classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

What did you do to your car today?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 74, 75, 76 ... 117, 118, 119  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Making a bit of progress now, I've got the bottom half of the offside rear quarter cut off and the top half of the replacement panel cut back, with a lot of excess. Now I'm trying to get the supporting metalwork ready, all the bits that must be (or should be) done before the quarter goes on.

Currently trying to line the sill up. I've left the door in place, but I have to keep reminding myself that the bottom edge of the door has been "repaired", but is almost 1cm too short at the front so it makes everything look wrong.
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As it was such a lovely afternoon I thought I'd drive the Firenza up and down the drive a bit, to bed in the new disks and make sure I'd bled the brakes properly. I had to jump start it, and it was still a bit reluctant to go, but I figured it's been laid up a long time. Then, while moving out of the shed, I stalled it and it wouldn't go again, even with the second battery. Lack of use must really have let the battery run down.

I'll give it a charge tomorrow and see if it improves matters. Because the shed is away from home, I don't like leaving anything electrical switched on when I'm not there. A pity, it would probably be ready by tomorrow.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful day here in Somerset, we got an awful lot done on the Commer.

Clutch back in, gearbox safely lifted into position via the engine crane, prop shaft back on, starter motor back on.

Will post some pictures in the vehicle section.
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thing this morning (well, as soon as the mist cleared and it warmed up a bit) was to apply some waterproofing to the roof of my daily driver. It's never been done, I've never had the roof clean enough, but it's looking fairly good now so I thought I'd give it a go. Probably would have been better to do it before winter, but I'll give it a top-up coat in late summer. It's off for some tyres tomorrow morning.

While I was doing that, I had the battery on charge for the Firenza, which pleasingly fired up quite nicely after about an hour. I've run it around the yard a bit and the brakes seem to be at least as good as they were before I swapped the discs, but it seems that one of the rear drums is binding.
lowdrag

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With arthritis getting worse, I delivered the E-type to a friend who will do the necessary. New splined hubs and bearings, new steering column U/J and other bits and pieces, and then she will go to the trimmer because the hood has shrunk and will no longer fit properly. It is her 60th anniversary this year and hopefully we shall be able to partake of many an event in the summer, Covid permitting. Next year will be our fortieth anniversary together. Many many happy memories. She drove beautifully on the 30 mile trip to bis home, the engine purring as only a true cat can.
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cracking on with the project car, this week I've fitted the sill (tacked in place, in case I need to move anything), repaired the bottom of the door pillar, closed the final gap in the lower bulkhead and, this afternoon, made the floor section and trimmed it to fit. Once I've drilled the plug weld holes, stuck some weld-through primer in the bits that will be hidden after it's fitted and hoovered out all the rubbish that's gathered in the chassis section, I'll weld it in place.
Clactonguy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:06 pm    Post subject: today. Reply with quote

reworking a nissan micra Mark 1 1.2L auto. honed bores and fitted new piston ring set as high blow by. new PVC didnt fix issue. just managed to restart and refix all parts apart from splash shield under offside ( removed to get access to crank bolt) work never seems to stop on old cars ..
Rootes75

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple days ago I noticed in the garage the tell tell signs of a mouse taking up residence....

So, with a couple days off work I decided to tackle clearing lots of the accumulated junk. Firstly though, I had to move my lovely old 47 Minx. Its a year since she was last started but after connecting the battery and priming the fuel she started on first pull of the starter!

We have owned her for many years now and she is affectionately known throughout the family as 'Harriet'. Just recently I have been thinking about putting her back on the road, would be nice to see her out and about again and she only needs minimal work.
badhuis

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I did park the TR4 in the garage I thought I smelled petrol. And yes, wet with petrol under one of the SU carburettors. Switching on the engine I saw a disturbing drip drip drip from the overflow pipe.
So, took the lid off the SU float chamber and checked. Needle seems OK. Took the float out and yes, it was half full of petrol.
Luckily I had a new one on the shelf. I remember having a leak in the other float 3 years ago, I bought two then. I even found the old float (I had written "leak" on it).
What would be the cause of a leaking float?
Looking at both failing floats, I cannot see anything wrong. They are old fashioned copper(?) floats with silver(?) soldering two halves.

Can chemical changes in petrol of the last years attack the soldering or the copper? Is it copper?
peter scott

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if acid solder flux had eaten through the brass?

Peter
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took my Firenza out for a brief drive in the nice weather on Monday. I was going to go a bit further, but then I remembered I wasn't carrying any of the spare useful stuff that I usually have with me - a gallon of fuel, a gallon of water - and while I've only needed the latter once, I didn't want to tempt fate. Ran OK though, which was good.

At some point I need to do the same with the Sportshatch, but I was trying to run the fuel level down so I could remove the tank and check the top end for pinholes as it was leaking when I brimmed the tank. Last time I ran it, the fuel pump was leaking fuel so I suspected the rebuild kit wasn't very good. I've ordered an electric fuel pump, my mate gave me an old pressure regulator, so I intend to bypass the mechanical pump and go electric on it. That will also tell me whether the starting trouble is down to the mechanical pump - some say it is, some say not. Only one way to find out.
alastairq

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

badhuis wrote:
When I did park the TR4 in the garage I thought I smelled petrol. And yes, wet with petrol under one of the SU carburettors. Switching on the engine I saw a disturbing drip drip drip from the overflow pipe.
So, took the lid off the SU float chamber and checked. Needle seems OK. Took the float out and yes, it was half full of petrol.
Luckily I had a new one on the shelf. I remember having a leak in the other float 3 years ago, I bought two then. I even found the old float (I had written "leak" on it).
What would be the cause of a leaking float?
Looking at both failing floats, I cannot see anything wrong. They are old fashioned copper(?) floats with silver(?) soldering two halves.

Can chemical changes in petrol of the last years attack the soldering or the copper? Is it copper?

It's entirely possible the soldering wasn't properly done?
Burlen Fuel systems have new ethanol-proof plastic floats available?
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
lowdrag

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the Webers I have metal floats, but the E-type I have changed to the new plastic ethanol-proof floats. But I still carry a spare............. just in case!
V8 Nutter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine owns a 1955 Dodge. He had the carb rebuilt and the float was replaced with a NOS item. A few weeks later the carb began to flood, ethanol had dissolved much of the solder on the float and it was leaking. He has now fitted a plastic ethanol proof float which seems to be O.K.
peter scott

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's very interesting about the ethanol eating the solder. I did take my old car around the block today and put some petrol in it and covid permitting I plan on taking it over to Europe for a week or so next year. I might invest in some plastic floats before setting off.

Peter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 74, 75, 76 ... 117, 118, 119  Next
Page 75 of 119

Jump to: