classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Question about brake light switch.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Paul fairall

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject: Question about brake light switch. Reply with quote

My brake lights didn't work so I removed the switch and repaired it temporarily until I can get a new one. It is connected to the brake pedal/linkage by a chain and that doesn't seem right to me. Should it have a spring? I have a Ford workshop manual and there's no mention of the switch.
Anyone able to tell me what connects the switch to the pedal.
alastairq

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A chain.

Sorry! They do work rather well, considering. The bottom of the brake pedal swings towards the driver, so the chain is pulled..... Sad
Paul fairall

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered a new one.
Another question, I have an electronic ignition to fit and it says the distributor will need to be rotated one way or the other as it will no longer be a rotor arm on the cam lobe. It looks like a strobe cannot be used as it says to turn the timing pin round and locate the indent in the sprocket, surely this won't be much use for setting up the electronic ignition.
alastairq

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will get you started.
Time statically first.
Paul fairall

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alastairq wrote:
It will get you started.
Time statically first.
as its already running should I just fit it and see how it runs. When you say statically, ok, but then after you must mean with the engine running, is it a matter of turning the distributor and listening.
ka

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The instructions for the ignition system give directions on how to fit it to obtain a 'near enough to start' setting for the timing. When running, a strobe is the only way to get it as accurate as the markers will allow. This will mean rotating the Dizzy to get it timed.
Do you have timing marks on the crankshaft pully to use as accurate marks?

Better three than four.
alastairq

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Set timing using the pin first.

As Ka says, that will get you started.
There is minor adjustment for better performance using the little screw and scale, on the cylinder head top, underneath the distributor body [if, from another post, it is free?]

On mine, I then marked the crankshaft pulley [tippex is good, or file a tiny notch?]...in line with some sort of fixed point on the front cover behind it.

[Or, araldite a small piece of pointy tin to the front cover, aligned with the mark or notch on pulley as above?]

If you measure the pulley diameter, then draw a circle on a bit of paper at that diameter, you could ten measure & mark 5 degrees, 10 degrees, and so on, on the circumference...and transfer the distances between those marks with scratches or whatever, to the front cover of the engine.

Anything will do, so long as they provide a comparison when using the strobe...then, you can advance or retard the distributor timing...mathematical accuracy isn't important here.....getting a fixed reference point is the thing.

Once running, go out and do some timing runs on a quiet bit of road [preferably with a gentle uphill bit??]

What you are after, is finding the point [in top gear?] where pinking starts to be heard.

The dizzy then needs to be backed off a tad...this will give you the 'best' full advance point.
...the timing marks allow you to find how far back you turn the dizzy, for best performance.
B making your own timing marks, using a strobe, then you can find the 'optimum' dizzy timing point....and play around with it a bit?
Paul fairall

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you may already know the distributor is seized and will not turn to adjust. I fitted the electronic ignition and it starts and runs fine. Took it for a short run and got up to 50mph easily. Will mark the pulley when I remove the engine during the winter.
alastairq

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See my post in your other thread? Smile
GARAGE HERMIT

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul fairall wrote:
As you may already know the distributor is seized and will not turn to adjust.

mine was siezed too, i soaked it with wd40, left it overnight, then persuade'd it out with a plastic mallet, took quite a while to get it out though,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: