Warwick was there as a steward, not sure if he is at every race now, but when stewards were mentioned it always seemed that his judgement was selective. Wink
Dipster

Location: UK, France and Portugal - unless I am travelling....

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to go back to F1, 2 and 3 in the 60s. Why? Far less "business" around the whole thing and often very close racing, above all in 1 litre "screamer" F3.

Of course the fact that this was my era has, perhaps, slipped rose coloured glasses on my nose......
petermeachem

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, good period. The 1L F3's were terrific. I really liked the Brabham Honda with Daf transmission
Dipster

Location: UK, France and Portugal - unless I am travelling....

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes a Brabham would have been my choice. Brabham chassis were comparatively easy to repair. In F2 a BT18 with the 1 litre Honda engine with a Hewland was a great combination. But not with the DAF transmission. It did not really work well.

I recall the first time I heard one fired up. I was used to the Cosworth SCA but the Honda was deafening! And the Honda factory mechanics worked on it without earplugs...... They must all have been deaf in later life as was Brabham himself in fact.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: