classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Just bought a Pop 103e, 1957
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Paul fairall

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've looked into all the permutations of different size wheels, widening the original wheels to take radial tyres in 17" and it's far to complicated. Without changing the axle and suspension set up smaller, wider wheels may foul on the wishbones. TT tools make wheel adapters so you could change the stud pattern to a wheel and tyre of your choice but as others have said the steering will be heavier and it may cause problems with the flimsy steering parts. I decided to keep mine as it is, it's far more entertaining as it is.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul fairall wrote:
I've looked into all the permutations of different size wheels, widening the original wheels to take radial tyres in 17" and it's far to complicated. Without changing the axle and suspension set up smaller, wider wheels may foul on the wishbones. TT tools make wheel adapters so you could change the stud pattern to a wheel and tyre of your choice but as others have said the steering will be heavier and it may cause problems with the flimsy steering parts. I decided to keep mine as it is, it's far more entertaining as it is.

If you want to go down the "period" alternative wheel rim route, tuning firm Ballamy produced 15" steel rims (standard width) with drilled circular holes around the circumference, to fit the Ford hub. They were often fitted to Pop-based specials and the like. They're pretty rare but do turn up from time to time. If you want the 1950's tweaked look, it may be worth hunting down a set, they'd certainly complement Aquaplane tuning gear etc (I wouldn't bother with the repro AQ stuff, try and find the originals).

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
GARAGE HERMIT

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul,

yes, it has a regulator box,

another thing i've noticed, on some pop's there's one windscreen wiper, on other's like mine there's two, why,?
Greg

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely looking Pop, with regards to the single or double wipers..apparently it was an 'Optional Extra' to have the second one fitted but I've also heard that some cars were actually fitted with a second one at the factory anyway?
My Pop has two wipers..the secondary one working via a tandem or push/pull rod system...the car is in its original condition and the original bill of sale has no mention of any 'extras' having been fitted.
Hope you enjoy your little Pop as much as I enjoy mine👍🏼😄

All the best
Greg
Paul fairall

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You two are just posh, mine has one wiper and I'm keeping it that way.
Very Happy after driving it 40 miles in pouring rain and light fading the day I bought it, the wiper not working and just relying on some rainex to make the rain bead, I am more than happy with one wiper working.
GARAGE HERMIT

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aquaplane tuning gear etc (I wouldn't bother with the repro AQ stuff, try and find the originals).

RJ[/quote]

what's wrong with the repo aquaplane equipment produced now,?
i've heard it's cast from the original mould's, is this not true,?
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GARAGE HERMIT wrote:
Aquaplane tuning gear etc (I wouldn't bother with the repro AQ stuff, try and find the originals).

RJ

what's wrong with the repo aquaplane equipment produced now,?
i've heard it's cast from the original mould's, is this not true,?[/quote]

It didn't look as nice as the originals, and the linkages etc just seemed cheaper. I once owned a Prefect that had repro twin SU AQ setup on it, but I much preferred the 1950's set of twin SU MC2 carbs on an original AQ manifold that my old Ashley 1172 had. Just a preference for proper old-school choke linkages etc etc, any mods to old cars should look period-correct to keep me interested, but this is a just personal preference. I never got the Prefect to run right either, but that may have been user error Smile

RJ
Classicars

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Garage Hermit,
I have been driving my Popular 103E for more than 25 years on Avon Tourist tyres 5.25-16 with no problems at all. Good steering even on slow speed, good brakes and acceptable road holding for a such a car. Your Ford is very nice with that attractive colour.
[img][/img]
GARAGE HERMIT

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

classicars,
look's like you've a good one there,
GARAGE HERMIT

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a few more question's,

spark plug's,
in the engine now are NGK/R-BPR6HS,
bought some plug's from SFS, CHAMPION L86C, listed for the pop,
in the ford book i have plug's are listed as CHAMPION L10,
so are the CHAMPION L86C and the NGK/R ok for the pop, or is there something else i should use,

oil,
original ford spec for the engine was straight 30, but i've read 20/50 Heritage classic oil is supposed to be ok, also Golden film sae30 has been recomended, any other recommendation's,

wheel's,
i've read that ford prefect 16" wheel's will fit on the pop hub's, and you can use 175 x 80 x 16 taxi tyre's, anyone used this set-up,

door's,
is there supposed to be any kind of rubber seal around the door's, as where the top hinge is i can see into the car,
last one for now, where can i buy a rear hub puller,
i've just sent my m/ship form off to the side valve owner's club, not sure if they sell one,

thank's with any of the above,
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't comment on plugs as I only had L10s in my E83Ws, but if SFS say they're suitable then that should be good enough.

A "heritage" or "classic" 20/50 would be fine in the engine, Golden Film is a Morris Oils product iirc and should be ok also.

Yes Pop wheels will fit, I'm not sure how well it'd drive/steer on taxi radials tbh, and whether there'd be any real benefit. As mentioned before I'd be looking out for a set of Ballamys if it was mine, they're 15" in diameter and a period mod for tweaked Pop-based cars.

Keep an eye on ebay for a puller. This one says suitable for 8hp & 10hp Fords - plus the 100E which surprised me tbh, may be worth checking: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Hub-Puller-for-all-8-10-H-P-Power-Cars-inc-100e-Popular-Prefect-etc-/192146647514?hash=item2cbcd529da:g:q5AAAOSwdGFY3sbm

RJ
GARAGE HERMIT

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank's rick,

appreciate the link for the puller,

thing is, if using ballamy 15" wheel's, you would have to change the back axle ratio, think i'll just go for the prefect 16" wheel's, probably heavier on the steering, but there'll be more rubber on the road, which is what i'm after,
alastairq

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use 175/80x16 taxi radials on the rear of my Dellow [which, as standard, came with larger tyres on the rear]....

They're very good.

Given their prices, I suggest buying 2[3?] 16 inch wheels, and getting them fitted up with taxi tyres, and use on the rear.

The Ford Prefect [the 4 door upright] used 16 inch wheels as the car was a lot heavier than the Anglia/Pop....so Ford used smaller diameter wheels to up the gearing, to allow the 1172 engine to pull the extra weight.

Whether one would 'need' a different final drive ratio with 15 inch wheels is debateable.....the rolling radius is the key.

Ballamy wheels are quite rare anyway. VW wheels can be 'made' to fit, but they are not an exact, comfortable fit....the difference between metric and imperial measurements.

NGK B6HS for 10 hp engines, with iron heads...... B6ES for aquaplane alloy heads...on 100E
Classicars

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re-rubber mouldings/extrusions, have a look at this http://www.rubbertrim.co.uk/ Edgware Motor Rubber & Trim and this http://scottsoldautorubber.com.au/ Scott's Old Auto Rubber
I am attaching a photo of the rubber moulding on the doors of my POP.
[/img][img][/img]
GARAGE HERMIT

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VW wide 5's PCD is 205mm, pop PCD is 204.15mm, very close, but the backspace on the VW wheel's rule them out anyway, it's too much,

17" pop wheel's use 100% aspect ratio tyre's, so using a 15" wheel, even with a 100% AR, you're RR would still be less than the pop wheel, hence the change of the back axle ratio,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 2 of 17

Jump to: