classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Could you live with an electric car?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
Ellis

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:43 am    Post subject: Could you live with an electric car? Reply with quote

[img]

I had an interesting conversation this afternoon with the owner of a Tesla S in a Bangor (North Wales) retail park car park. I have seen the occasional Tesla on the road but have not had the opportunity to see one close up.
My first impression was how large and wide the Tesla is as well as being a very handsome car.

The owner had bought it, a dark metallic wine colour last year as an 18 month old example with 15k miles and he had previously owned a late BMW 5 series diesel, a 530D. He told me he was delighted with the Tesla and looking at the sumptuous and futuristic interior I could see why.

But there is always a "but". He had adjusted to its immense power and silence and had a home charging facility. However, he admitted any journey over 120 miles or so induces nervousness. Factor in inclement weather when headlights, windscreen wipers and the climate control systems are in operation the "range" forecast reduces "alarmingly" (his words). The version he had was, I think, a P85D, with a range of around 240 miles and with the batteries now approaching 3 years old they would decline in charge capacity.

He was unsure whether he would buy another.

There are quite a number of Nissan Leafs locally both car and van versions and the feedback is that they are ideal for local use - 10 - 40 miles but cold weather does take it's toll on their range

Would you buy an electric car?

I think I would for short run daily use but would also have an internal combustion one for the peace of mind of longer range travel.

Your opinions please.[/img]

1964 Jaguar Mark 2 3.4 litre
1962 Land Rover Series 2a 88"
2002 BMW M3 E46 Cabriolet
Penman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
With a terraced house, front door straight onto pavement, and no rear yard vehicular access, I'd have to leave it parked on the local (2mls) charging point and get a taxi home and back; could use my bus pass I suppose if it was after 09:30.

Simple answer No.
Now if it was a proper hybrid, normal engine running at constant speed generating power for electric motors (ala diesel/electric trains) and then switchable to battery for in towns; well then possibly.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
D4B

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Brother in Law commutes from Gloucester to Cardiff every day in a Nissan Leaf. He recharges it for free on the motorway each way, but of course this adds time to his journey.

He enjoys mocking my Series Land Rover for it's heavy fuel consumption...

My commute to work is a 300 yard walk

Cool
mikeC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only electric car I would consider would be an early 20th Century example like a Baker or a Milburn!

The practicalities - or should I say impracticalities - of running a modern one fail to impress me; the only public charging facility that I am aware of within a thirty mile radius is at a local Sainsburys ... and that is always blocked by some inconsiderate shopper in a petrol (or diesel) car! Until there is a nation-wide network of quick-charge points, an electric car remains just a gimmick.
peter scott

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not rich enough to happily take on high value fast depreciating assets and hard worked batteries certainly come into that category. So my current strategy of buying older depreciated cars just won't apply given that I'm likely to face a heavy bill for battery replacement in such cars.

I'm a member of what used to be called the IEE and in their magazine this month there is a list of their top 5 electric cars. I was very surprised at the maximum ranges claimed.

1. Renault Zoe
£17,795
up to 402 km
0-62 13.5

2. Hyundai Ioniq
£28,356
280 km
0-62 9.9

3. Tesla Model X
£81,000
up to 482 km
0-62 2.8 - 5.2

4. Nissan Leaf
£26,125
200 - 250 km
0-62 11.5

5. BMW I3
£31,810
241 km
0-60 7.2

They are all well over the outlay that I would take on as a fast depreciating "asset".
Would I buy one second hand? Only if the price plus battery replacement cost came into my comfort zone for say 10 years of ownership.

One other thing I would seriously weigh up is the aspect of interior comfort. If I bought a small electric car would I be happy with electrically heated seats and steering wheel? (Thoughts of sit and freeze to get that extra distance.)

Peter

Last edited by peter scott on Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:34 am; edited 1 time in total
alastairq

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a poor history with extension leads....................hat, coat, taraah!
peter scott

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking further about the Renault Zoe.

It claims a maximum range of 400km and lets say it travels at 100km/h so the battery needs to last for 4 hours and it has a capacity of 40kWh so the suggestion is that the Zoe can travel at 100 km/h from the power of 10kW.

The are 746 watts in a horsepower so it only needs 13.4 hp!

That seems quite small. The drag requires the hp to increase by the square of the speed. A more credible power to maintain 100km/h might be 25 hp.

Let's try running at 75 km/h that needs us to run for 5.3 hours giving us a power of 7.5 kW or 10 hp. If my figure of 25 hp is the right order of things for 100 km/h then at 75 km/h that drops to 14 hp so a bit closer to the 10 hp we have available.

Translating into UK speak I guess you need to travel a something less than 45 mph to get the 240 mile range.

Peter
BigJohn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the moment, I cannot see me in an electric car, but look at the progress being made in development. When I was small the only electric road vehicles I came in contact with were milk floats.
What does annoy me is the sandal knitters seem to be deluded into thinking the fuel is free.
What about the disposal of the materials in the batteries at the end of life?
Where did these materials come from originally, and what was needed to obtain them?
Then the magic non-nuclear fairy provides power down the recharging lead, mmmm. (scratches chin)
billysugga

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea but as stated the range would have to be better and battery life longer or cheaper to replace.
The other thing I would need is storage for my tools in the back so I could get to filling stations to repair their fuel pumps. But if everyone had one I wouldn't need to would I dohhh.

I do feel a bit guilty at times owning the things I have, but the only saving grace is that neither of them work so the fuel consumption is quite good.
JohnDale

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always go for the Volvo T8 XC90 - 2.0 ltr diesel, supercharged & turbocharged to get the power, with extra load of batteries which by themselves give a range of 24 whole miles,for the princely sum of approx £65K before you start adding the toys. I'm a fan of my Volvo but I won't be rushing to purchase one as described, even if I could afford it. I doubt very much whether I would ever have an electric powered or hybrid car,cheers,JD.
47Jag

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

I have a friend in Arizona who has a BMW i8 hybrid. With a 3 cylinder 1 1/2 litre engine and (I think) an electric motor in each wheel. Man! does that thing fly. Shocked Priced at over £100K it's beyond the reach of mere mortals like me.

Art
peter scott

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently modern diesels emit virtually no particulates from their exhausts and it is predicted that by 2020 wear from brakes and tyres will eclipse all other sources of health risk particles. Electric vehicles are heavier than fossil fueled types and also require heavier braking. I guess regenerative braking does help though.

Peter
47Jag

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diesels are being made out as the current environmental bogey man by the government for (IMHO) revenue generation purposes. If they latch on to taxing brake pads and tyres Lord help us all.

Art
peter scott

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where there's a will there's a way.

47Jag

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good one Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Art
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: