classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

What did you do to your car today?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 68, 69, 70 ... 119, 120, 121  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So after best part of 10 months we finally took the big Hillman to a local event. We attended a private meet at a local wartine airfield.

Such a lovely feeling to get behind the wheel again.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second week in a row, took the Hillman to another local wartime event. Very small do and very good with the social distancing etc. Nice for a couple hours out in the sunshine.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitted new tie rod ends on the modern today, although it felt more like working on an oldie - new TREs, complete with castle nuts and grease nipples! A long time since I've had brand new TREs for a modern that are greasable.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to get one of the lorries up and running. The engine simply doesnt want to go. She will fire, then missfire and splutter out.

Plugs/points etc all new and there is a good spark. Obviously a fuel supply issue as any throttle she cuts straight out, also the timing doesnt seem right at all.

Plenty of investigation work to be done.
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tidied a bit of the shed. I've just bought my first proper tool cabinet, so I've been moving tools from the various other storage locations and trying to organise things. And this afternoon, my neighbour is clearing his shed up, and donated a very nice wooden three-drawer filing cabinet, so I've had to shoe-horn that into an already-busy shed and find some stuff to go in it.

I've also been given a workbench to replace my pile of pallets (well, I say "replace", which suggests I'll be getting rid of the pallets, as opposed to moving them somewhere else in the shed) so I've been trying to make it possible to get it from the door to the back where it will need to sit.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another frustrating morning spent trying to get one of the Commers started. We have literally checked and double checked everything, still no joy though.
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran the Firenza, to make sure it'll be easy to move out of the way of the bench delivery. It started, but not before registering its disappointment that it had been neglected for some time.
peter scott

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the last two months we have had builders in and to give them a local tool and material store and easy access to the rear of our house my old SS has been living 3 miles away in the lock-up belonging to the builders.

I'm happy to say they have now completed the work and vacated our garage so I was able to bring the SS home again.

Peter Very Happy
PAUL BEAUMONT

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm at the opposite end of the process to Peter. Builders have just moved in to create a garage base which will become the home for my Jowetts. To date they have lived on my driveway under tarpaulins:-(
I have had to clear the drive to get plant in.
Jowett #1 started and moved with little complaint (thanks to Covid they have both been idle this year)
Jowett #2 only ran once last year, so I was delighted when it started second pull of the handle, however everything went pearshaped when I attempted to rev it - it died. Elementary investigation revealed no spart at the near side plug.
I presumed that either the condenser or the Coil had failed after being asked to work after a long vacation.
I have replaced both as well the points, rotor arm and distributor cap. Still no spart at the plugs, but I do have a spart at the HT lead feeding the dizzy. Ideas anyone?
PAUL BEAUMONT

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm at the opposite end of the process to Peter. Builders have just moved in to create a garage base which will become the home for my Jowetts. To date they have lived on my driveway under tarpaulins:-(
I have had to clear the drive to get plant in.
Jowett #1 started and moved with little complaint (thanks to Covid they have both been idle this year)
Jowett #2 only ran once last year, so I was delighted when it started second pull of the handle, however everything went pearshaped when I attempted to rev it - it died. Elementary investigation revealed no spart at the near side plug.
I presumed that either the condenser or the Coil had failed after being asked to work after a long vacation.
I have replaced both as well the points, rotor arm and distributor cap. Still no spart at the plugs, but I do have a spart at the HT lead feeding the dizzy. Ideas anyone?
peter scott

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if the carbon brush or its spring in the cap have somehow disintegrated?

Peter
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having had to top up the usually unchanging power steering ATF level on more than one occasion, today I took a look under the P38. It quickly became apparent that the steering box is leaking.

Many years ago I fixed a similar problem on my 3 1/2 litre Range Rover by simply replacing a seal in the bottom of the steering box. I wondered if the P38 was the same and it would appear to be very similar.

An enquiry to a Range Rover forum established that while it is possible to do what I wanted to do, getting the Pitman arm off it's splines can be a bit of a struggle.

I will see how it goes. If the arm refuses to budge and I have to replace the steering box, I can't afford hundreds of £ for a new one... so a used box for under £50 may suffice.
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been trying to get the Pitman arm off the P38 steering box. I managed to get the large nut off. Attempt No.1.... With the locking tab prised back I tried a large socket but only succeeded in bending the 1/2" driver.

Attempt No.2 involved holding a large box spanner in the jaws of a giant Stilsons wrench. Still no luck.

Attempt No.3 involved a 6 foot length of substantial steel tubing over the Stilsons arm. This time the nut moved and was eventually removed.

I then tried to remove the Pitman arm.
Attempt No.1. broke my two jaw puller.

Attempt no.2. A new puller was deployed and all that happened was a nib formed on the end of the puller.!

Attempt No.3. A dob of grease applied to the end of the puller and pulling on the 6 foot pole over a good ring spanner and BANG.

It's off!

This has to be the most recalcitrant Pitman arm I have ever attempted.... Evil or Very Mad

Next job was to remove the large cir-clip. That was a bit of a faff but not a problem.

Then I drilled a small hole in the exposed seal. I used my Dremel with the flexible drive and placed a container to catch the remaining ATF.

I then sourced a self tapping screw and screwed it into the hole. Just like magic; with the end of the screw pressing against the bearing, the seal worked it's way down the screw thread. Then, with a tac lifter under the screw head and with the help of a small screwdriver, the seal was off.

I will have a look through my collection of n.o.s. rubber lip seals but I expect there will not be one the right size and I will have to order one.

I didn't order a seal just in case I couldn't get the old one out and these days it's £20 that I can't afford to waste.
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The oil seal arrived today from Land Rover Parts on line.

After de burring the splines and applying a little grease, I fitted it. I protected the seal with a suitable shim and gently drifted it onto the shaft using a length of tubing followed by the lock washer and nut.

The nut is on very tight; ending up in the same place as before. I finished by folding down the lock washer tab.

Finally, I filled the fluid reservoir and bled the system by turning the wheels from lock to lock.

No drama. Job done.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a very dirty and tired looking manifold off one of the Commers this morning, looks like over the years its not been cleaned down at all between gasket changes!

A call to Speedy Spares should get me a new set and whilst waiting for that everything can be cleaned down.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 68, 69, 70 ... 119, 120, 121  Next
Page 69 of 121

Jump to: