classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Austin-Morris J4 van challenge
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
chrisf

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:11 am    Post subject: Austin-Morris J4 van challenge Reply with quote

Well, I have my latest (and greatest) challenge ready, wasn't sure where to post though really... could have been commercials, or Austin... but anyway, I hope it's alright here.
My name is Chris and I'm living on Anglesey in North Wales and this J4 will be my 4th 'collectable' having 2 motorbikes (BSA M20 & Ariel Red Hunter) and a 1972 Vauxhall Viva.
I bought the van at a local auction a couple of weeks ago having (allegedly) had only 1 owner and covered just over 18,000 miles - I have spoken to the chap who put the van into auction and I found the last MOT in an envelope with an insurance cover note verifying the mileage so I'm quite happy with it.

Lots of welding to do (more than I had hoped), brakes are seized on and there is no compression so the engine is not running... so plenty to keep me busy - I'm starting to ask myself why didn't I pick an easier project though !! A J4 was my first ever (4 wheel) vehicle, I guess that's where the attraction is from, many many years ago!!
Anyway, I've not been able to find much resource on J4's so far and parts (especially panels) seem hard to come by so I'm hoping that you might be able to help via this forum.
I'll keep you posted on the progress as I get on with it.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum - that looks great, and quite a rarity now.

Oily rag, or full restoration?

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
D4B

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum Chris, looking forward to hearing more about your adventures with the J4, excellent fun Cool
kevin2306

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very fond memories of the J4, my dad was a self employed builder and bought one that was previously used as a mobile fish selling van, still stank of fish so was affectionately known as the fish van during its stay with us.
Great project, keep us informed and remember we like lots of pictures

Kev
chrisf

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you... definitely more oily rag than concourse for sure, these vehicles need to be on the road Smile
So special thanks to my brother for coming over today and assisting, I'd have struggled big time otherwise...

Today's updates... managed to get OSR drum off, needs a skim by the looks of it TBC and the big news... actually got it running - YES !! 3 stuck valves, well they have been sitting in the same position for 23 years so no surprise they were a bit stiff... had to rig up a fuel supply as nothing coming from the fuel tank (blockage I think) but yes... sweet as the proverbial nut !!

Think the fuel tank will have to come off to investigate but still the biggest thing is going to be the welding, especially the inner cills... will update when something to report next
chrisf

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of my rusty bits;

Work to do...
chrisf

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not drawing any fuel up from the tank, so dropped it down and found outlet totally blocked... had to use a drill to clear it. sender unit was stuck solid too so hopefully reassemble next few days and hey presto... got a recon kit for the fuel pump and had to weld the throttle pedal all in readiness... see how we get on next...
Seem to have lost the ability to add photos - photobucket won't let me log in anymore and tried flickr to no avail Evil or Very Mad I'll find a way !!
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Work to do indeed but well worth it, at least most of the repair panels will be flat so not too many complex curves to create (in theory).

I'll be following things with interest!

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
chrisf

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I give up with Photobucket... I'll have to find another way when I have more time to waste !!
Latest updates... Fuel tank cleared and back on, drew some new fuel up with the lift pump, a bit of choke and hey presto !! Starts first turn of the key every time - not a knock a rattle or a whisp of smoke, amazing !! Good as new
chrisf

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took the clutch slave cylinder off (after a bit of a struggle), the bit that is supposed to be a piston inside it (I assume) was just powder Crying or Very sad so on to eBay and ordered one from an A60 - looks identical so hopefully will do the job!!
Rear brakes stripped down, parts ordered... brake pipe snapped like a carrot when I tried to move it, and not a very strong carrot either so new brake pipes all round required.
Plan is to get it moving and stopping and then to set to with the rust - I'm really not looking forward to the rust Shocked
D4B

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news, having it running already is a bonus.

With just 18,000 miles and one owner, this project is well worth the effort.

Regarding the welding, have a look here for some inspiration!

http://retrorides.proboards.com/thread/89224/thames-campervan-resto-sleeper-project

Cheers Steve
chrisf

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I've found a new way to upload the photos... TinyPic - dead easy (if it works)...
Hopefully you can see photo of my gummed up fuel pipe - all clear now Smile
chrisf

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link Steve, he's done an amazing job. Mine won't be anything like that though I assure you as I don't have the time, the space or even half of the talent and skill to get to that level... more like a rolling restoration me thinks lol but good to see what other people are able to achieve and what is possible, thank you.
chrisf

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The clutch slave...

I emptied the powdery contents out... new one required...
chrisf

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick update, not been near it since my last post, neither will I this weekend due to other commitments... have ordered lots of bits though, clutch cylinder, wheel cylinder kits, brake pipe terminals... clips / brackets / screws etc. so good to go next weekend hopefully.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: