classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Ford Popular 103e new to me
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Paul fairall

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ran wiring front to rear for the indicators, fitted front indicators and removed those hideous teddy bear ears from the roof. At least other road users will see them as they are now where they expect them to be.
GARAGE HERMIT

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's the first thing i'd do if i bought a pop with the micky mouse ear indicator's on, take them off,
they cant have been factory fitted, surely not,
Paul fairall

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GARAGE HERMIT wrote:
that's the first thing i'd do if i bought a pop with the micky mouse ear indicator's on, take them off,
no, they came without indicators.
Paul fairall

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost a year since I posted in this thread but I have posted in other threads I started. I was working toward fitting twin su's but have since bought a supercharger, it's an Aisin amr500 usually found on small Subaru and other Japanese cars. It has its own oil, so doesn't need an oil supply from the engine or water cooling, although I may fit an inter cooler if needed. I've finally decided to make a new crankshaft pulley with a PK belt pulley in front of the v pulley for the dynamo, all machined from one piece. Once brackets have been fabricated and the charger mounted I will make an inlet plate to mount an SU HIF4 and an outlet to an aquaplane inlet manifold. Also fit the aquaplane exhaust manifold. I fitted a rev counter, much to the amusement of those I talked to, more to check the rpm at 60mph, so I could calculate the pulley required to give 5psi boost. I also have a boost gauge to fit and will get a matching water temperature gauge. I will be fitting an electric water pump and cooling fan. When I told people I was fitting a supercharger they sniggered and thought I was joking and said " you will need to improve the brakes " but I told them I wasn't intending driving any faster but want to get up hills faster than 20mph with a queue of modern cars in tow.

Last edited by Paul fairall on Sat May 26, 2018 4:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
alastairq

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brakes are better than highfalluting hydraulics, if set up properly....no worries about bleeding brakes, or water in the fluid.
Paul fairall

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alastairq wrote:
brakes are better than highfalluting hydraulics, if set up properly....no worries about bleeding brakes, or water in the fluid.

I'm getting used to the brakes and allowing more space between me and the car in front. Brakes could do with a good going over.
GARAGE HERMIT

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul,
hope to see some pic's,
Paul fairall

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GARAGE HERMIT wrote:
paul,
hope to see some pic's,
if possible to do I would be glad to
GARAGE HERMIT

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul if you cant post pic's directly onto here, just PM me them,
Paul fairall

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been busy lately, firstly having lens implants, first my right eye and two weeks no driving, then more time not wanting to get dust in it. Then the left eye has meant from June until now not done much on the car. Removed the vinyl roof insert and found the channel for the rubber seal full of holes rusted badly. So I bought a glass fibre roof that looks like the vinyl and did a temporary fit with self drilling screws, later I will paint the roof and fit the insert with the rubber seal. Just lately I've had trouble with fuel vapourisation and I think it's due to an exhaust leak from between the exhaust and inlet manifolds, heating up the engine bay. I removed it today and found the face of the exhaust manifold where the hotspot plate goes corroded and one side doesn't have a flat surface and is less than 1mm wide. So I made a start on fitting the aquaplane manifolds that I will eventually use with the blower, but until then I will use twin su's. I've found a way to sort out the dipstick issue, the original tube hits the exhaust manifold, so I'm going to cut it short and join on a longer tube with bends to miss the exhaust manifold. The longer tube will be clamped to the original. I bought a flexy dipstick from the breakers today, I have measured it against the original to work out the length required for the tube. Can't do photos as I've not found a hosting site that works since photobucket
Paul fairall

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've decided not to go to all the hassle of cutting the bulkhead to accommodate the twin su's for a short time and instead I am making a one into two manifold to bolt to the aquaplane manifold and use the existing carb. Later I will run a pipe from this manifold to the blower.

Last edited by Paul fairall on Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul fairall wrote:
GARAGE HERMIT wrote:
no, they came without indicators.

They were a period option though, possibly a factory option, quite a few Pops had them back in the day.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Paul fairall

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I've sorted the dipstick tube, had to cut the existing tube much shorter than first thought, this allows connection to the new longer tube without too tight a bend which makes it much harder to push the dip stick through. The tube comes through a gap between inlet and exhaust manifolds and keeps it straighter. I cut two steel flanges to mate to the aquaplane inlet manifolds two inlets. These will have bends welded to them and a tee piece for the carb and later the blower outlet pipe in place of the carb.
I started cutting out the flange that mates to the carb. I noticed the carb has a 1" outlet hole where the butterfly is and a hole about 6-8mm on one side in line with the mounting holes. The gasket has a hole on each side that breaks into the 1" hole, I suppose so there is no wrong way to fit it. I was thinking the manifold would need that small hole the same as the carb and gasket, but no the existing inlet manifold doesn't have that hole.
Paul fairall

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I picked up an oxygen bottle from hobby weld, I did have a boc account for many years but for the past five years I've not used it so they closed it, anyway their rental charges are extorniate and hobby weld is a one off payment. I can now use mapp gas and oxygen. I cut my hoses down to about three metres, my mate always used to complain that my 30' hoses held half a bottle. Got my torch set up and heated the copper refrigeration bends so I could flare one end with pliers to match the holes in the flanges. Then silver soldered them on. Bolted onto the aquaplane manifold and tack welded the bends to a tee with pipe between. I ran out of silver solder so will weld the flange on the tee for the carb when I get some more. Hope to get the car running for Thursday evening for the last classic car and bike meet this year.
47Jag

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul,

Wouldn’t brazing be strong enough? I always feel welding puts too much heat into the work.

Art
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: