classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Photo solution needed
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And, after all that, Photobucket apparently now have thought again, and dropped the charges. Apparently all the photo links have been restored.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw that as well, good news that old links will be restored, although if one closed their photobucket account I doubt the link will have been maintained.

I see they have come up much lower cost tariffs for private users, and have shrunk the workforce from 120 to 10 FTE's, presumably this model will allow them to stay in business.

Dave
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trouble is, they've now "got form", so it's unlikely that anyone would open a new account and keep it going in case they do it again.

One nice thing is that it does allow people to access old posts and perhaps frantically download copies of stuff "just in case". As you say, those where the accounts have been closed will (you would hope) no longer have the images available, so they're gone for ever.
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email received today says "For a limited time all of your 3rd Party Hosted Images have been restored. Please login to choose the plan that best fits your needs to continue hosting your images."

So limited time. Not a total fix.
Vulgalour

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too little too late. They left it that long before offering the fix that most, myself included, jumped ship and don't plan on returning. It was a foolish decision seemingly driven by greed and they will likely regret it.

I use Flikr now. It's not perfect, of course, but it is free with an option to pay if you need to. The main difficulty is rehosting years of accumulated reference material and repopulating build threads. I suspect the damage caused by Photobucket is going to hang over the hobby for a very long time. It's not just the threads it decimated, it's the people that were maintaining them that now don't want to in case it happens again.

Trust is difficult to gain, and easy to lose. This is a lesson Photobucket has learned the stupid way.
Paul fairall

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since photobucket I haven't posted photos anywhere other than a hifi site I visit where I can post photos on their website. All other hosting sites I've tried have been a pain in the proverbial to get them to work and some have been hit or miss, not knowing how I managed to make it work. Is it a problem for the forum to have the photos on the site within the thread so they will always be there and not get lost over time.
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following the Photo bucket debacle I took the trouble to reinstate all my photos on the Austin Swallow and Dodge Brothers threads using 'Post image' - only to find they have all been removed without warning or explanation. I assume it is their fault?. Crying or Very sad
Ashley

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it possible that copyright issues may be why posting photos has become difficult and a pain, but I can only repeat that I’ve been with Flickr for nine years or so and changes of ownership, but I can still use it to post images or just admire other’s stunners. I use it in preference to a search engines when I want specific images.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul fairall wrote:
Since photobucket I haven't posted photos anywhere other than a hifi site I visit where I can post photos on their website. All other hosting sites I've tried have been a pain in the proverbial to get them to work and some have been hit or miss, not knowing how I managed to make it work. Is it a problem for the forum to have the photos on the site within the thread so they will always be there and not get lost over time.
I have said it before; there is no such thing as a free lunch, there are storage costs and network costs that someone has to pay for, sometimes this can be covered by advertising but often not or the adds are just too much. Many "free" hosting sites have something in the small print that essentially hands the use of your data for whatever they want
I'd rather pay for a service and know what I'm getting..

Dave
peter scott

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I you check the image address that you posted I think you'll find that Postimage have changed it if you look in your Postimage directory.

e.g. I posted:
https://s6.postimg.org/yp229qsyp/ArthursSeat.jpg

but if I look up Postimage the address is now:

https://s6.postimg.cc/yp229qsyp/Arthurs_Seat.jpg

Note the cc instead of org and the underline between Arthurs and Seat.

and:

https://s6.postimg.org/b8i0gc7c1/RosedaleChimney-1.jpg

https://s6.postimg.cc/b8i0gc7c1/Rosedale_Chimney-1.jpg
Very odd???

Peter

p.s. I wouldn't advise doing anything until we get a response from them. I have contacted them saying...

I have submitted a large number of images to forums on the web as have other people but we are now finding that these no longer appear because you have changed the addresses.

Formerly .org
Now .cc

This creates a great deal of work for a great number of people to sort it.
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with UKdave there is no such thing as a free lunch...but if someone offers to buy you lunch it's bit of a rum deal if they get up and walk out without paying. Its even more rude if they don't explain why. Surprised
peter scott

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, Peter Scott

postimg.org domain is locked by Registry, no prior notice.
Please update image links and replace "postimg.org" to "postimg.cc"
Easy way is update database or use search&replace plugins. Please ask forum admins to do it.

SQL query example for phpBB:
UPDATE `phpbb_posts` SET `post_text` = replace(post_text, 'postimg.org', 'postimg.cc');
UPDATE `phpbb_posts` SET `post_text` = replace(post_text, 'postimg.org', 'postimg.cc');
If your table prefix is not 'phpbb_' replace appropriately.

Best regards,
Postimage support
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure computer literate people will understand.

To me, being dense as fog, it means nothing.
Penman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Looks like the change happened between mid-march and mid-april, my April photos are still up but not a March one

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
I agree with UKdave there is no such thing as a free lunch...but if someone offers to buy you lunch it's bit of a rum deal if they get up and walk out without paying. Its even more rude if they don't explain why. Surprised
I think they could have given say 3 months notice rather than the gun to the head approach.
It's my understanding that had they done nothing they would have gone bust so the situation would have been worse with photos being potentially lost forever.

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: