classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

What did you do to your car today?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39 ... 117, 118, 119  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After some more work on the timing and adjusting the jets on the carb I took the lorry out in the yard, much much better running today. Rebuilt Brakes and lights all working properly. Next step, take her out on the road.
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over the last few days I've been messing around with thermostats. I mentioned earlier that the Firenza 'stat stuck closed, so that was running without one. I've also had trouble with the hatch seeming to be a bit hot, so I killed two birds with one stone. First I put an 82-deg 'stat into the Sportshatch, which seems to have dropped things a little, giving me a bit more breathing space.

As the one I took out works perfectly well, I decided to fit that one to the Firenza. First attempt with no sealant around the gasket resulted in a slight weep, so I took it to bits again, cleaned everything up, made another new gasket, put it back with some sealant, and now it's weeping around where the hose goes onto the fitting. Trying to decide now whether to mess with it again before the weekend ( have a show for three days), or leave it alone and just keep it topped up. I know the right thing to do, but am reluctant to disturb it again.
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took the stat housing off the other day, blasted it to clean everything off, and used some "Quick Steel" putty to fill in the worst parts. After leaving it overnight to set, I filed it down to a lovely smooth surface and put it all back together. Everything looked fine, but when I ran the car it started weeping again. I also tried a new top hose, but it's noticeably too short, causing a tension on the top radiator neck that I'm not happy about.

As I now have a show for a few days, I'm just going to have to check the water before I leave, and carry some spare (as I always do). Then I'll have to figure out what to do to sort it out properly. I am thinking of fitting the new hose, and cutting it in half to fit a short aluminium hose joiner, just to relieve the tension.
lowdrag

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Precisely nothing. With a record 42C (the pool is at 32C) it was a day for hiding from the heat. But tomorrow they say the temperature will drop by virtually half to 23C. Funny world we live in.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoping to take the lorry out on the road tomorrow, just been down the yard and found the handbrake keeps letting itself off the ratchet. Its got a few adjustment nuts here and there and I will look in the manual tonight with a view to adjusting it before we take her out of the yard.

First show is in one week and I now have the vehicle passes through. Getting a bit excited now after 10 years of restoration!
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the lorry out and had another go at setting the carb, got it going very well. We also went round and tightened all the wheel nuts and got the big compressor going and topped up all 7 tyres.
peter scott

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drove the SS in a charity procession through North Berwick in aid of the Lifeboats. The pace is determined by a very slow "marching" (walking) band and in previous years I have just put up with a lot of clutch slipping to maintain the slow progress but this year I backed off the idle speed (to about 300 rpm) on the carbs and was able to trickle along with very little need to dip the clutch.

Peter. Very Happy
badhuis

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Removed the soft top frame, and the windscreen header from the TR4. I have all parts now (mostly secondhand) to replace this with a TR4a top. The 4a has the advantage that top and frame go together, you can erect the top from its downwards position to its erect position from the drivers seat. Just two catches on the windscreen frame and basically that's it.

The TR4 top is quite cumbersome to erect. Lift up the internal side trim and rear trim, fold out the frame, fold back the trim, get the top from the trunk or wherever, push in the lift a dots at the rear, slide the front of the top into the slot at the top of the windscreen, pushbuttons at either side of the windscreen and on the frame, on both sides at the B posts lever up the frame/hood so that it is under tension. When it is up, it is quite good.

In weather where there is some rain during the day and some sun (ie. most summer days it seems), you have to make a choice for the day: either up or down.
I feel that with a 4a top this decision is not needed anymore as it will be so easy to put up or down the top.

MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lowdrag wrote:
Precisely nothing. With a record 42C (the pool is at 32C) it was a day for hiding from the heat. But tomorrow they say the temperature will drop by virtually half to 23C. Funny world we live in.

I felt the same on Thursday, to a lesser degree (sorry) as it was about 32C here. Got the car out ready to take it to Carfest, hoped it would turn out a little cooler over the weekend, amazing contrast as the photos will show when I get around to posting them. Later on I shall try to clean it all off again.
Riley Blue

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last couple of weeks have been Riley-free thanks to local roads being top dressed: tar sprinkled with stone chippings, rolled a couple of times, swept a few days later then left for traffic to finish the job.

We have very little passing traffic at the moment as it's holiday time so the roads still have a lot of loose chippings and I'm not risking the Riley's paintwork just yet.

1963 Riley 1.5
1965 Riley 1.5
petelang

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure this terrible old fashioned way of making a road surface is only applicable in Britain. Not seen the same technique used elsewhere. Probably because it's cheap. However it seldom lasts. The worst though has been the areas just before major junctions and lights where the road was top dressed with some kind of anti skid material. In our area it has all just about broken away, leaving the most appalling ridged surface which is just like driving over a pave test circuit, almost shakes your teeth out!
But....the potholes continue....!
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I was sitting in the car for a while over the weekend I noticed that the rear quarter window is letting in a bit of water, so I whipped the glass out the other day. I've now re-installed it, having cleaned all the surfaces, with a bit of sealant between the body and the rubber, and between the rubber and the glass.

It seems that the water has travelled quite well, getting into the underfelt under the rear seat and under the back section of the carpet. Fortunately it doesn't seem to have done any damage to the floor itself, so I'll leave the felt out until I am sure the window is sealed and everything remains dry.

On the positive "two birds with one stone" side of things, it ought to help out with the way the car mists up in wet weather.

Talking of Belgian Pavé flooring, this is the roadway into and out of Bolesworth Castle at the weekend. It's a welcome sight after the sea of mud, and one that I was staying very close to on Sunday. But heck, it's rough. I'm never quite sure whether to go faster or slower to make it better. Just when you think you're off it, there's a bit more.

web_Imgp3504 by Mike Edwards, on Flickr
badhuis

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

petelang wrote:
I'm sure this terrible old fashioned way of making a road surface is only applicable in Britain. Not seen the same technique used elsewhere. Probably because it's cheap. However it seldom lasts.

Standard practice over here as well (Netherlands). The top layer of stone chippings is a sensible one as it brings roughness to the smooth tarmac underneath. Just smooth tarmac used as top layer would mean too slippery especially in the wet.
PAUL BEAUMONT

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took a trip over to Bawtry today for new boots for the front of the Jowett. Thanks Longstone! All set for our Former Employees Reunion now, a week on Saturday
Rootes75

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each night I have been finishing little jobs on the lorry, it first outing will be on Saturday so getting a bit nervous!

Got all my tools and spares etc sorted to go in the back, also been stopping in the fuel station getting petrol in cans to fill her up before we go ( the nearest petrol station is approx. 5 miles in the opposite direction to where we are going!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39 ... 117, 118, 119  Next
Page 38 of 119

Jump to: