classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

1968 Triumph 1300 FWD
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
XL391

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:09 am    Post subject: 1968 Triumph 1300 FWD Reply with quote

I've always loved the look of Michelotti's 60's Triumph saloons, the 2000 Mk1 and its smaller stablemate the 1300. I came close to a 2000 Mk1 last Christmas before I decided I'd had enough of being messed around by the seller. I had a pretty strict budget and a decent 2000 Mk1 was pushing it so I began to look at 1300s.

After seeing a few overpriced rotters, including one that was described as 'mint, requiring minor cosmetics' that in the flesh looked like it had been at the bottom of the North Atlantic since first registration, this little beauty appeared for sale 5 miles from my house on the day I'd agreed to go and view one in Essex.

Decided I didn't have enough on my plate with one restoration on the go so I decided to take the plunge with this last week...

It's had two owners, one of whom never drove it so it's had the one lady owner from new with 46k miles on it which I reckon could be genuine. It's still on its original (perished) cross plies! It was bought from nearby from a garage in Crosby, Liverpool. I wonder if these adverts for the selling dealer caught her eye?

Condition wise, the floors, sills, boot floor, doors, all rock solid. Never been welded, nor do they need it. The rear wheelarch on the drivers side is a bit frilly and the wing bottoms have rusted through. The LH inner wing behind the strut turret requires some fresh tin and the extremities of the scuttle.

It was a non runner due to an ignition fault but I've found that it's the wire from the coil to the fuse box, severed at the bulkhead. So, up on the ramp this week, new fuel line and the engine block flushed and the rad refitted, hopefully, we'll have a runner this week! Few more pics:

I didn’t do a great deal with it after this, it was pushed into a corner of the lock up and left alone. I did manage to get it running, unbelievably it started first turn of the key after 16 years of inactivity...

https://youtu.be/DYJ0vPKV5bU

The reason for the lack of progress is the work I'm doing on another big project, not likely to be finished before 2018. The bodyshell of that one goes away for blasting, welding and painting soon so last week I took pity on the old girl just sitting in the corner.

I decided to push her out of her resting place and have a good look over it to see what it'll take to get it roadworthy again. I reckon £800 will get it on the road again, I'll do a full resto if it needs it after I've finished the other car. The biggest challenge is the wing and scuttle repairs. I refuse to bodge it up so both front wings and the front doors will be coming off to get at the scuttle, A-pillars and inner wing areas and add any fresh metal required along the way. Got a nice NOS wing for £15 off Ebay...

I had reconnected the old fuel system but the car was continually stalling due to all the crud in the line from the tank. Blowing through with an airline had no effect so with some old brake pipe I made a new fuel line. It now runs longer but eventually still stalls. More investigation needed.

So, I've done a list, I'll update you as I work through it.

Will

1972 Daimler Sovereign 4.2 Series 1
1965 Sunbeam Tiger Mk1
1968 Triumph 1300

Last edited by XL391 on Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
ka

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Refresh my memory please, was the Dolomite rear wheel drive, and the Toledo front, and which model had the exposed starter giving that distinctive noise when starting?

Better three than four.
XL391

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These were the start of the family and were front wheel drive with the exposed starter ring gear. They are noisy! This was followed by the 1500FWD which looked like a Dolomite. Also introduced at this time was the Toledo which was RWD and available as a two door. The Dolomite was introduced and the Dolly 1300 and 1500 replaced the FWD cars and the Toledo. Confusing!

Will

1965 Sunbeam Tiger Mk1
1968 Triumph 1300
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice car, they've always struck me as being good cars that are often overlooked. I remember being impressed by the window-winder handles that folded flush into the door trim panels when out of use (iirc).

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
XL391

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's right Rick. Well engineered little cars and well appointed for a small 60s saloon. This one still has the plastic on the door cards!

Will

1965 Sunbeam Tiger Mk1
1968 Triumph 1300
alastairq

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Scuse me higgerance but......which/when did the Toledo fit in? Smile
XL391

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alastairq wrote:
'Scuse me higgerance but......which/when did the Toledo fit in? Smile

Alistair, Triumph were disappointed with the sales performance of the 1300 and the complexity of it so the bodyshell was re-engineered for RWD to make it cheaper to build. It was face lifted with two small square headlights and simpler rear lights and renamed the Toledo. The Toledo and the 1500 FWD, which has the longer rear end, split front grille and quad headlights like a Dolomite, were launched in 1970 to replace the 1300 range.

Will

1965 Sunbeam Tiger Mk1
1968 Triumph 1300
alastairq

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile

Thanks for that....couldn't remember whether Toledo was FWD or RWD.....
XL391

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, exactly 2 years ago I bought this little Triumph and nothing has been done to it. Mainly because of the greedy curse word on the far end of this line hoovering up lots of time and pllllllenty of money.

The body of the Sunbeam is out of the way now having some major work done so after completing the major winter servicing work on the Jag, I’m pretty much twiddling my fingers.

So, on Sunday after ordering a RH wing for it (sadly not as cheap as the LH one I bought), I decided it was time to crack on with this and get to work bringing it back to life. With The Boss (Other Half) restricting financial outlay due to house hunting activities, I had to be cute to get this proposal passed by the board. I said that I have most of the stuff required to complete it and it just needed a few ‘consumables’. I don’t thing a wing and a new Mig are classed as consumables normally, but for her benefit that is exactly what they’ll be classed as.

On Monday I got to work stripping down. Everything has come apart reasonably well up to now with no bad surprises. I was dreading what the front panel which makes up the Grille opening and headlight apertures would look like but it’s just minor surface rust.

Hopefully I’ll have the passenger wing off by next week, I’ll keep you posted on what I find under there...

Will

1965 Sunbeam Tiger Mk1
1968 Triumph 1300
XL391

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So last weekend I had the wing removed revealing what lay ahead. Although initially this looks pretty bad, I’m actually quite pleased.

The car was undersealed from new with some thick bitumen based gloop and it’s done a phenomenal job of protecting this little car. It’s also been remarkably easy to chisel off.

There is some rot to attend to though. This has been confined to the areas on the car that were unable to be rust proofed.

I knew the inner sills were fine but after seeing the size of this hole I was wondering how much of the middle sill would’ve been consumed by the Tin Termites.

I was surprised, not to mention delighted, when I peered down the length of the sill with a torch to reveal this...

So, after removing the last of the gash metal I checked the fitment of the NOS wing which was damn near perfect.

I’ve made a start cleaning up the rusty metal to see what is salvageable and what is being fabbed. I’ve started making repair sections for the sill which is the first area I’m going to sort out.

More pics soon.

Will

1965 Sunbeam Tiger Mk1
1968 Triumph 1300
XL391

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of boring adult stuff has been getting in the way of this in the last 6 months. I want to have it roadworthy for Summer so I’m going to be spending as much time as I can at my Man Cave over the Winter to hopefully achieve this.

I’d decided to start at the LHF sill edge. I cleaned up the rust back to bare metal to be pretty much left with this.

Cutting this out left me with this before I began to fabricate the repair sections to go into here. At this point I decided to cut out the bottom of the wheelarch, sill and jacking point, deciding to make these from scratch.

As I said in my last post, the remainder of the sill was in superb condition. After spraying rust converter into the sill to take care of the surface rust, I etch primed over the top before sealing the area up.

The inner splash panel was probably saveable, requiring a repair at the bottom, but it was covered in surface rust. By the time it would’ve took to repair and get rid of the surface clag, I decided to fabricate a new one from scratch and slap it on.

This area now looks a hell of a lot better...

With this bit complete it’s now onto by far the worst area of the car, the inner wing strengthener and scuttle area.

I was worried about the rot around the scuttle so I decided to remove the dash last week to see how bad it was. Thankfully it was rock solid in there.

I took the dash home for two reasons. Firstly and most importantly to annoy the Missus and secondly to strip it down and clean it up.

The chrome and dials have come up a treat but the wood is in worse condition than I thought. Thankfully my cousin has refinished a few Classic Car dashboards so these pieces will be getting dropped off with him next week.

Hopefully another update soon after getting stuck into the inner wing.

Thanks for reading.

Will

1965 Sunbeam Tiger Mk1
1968 Triumph 1300
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always enjoy reading your updates, you've given the Triumph section another stay of execution Smile

RJ
emmerson

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks a cracking job, but I can't see it because the pics are twice the size of my 19" screen!
XL391

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emmerson wrote:
That looks a cracking job, but I can't see it because the pics are twice the size of my 19" screen!

I’m not sure why my pics do this, they are fine on the other forums I post to. Any ideas why Rick?

Will

1965 Sunbeam Tiger Mk1
1968 Triumph 1300
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only assume that some forums have the built-in facility to re-size oversize photos down to a more manageable size. I still prefer seeing large photos to none at all though, so carry on!!! Smile

RJ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: