classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Taxing vehicle
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
petermeachem

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:02 pm    Post subject: Taxing vehicle Reply with quote

I sorned my car in April and the mot has since run out. I've just been trying to tax it, dvla says it doesn't exist? Do I need an MOT before taxing it? If so, is it ok to drive to the mot garage?
misterbridger

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you need an MOT before taxing the car. As long as you have valid insurance you can drive it to the MoT station and back again as long as the test has been pre-booked.
Minxy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming it is of an age where it needs an MOT? You need to have an appointment booked and be driving the car on a direct route to the MOT garage which also needs to be close to you.
petermeachem

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh good. Mot place is just down the road. I suppose the car does not exist message is a programming error and should have said you can't tax it because it has no Mot.
Does not seem easy to ring the dvla. I rang a number and got a message This number is not in use but lots of people ring it. Fixing the web page would surely have been simpler.
Thanks to all, I thought this was a good place to ask
alastairq

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You need to have an appointment booked and be driving the car on a direct route to the MOT garage which also needs to be close to you.

Whilst you do need to have a recorded appointment for the MoT, it does not have to be the nearest one to you [There is nothing specific about that in the Regulations]

For example, if one's local MoT testing centres are all booked up, then one can book an MoT at a centre further away...there is no specific minimum distance laid down.

One also has the 'right' [as in, accepted in a Court of Law] to not have to go via the shortest route...it has been accepted that one can divert en route, for example, to fill up with fuel [otherwise the Test may be terminated....''insufficient fuel for test'' is the excuse now used on the computers]

One also can [on the instruction of the MoT tester] proceed to a public weighbridge to get the vehicle weighed.....the tester has to calibrate the brake testing equipment, and one's vehicle may not be on the 'list'....

All this can also be done without the vehicle actually being registered..ie, may not have had a number plate issued.

I know this, as I have, many moons ago, taken a Cannon sporting trials car, equipped it for the road, and registered it. Really winding up a local beat copper in the process...mind, he did return and apologise for hassling me....showing a quite keen interest in the car ,and what I intended using it for....bless him!
Riley Blue

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for writing the clarification Alastair, I was about to do the same for the second time today. There are so many errors written about what you can and can't do if your car fails its MOT that I now add a link to the government website: https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/after-the-test

1963 Riley 1.5
1965 Riley 1.5
Minxy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my part I would take no unnecessary risks at all.

The polices standing on this is that 'the distance be kept as short as possible'. They also 'suggest' that on unnecessary diversion from the route to the test station 'it may be held that you are using the vehicle for other purposes and the above exemption won't apply'. With respect if was taking a vehicle for an MOT and it required fuel I would nip out and get a couple of gallon in a can. Let's not forget either that whatever the circumstances it's an offence to drive a vehicle that is is not roadworthy (as per the last sentence in the GOV.UK link)and if you are stopped by the police you can, and will, be prosecuted.

In all I would always, personally, look to mitigate risk but each to their own.
alastairq

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the end, it isn't what the Police Officer thinks, or does not think about the matter..

It is for the Court to decide as to whether the individual's actions are reasonable or not, for the circumstances.

That means, a Magistrate, or, if the argument were taken higher, a Judge.

There is no risk associated with the situation.

Other than from misconceptions on the part of the individuals concerned.
colwyn500

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my first MOT after restoration, my car was not registered on the DVLA database and had no number or plates fitted. It was specifically insured for the journey to an MOT, ie. I had written confirmation that this was covered, but it was obviously untaxed.
There was widespread flooding of the roads on the way to the pre-booked and pre-paid MOT so I was forced to choose my own local diversions on my 17 mile journey. At one point I was heading well away from the MOT centre for three miles; I was also driving about almost an hour after my appointment.
After passing the test I took a convoluted and indirect route home because the engine wasn't run-in and my speed was restricted; I also wanted to make the most of my driving treat as there was likely to be a long wait before it was registered.
The Police could have taken one of many opportunities to stop me but at all times I would have been able to give a reasoned argument for my actions. I don't think it is likely that a classic car driver, genuinely not trying to avoid any due taxes or testing, would ever be successfully prosecuted on the day of an MOT.
I think that with a modern car the Law would be applied more literally!
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alastairq wrote:
In the end, it isn't what the Police Officer thinks, or does not think about the matter..

I'd agree, but in order for it to get to a court, surely the PO would have to determine that it's worth taking further?

I sometimes divert from the shortest route to my MOT testing station to get fuel on the way, but I don't take the mickey and go via somewhere distant just for the sake of it. I have read stories of people doing very long journeys (for example bring in car from outside the UK via Dover and book for an MOT at their preferred MOT tester in County Durham) and arguing the point if/when stopped, but it's not a situation I'd want to put myself in.

Incidentally that DVLA page seems to have been updated - there was a point in the last year or so where it was (erroneously) stating that if your car fails an MOT, you can't drive it (assuming it's not dangerous, that is) even if the old MOT was still valid. Nice to see they've fixed it.
Riley Blue

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I was told in the pub last night the likelihood of being nabbed for no MOT is pretty slim. A friend confessed that he'd just made a huge blunder with one of his cars when he went to renew its VED on-line on Sunday and discovered its MOT had expired a few days into September!
He reckoned he'd driven at least 300-400 miles since then including 40 mile trips on the M1, around city centres and almost daily around town. I suppose he might receive a buff envelope containing a NIP any time now but no one thought he would - time will tell...

1963 Riley 1.5
1965 Riley 1.5
Minxy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said I would be looking to mitigate risk. I agree one could drive a dodgy car for months and have no issues at all, on the other hand.........

A case of point - many years ago I did some work at a spealist tuning centre in Leamington Spa. After extensive work on a Golf GTI I took it for road test, quarter of a mile up the road I was stopped by a police car and issued a ticket/ fine for driving a car with incorrect font on the number plate ( it was in italics). In fairness the customer paid the fine on my behalf but he was amazed because the plates had been on the car for years and he lived and worked in London where the car was on the street 24/7.

As my sister ( She is a lawyer) always used to tell her clients ' win or loose you can have your day in court'. I think I would rather avoid it altogether and use common sense.
Riley Blue

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minxy wrote:
As I said I would be looking to mitigate risk. I agree one could drive a dodgy car for months and have no issues at all, on the other hand.........

A case of point - many years ago I did some work at a spealist tuning centre in Leamington Spa. After extensive work on a Golf GTI I took it for road test...

BRMotorsport? If so, I knew Brian and Tina really well.

1963 Riley 1.5
1965 Riley 1.5
Peter_L

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a very simple system here, in fact so easy there is no way the British
bureaucracy system could ever adopt it.

Road Tax. Apply on line and get stickers through the mail. Attach to number plates. Easy for the law enforcers to read. Stickers are not sent if there is no record of insurance. Between application and receipt a downloaded receipt does the job if one is pulled over.

Safety. Annual inspection. A coloured sticker, this year is green, with month number punched out. Attach to windscreen.

Trailers also have to have a "tax" 6 months for $25 and an annual safety. Trailers carry their own licence/number plate. If they have a safety sticker and a valid plate, it can be any trailer if it is close to description.
alastairq

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The UK had something similar which was junked for cost reasons.

Now, using technology [fixed camera sites, mobile vans, ANPR, etc] it is possible to identify if a vehicle has ''tax'' [which it is not....its an Excise Duty]...insurance and a valid MoT.

Enforcement is now all pretty much electronic.

In reality, an MoT really is only valid, on its day-of-issue.

Each driver has a Duty to ensure their vehicle is roadworthy, in legal terms [rather than, opinion?}

Trouble is, folk have become too reliant on the presence of a current MoT as an indication of actual road-worthiness.

Many will buy a car with a long MoT , in the belief they will not have to pay for repair or service for that period.

I recently read on of the tabloid-type Classic [yuk!!] car papers, in which opinion was being expounded over the current MoT-or-not issues we are facing in the UK.

The 'ead of the Oi OI presented a very sensible, factual view, which I agreed with......and opinion was also sought from the various Insurers involved in our world.

Some, presented a very sensible, well grounded view, identifying the legal and practical facts f the matter.

Others presented what amounted to a lay-person's viewpoint, strong on emotive, weak-on-fact, opinion.

Perhaps all a reason why I, personally, belong in the camp of 'go' rather than 'show?'
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: