classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Metal car parts non-recyclable?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Metal car parts non-recyclable? Reply with quote

I did a tip run today, and like a good citizen, put a few old metal bits to one side to sling into the correct, metal items, skip.

The very diligent official pointed out to me that old car bits - in my case the old propshaft I'd removed from my Disco - have to go in the general, non-recyclable, waste chute, rather than the metal bin. It seems they don't like the risk of any metal parts containing something other than metal, in this case a few traces of grease within the UJs either end of the prop.

I've always lobbed odd car bits in the metal skip, looks like I was acting in error ... Shocked

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
BigJohn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a jobsworth.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigJohn wrote:
Sounds like a jobsworth.

The chap I spoke with does have something of a reputation in the area. Anyway it was him that lobbed the hefty piece of Land Rover into the general chute, so my conscience is clear Smile

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
alastairq

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A clear conscience, then, knowing the old Landy will actually be performing a useful function......providing decent foundations for the next lot of cheap-to-build, expensive-to-buy housing that will cover the tip in the future?

Far better, than to spend the rest of your days scrutinising every part of one's new washing machine, for bits one may recognise?

Smile
Minxy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly at our tip it would go in, likewise electrical items that have mixed contents go in the electric bin. A friend of mine works for a company that receives these type of items and along with a couple of dozen other folk he stands at a bench and rips apart items to separate individual components -apparently it's big business.
BigJohn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fell foul of a Jobsworth at a council recycling depot a few years back over a gas cooker, but I won my argument. It was my sons and when he asked if it was mine and was I a resident in the borough I said "no, my sons, and he is".
The little irk said I couldn't tip it from the back of my Mazda Bongo. After much discussion, with him getting more and more excited, I got bored, I'm 6'6". I chested the oven and threw it into the skip and said "Well you better fish it back out then". Apparently I was allowed to do it "this time, but not again". Hell my back hurt that night but I had the warm glow of a winner. Laughing
Riley Blue

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Different councils will have different contracts for recycling the waste they collect so it wouldn't surprise me that what is acceptable by one may differ from what is acceptable at another. We have a 'rag and bone man' who tours the neighbourhood every couple of weeks picking up stuff, car parts included - for which he pays if it's good scrap metal.

1963 Riley 1.5
1965 Riley 1.5
Peter_L

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a "jobsworth" but maybe some flawed academic making the rules and perhaps a need to change the contract for who ever is collecting scrap metal.

I wonder if those involved have ever seen a "shredder" in action ?

OK, so the major fluids may be removed beforehand, but there is no one flushing every speck of oil from the engine, transmission etc.

As Riley points out, different requirements at different places. Our close local waste take batteries but not lithium, the closest for those is another 100km (60 miles).... guess what bin old lithium are going in ?

Councils and common sense are sometimes not included in the same sentence.
alastairq

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Do we not vote them 'in'?

I like my local tip...They are happy to empty my accumulated old engine oil [and other oily stuff] for me...they just tell me to 'leave it by the tank'....

As for 'jobsworths?'

Well, in my experience, anybody who has been employed is a 'jobsworth'.
[The self-employed were, in my experience, considered to be something equally damning]

I'm damned sure I wouldn't have wanted to 'collect-my-cards' over a personal decision regarding a ''customer?''

Yet, employers are [and were] so readily keen to go this route.

In the UK, the rules are generated, for whatever reason.

If we find those rules inconvenient , we have our local Councillors to give an ear-bashing to. Changes can be made....

Sadly, I have found the world to be full of those 'who know better'....which usually equates to, 'compliance is inconvenient for me'. 'Shouldn't be allowed,' etc.

Pick on the higher authority, by all means [for they have the wit to argue their corner]...not the minion who is trying to simply comply with the rules of the job.
Peter_L

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The beauty about opinions, we are all entitled to them.
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alastairq wrote:
Quote:

We had council elections not too long ago. Many wards locally went uncontested, while in ours we had a straight choice between Labour and Independent councillors. It makes about as much difference as does choosing which urinal to use in a public loo. In any case the council is mostly run by cushy-job-for-life "executives" who never face an election anyway.
Riley Blue

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bitumen Boy wrote:
alastairq wrote:
Quote:

We had council elections not too long ago. Many wards locally went uncontested, while in ours we had a straight choice between Labour and Independent councillors. It makes about as much difference as does choosing which urinal to use in a public loo. In any case the council is mostly run by cushy-job-for-life "executives" who never face an election anyway.

Things are very different in Derbyshire where several years ago two district councils merged their senior management teams and cut out a whole tier of middle management. Just this week the county council abolished the three top executive posts:

http://www.derbyshiretimes.co.uk/news/derbyshire-county-council-s-chief-exec-leaves-job-after-it-is-axed-1-8699687

There's an adage in local goverment: 'Officers guide - members decide.' That was certainly the case during my ten years as a councillor.

1963 Riley 1.5
1965 Riley 1.5
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

riley541 wrote:
Bitumen Boy wrote:
alastairq wrote:
Quote:

Things are very different in Derbyshire where several years ago two district councils merged their senior management teams and cut out a whole tier of middle management. Just this week the county council abolished the three top executive posts:

http://www.derbyshiretimes.co.uk/news/derbyshire-county-council-s-chief-exec-leaves-job-after-it-is-axed-1-8699687

There's an adage in local goverment: 'Officers guide - members decide.' That was certainly the case during my ten years as a councillor.

If Derbyshire still has a county council and district councils that could be the difference. This part of Wales is cursed with umpteen arbitrary little "unitary" authorities with the status of county boroughs. They're supposed to do everything, but mostly seem to act as societies for the employment of idiots.
Penman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
A lot of councils have also farmed some of their services out to a company called Capita.
They don't acknowledge that there is a letter R missing from that name very near the front.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Riley Blue

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penman wrote:
Hi
A lot of councils have also farmed some of their services out to a company called Capita.
They don't acknowledge that there is a letter R missing from that name very near the front.

From what I've heard, C(r)aptia has been called that by council officers for decades...

1963 Riley 1.5
1965 Riley 1.5
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: