classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

What did you do to your car today?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 67, 68, 69 ... 117, 118, 119  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
kevin2306

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evening everyone.
Been quite some time since I last posted.
I’ve been busy with work and life but the Vogue has had some lovely runs out and has been impeccably behaved. We usually have the company of my Dad and Sister in their 1968 Wolseley 6110.
I have a couple of recent pics on Flickr but can’t work out how to post them!

Got a full service planned soon and have booked the front seats in for a re-padding over the winter.

Good to catch up with your tales

Kevin
Vulgalour

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For desktop (I don't use mobile so I'm not sure how that differs) when you view the photo there should be a little right-pointing arrow logo. If you hover over that it will pop up a little tab that says 'Share photo'. Click on the arrow and it will pop up a window with a code in it. There's various different logos for different platforms you might put it on. Along the top of this box, there's a few tabs, one is BBCode.

Click on BBCode. There will be a string of code, and another box with sizes underneath. Ideally for forums, you want to go with whatever size is closest to 800 on the longest edge (usually Medium), select that from the menu and then copy and paste the code above into your reply. It should look like this.

Singer Vogue by Stuart Mitchell, on Flickr

When you post on the forum, if you click on the Preview button first you can check the image size is about right before posting. That way if you want to make it bigger or smaller you just select the relevent size on the Flickr page, and the copy the new code it generates.

Each image site is slightly different, once you get the hang of it you'll find it pretty straight forward.
alastairq

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
if you click on the Preview button first you can check the image size is about right before posting.

Some don't do that...which is why, sometimes, I open a thread, to find the right edge of the screen has suddenly disappeared off into next door's back garden!
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
alanb

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use an iPad and if the photo is to big the text is so small you can’t read it

Morris 8 two seater
emmerson

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="alastairq"]
Quote:
if you click on the Preview button first you can check the image size is about right before posting.

Some don't do that...which is why, sometimes, I open a thread, to find the right edge of the screen has suddenly disappeared off into next door's back garden![/quot

I'm glad that happens to someone else, Alistair. I thought it was me!
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shifted some stuff around in the shed today, to move the new project a bit further away from the finished cars, so I feel a bit better about welding and grinding spatter. Also I needed a bit of a tidy because a mate has donated a bench, and the best place for it is right at the back of the shed.

Now that the heat has died down a bit, my next actual job requires cutting a piece of a new 8' x 4' sheet of steel, and for the last few days I haven't felt like putting overalls on so I've been putting it off.
Penguin45

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got Red out of the garage after two months fairly intense work. Rust repairs to doors, one wing, floor, boot, extensive paint rectification, ROstyles finally refurbished, drive train work and an 11AC period alternator conversion all carried out.

VOF707J by Penguin 45, on Flickr

To say that I'm pleased is a massive understatement! Far from perfect but a huge improvement. Took her out for a spin and she behaved perfectly.

Chris.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penguin45 wrote:
Got Red out of the garage after two months fairly intense work. Rust repairs to doors, one wing, floor, boot, extensive paint rectification, ROstyles finally refurbished, drive train work and an 11AC period alternator conversion all carried out.

VOF707J by Penguin 45, on Flickr

To say that I'm pleased is a massive understatement! Far from perfect but a huge improvement. Took her out for a spin and she behaved perfectly.

Chris.

That looks fab, it deserves its own thread - as I've no doubt mentioned before, a mate's dad had an 1800S in that colour in the 70s.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got an outing with the Hillman to a local WW2 airfield private event next Sunday so this morning we have gone over her to check her ready for the road.

Oil, water, tightened the fan belt, checked all the wheel nuts for tightness etc.
badhuis

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changed the headlining of a Jaguar XJS. I was lucky to find a new, never fitted headliner including a new backboard from someone who bought the wrong item. He was vague about why he did not return the faulty headliner.
The PO of the car must have had problems because it seems he had removed the headlining, board and cloth, removed the foam and glued the cloth back on again. This presented some problems:
1. the glue he used was not very effective as the cloth was hanging again in a few spots;
2. the glue shined through the cloth which was not very nice to look at;
3. there were a couple of wrinkles here and there;
4. there were some small rips;
5. the backboard had gone soft at the sides and corner meaning it the board was not completely up against the roof. It also meant the board could not be used again.

So, a replacement was needed. Not a job I want to do often. Siderails, metal with foam and leather glued to it, are fixed to the roof side with plastic pegs. Of course they break but are fairly easy renewed. Sunvisors have a light in them so do have a wire through it, they are attached to a very short wire dangling from the front roof rail. Getting it off is not a problem but getting it back on again is!

Took me 5 hours to do. Fiddly work and I had to be careful not to have dirty hands as of course this would show on the headlining.
norustplease

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally finished the door repair on the Volvo. There had always been a bubbly bit about halfway along the passenger door, so a few weeks ago, I took the door off, cut out the dodgy section, welded in some new metal and then refinished the door up to the chrome trim. Finally refitted, although some of the internal trim clips for the door lining have had it and will need replacing. I have however fitted a door membrane to deflect any moisture away from the inside of the trim.
Just need a nice day to take it out now, it hasn't been anywhere since June.
Next trip is possibly to a friend's house a few miles away. he has a proper four poster lift, and will hopefully make some propshaft greasing a bit less awkward.
Boring Tucson SUV

Last edited by norustplease on Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my carburettor back from vapour blasting, as you can see it's a little nicer than it started out.

I am determined that the latest project will be done more quickly than the previous one, so I wanted to start cleaning up other parts in the times when I can't be bothered cutting, welding or grinding down welds. Hence stripping the carb. A new chap has started up very locally and I gave it to him to do. I didn't bother with the top cover or the float chamber as they're easy parts to clean with a wire brush, but the body is a very difficult shape to sort out.

If such things are allowed I'll post his details, if anyone wants me to. South Cheshire based.
consul 57

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just had a call from my wife, the 96 hilux won't start!
how odd i thought, 2 new batteries later it is all fine again.
an easy fix again.
alastairq

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replaced the Mustang's water pump today. Being the Ford 200-6 engine, there's plenty of room to drop tools, and the whole thing is just a little bit simpler.

All bolts came out nicely, but discovered a weep in the radiator. Not serious, may end up with a can of barrsleax or similar, for now [cheaper than 200 pensonquids for a new [Chinese] radiator]...

Waterpump, and two new hoses, around 45 pensionquids delivered....all the way from the USofA. Ordered last Wednesday, arrived just as I was draining coolant today. Bless Fedex?
Only downside ..I managed to open up a tiny split in the bottom of the screenwash bag! Which, was quite confusing for a minute or so.
I have been meaning to bite-the-shotgun-cartridge and get one off ebay from USA for about 3 years now........not as pricey, delivered, as random bags from UK dealers...
The poor thing really has suffered from heat exhaustion, being quite stiff and delicate. Even the Ford motif has faded into the sunset!
I'll make do with a plastic bag for now, until the new one arrives... After all, they used to give away goldfish in plastic bags once....

For a 53 year old car, these US Fords really are cheap to maintain, and keep going.....even when living in the UK!
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
ghgunning

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The snagging list gets longer by the week on the Alfa so spent this weekend doing ticking a few items off the list.

- Fixed the rear view mirror which shook so much the cars behind you looked like they were on drugs

- Fixed the window back in place after it came loose a couple of weekends back

- Made an attempt at trying to sort my fuel gauge which now permanently shows a full tank - more to be done

- Closed it out with a good hoover inside and clean on the outside

Satisfied young man
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 67, 68, 69 ... 117, 118, 119  Next
Page 68 of 119

Jump to: