classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Home and garage security
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
Ellis

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 11:11 pm    Post subject: Home and garage security Reply with quote

I had an unpleasant reminder that we live in a different world these days in having had a nocturnal visitor, an intruder, who made off with my expensive new pressure washer.
He managed to open the garage door and there is evidence that he tripped or fell over my big hydraulic jack and landed on one of the petrol strimmers.
The shaft is bent and the cutting head damaged.

The irony is that I am about to fit a new garage door with a deadbolt lock.

So, I am having to reconsider my entire house and garage security.
Where does one start?
Multiple security lights for a start to all come on when even one sensor detects movement.

How far does one go? I don't know whether to seek the advice of a home security company or ask an electrician to install as good a system as we both can agree on.
It's very tempting to " go over the top" in devices and expense.

What are your thoughts please?

1964 Jaguar Mark 2 3.4 litre
1962 Land Rover Series 2a 88"
2002 BMW M3 E46 Cabriolet
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I dislike intensely the proliferation of CCTV, I did find myself looking on Amazon a month or two back at some of the multi-camera household installations that are around. I may still opt for something along those lines.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Peter_L

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
Although I dislike intensely the proliferation of CCTV, I did find myself looking on Amazon a month or two back at some of the multi-camera household installations that are around. I may still opt for something along those lines.

RJ

We have x number of cameras. Hardwired via Ethernet, not wireless. The criminal boffins know how to switch off or disturb wireless and it also gives the really clever criminal boffins a potential access to your home network.
A $/£ 100 camera is also no match against a 1$ laser pet toy.

See before you buy, some systems are so quality deficient that it is difficult to even recognise yourself. Good night vision is a must......... and don't over emphasise the fact you even have them, "hide in plain sight", such as dummy drain pipe/down spout - sewer vent pipe - flood light - garden furniture - wall sundial. Imagination is king.

In our situation, it is useful to know who is approaching the house, who maybe taking an unhealthy interest when we are not around or approaching from a non preferred direction. Then there is the fun side, wildlife spotting.

Some consider them to be an invitation working on the theory that you don't point security cameras at the rubbish/garbage bin.

We are fortunate to live in perhaps the lowest crime rate area I have known since I was a child, but it is not as crime free as it was 20, 30,+ years ago.
Deterrent is one part, reducing temptation a second and if Mr or Mrs/Miss Theaving Bhastered do come a calling it is nice to have good pictures.
alastairq

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Deterrent is one part, reducing temptation a second and if Mr or Mrs/Miss Theaving Bhastered do come a calling it is nice to have good pictures.

All of which is fine 'n dandy.....but of little use if the Constabulary are not able to pursue the matter because of cost constraints, manpower issues, time, money, or whatever?

In the end, it is the Insurance which takes up the slack.....maybe they should be allowed/encouraged to follow up the evidence?

But then, we enter the realms of 'private' vigilante-ism, or, more bluntly, enforcement for those who can afford to pay?

Where-I-live, we have an active neighbourhood watch system [aka mass curtain twitchers?]...random/odd/unknown visitors can be made to feel distinctly unwelcome.......stand at the end of someone's driveway, and one will be swooped upon by various sundry suspicious residents.
[Ask the poor contractor who was wandering around surveying trees around the power cables??]

When the local area constable came a-visiting, the sage advice given was for the Parish Council to not pursue the fitment of street lighting.

The Police theory being, streetlights attract unwanted attention.....being dark-as-the-pits-of-'ell means, an intruder does not know who or what is out there, watching him?

Fostering the belief that every household may possess a shotgun or six helps too.....[being a rural area, of course we do.] ........and we all have dogs as big as the hounds-of-'ell too...don't we? Next door's ginger tom will have yer eyes out after dark, given the chance......

All the myth helps deter, to an extent.

Having one's tools and stuff all scratched and knackered-looking also aids their lack of ability to raise funds....

Plus, an appropriate insurance policy? Smile
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was most disappointed when the police came to our offices some years back after the concrete panel fencing had all been kicked in. "We can't do anything unless you've got CCTV showing clear faces", and I wondered whether actually doing some investigating was out of the question. I also thought that if I had clear images of faces, I'd be printing them off and sticking them to lamp-posts all around town, though I'm sure I'd get a fine for doing that.

I exported one of my cars to Australia, while it was on the way the new owner sent me a photo of a visitor to his porch. I wonder whether this might be a suitable deterrent.

Monty's grown a bit by Mike Edwards, on Flickr
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Showing clear faces/identities is the killer with CCTV. Most of the kit out there doesn't give terribly clear pictures anyway but even if it is good it's easily foiled by the prevalent hoody and baseball cap combo.
Peter_L

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think "Slithering Sam" would be a good addition to the tool box.

... and to answer Alistair's comment about the Constabulary. Around here "local justice" is alive and well.

The problem with shotguns is they tend to damage large areas of wall, whereas a 9mm hole can always be covered with a picture or mirror.
BigJohn

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately my wife doesn't like dogs, because the best advert for one was my brother in laws Mastiff/Labrador. Some years back he lived in an isolated bungalow, but not too far away from a troubled area. He came home to find his front door jemmied, and a happy dog greeted him with the remains of a plaid shirt. Blood trails led to where the intruder had smashed his way out of a French Window, appearing to have just run straight through it. More blood. The Police checked all the local hospitals to no avail, but by the amount of blood spattered and losing his shirt suggested he was injured badly. The dog didn't like to bark, so imagine the scrotes surprise meeting the hound from hell waiting patiently for him. Laughing
billysugga

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some 9mm blank rounds rigged on the corners of the door so if forced they will get a shock. Easy to make spring loaded firing pin and welding rod through a hole and attached to the garage door.
Obviously I have to make sure they are disabled before I open it.

I went for this after someone bent the door down from the corner.
I also reinforced it with angle iron. The four point locks are a lot more secure than the very poor top only catch.

There are shotgun cartridge versions for sale online
billysugga

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some 9mm blank rounds rigged on the corners of the door so if forced they will get a shock. Easy to make spring loaded firing pin and welding rod through a hole and attached to the garage door.
Obviously I have to make sure they are disabled before I open it.

There are shotgun cartridge versions for sale online
kevin2306

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ellis

Have a look at the visonic range of alarms.
Wireless and easy to install and very reliable. Got one on my house and a separate system on the garage. Very stable in use and don't give false alarms.

Worth a look and between that and my dogs work well.

https://www.alertelectrical.com/visonic-powermax-express-e-kit.html?gclid=CJC-xNql-tMCFcm_7Qod9NkE1g

Kev
Ellis

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterwpg wrote:

Thank you for your answers.
A friend of mine is a stone mason and a farming smallholder and had the misfortune of having his stock trailer stolen two years ago.
In response he set up a system of SD card CCTV cameras around the farm buildings with one facing the approach track and entrance.

His son checked the main camera one evening and saw the recording of white Transit type van on the approach road and then static.
The passenger must have pointed a laser such as Peter refers to and disabled the camera.
Needless to say a generator, Stihl stone cutter and other expensive tools had vanished.

What does one do?

1964 Jaguar Mark 2 3.4 litre
1962 Land Rover Series 2a 88"
2002 BMW M3 E46 Cabriolet
Peter_L

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ellis wrote:
peterwpg wrote:

The passenger must have pointed a laser such as Peter refers to and disabled the camera.
Needless to say a generator, Stihl stone cutter and other expensive tools had vanished.

What does one do?

Hi Ellis, as per my post. Cameras, even dummies in prominent position and others camouflaged. Nothing is 100% and cameras don't come cheap.

It is not an ideal situation to have the place "bristling" with obvious cameras, because it can suggest one has a lot of "things".
Dipster

Location: UK, France and Portugal - unless I am travelling....

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now this is an area where I do have some experience. I spent the last few decades of my life in security management for a government department.

What are you protecting and from whom? In our case it is, it appears, a few grands worth of kit from thieves.

Thieves normally like to work quickly and quietly. So we need to make both more difficult. So I would suggest as many obvious physical barriers for them to overcome as possible allied to lighting.

Physical barriers are obviously good fences, gates, stout doors with quality locking systems and well constructed and fitted grilles on windows (and grilles can be used to screen doors too!). Razor wire is a useful tool.

Lighting can be quite low wattage continuous lights and some more powerful sensor controlled lamps to let visitors know their visit has been noted. I was amazed to read in one of the posts that a local plod felt darkness in the street etc. was useful..... That is not the opinion of my ex department, not at all.

If an intruder does manage to get in to the grounds or buildings a good alarm that makes a racket is very useful to dispel their tranquility. Preferably linked to someone who can respond. In my previous employment we could often persuade our local plod to respond possible a. I doubt the average householder will achieve that but they could employ a local security company to respond (to make yuor premises secure again. The thieves would probably have gone!) or simply have their own mobile phones alerted. They could then call the police or neighbours.

CCTV is only really useful (but not unbeatable) if of good quality and either fitted with motion detectors (and thus someone available to respond to any alarm). Super cheap systems available might not even have a recording facility but most do. But how much footage can be stored? We kept 28 days minimum giving us time to notice something had gone missing. This is because thefts can occur during "working hours" too and this gives you time to note the event and review the stored footage.

And any electrical kit needs the power supply assured either by keeping the mains supply secure or battery back ups.

We also often employed guards!

Depending on the crime level in your area of residence it is for you to decide whether the risk you seek to protect warrants the expense of making your home into a fortress by fitting all this kit.

Or to simply check that you have adequate insurance cover, then be as discrete as possible and hope for the best!
mikeC

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We suffered a spate of break-ins about ten years ago; the police showed no interest in the CCTV footage (which, in one instance, clearly showed a local person which even I recognised). The only advice offered was to make our property less accessible than our neighbours; so we now have eight foot high iron railings and gates, and all means of access are kept locked except when visitors are expected. We have had no more trouble since, except one occasion when the CCTV showed an attempt at scaling the fence, resulting in one very torn jacket being left behind!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: