classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

What did you do to your car today?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 66, 67, 68 ... 117, 118, 119  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought we would have a break from working on our ERF today, we got the 37 Hillman 80 out of the shed to have a look at its boot.

Put simply the boot upon opening fouls the lower lip on the aperture. It looks like someone in the past has taken a screwdriver to it from the outside and has chipped paint away.

So we took the rear seat out and opened the boot from the inside applying a little pressure with a tyre lever to the inside of the lip. Once opened we have sprayed all the fixing bolts and screws and are letting them soak. We aim to take the boot panel off next weekend to have a proper look.
Vulgalour

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had to rebuild the clutch master and slave cylinders. Happily, they are very easy to rebuild and I had a willing assistance to be on pedal duty.

Not entirely sure what had failed on them, both were full of black deposits that had got the pistons gummed into place. Seal in the slave cylinder was still nice and flexible, and while the seals in the master were a little hard, they didn't seem to be so far gone you'd expect the hydraulics to fail.

The BX is still being problematic. At this point I've replaced most of the fuel system trying to identify and eliminate air ingress points and diesel leaks. It can only really be a couple of hoses and a preheater unit now, everything else has been gone through and appears air and fuel tight.
Vulgalour

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I learned that the seal on the clutch slave cylinder of the Princess was in the wrong way around, since I'd copied the way it was done, that means it has been the wrong way around all the while I've owned the car. The other reason I believe that is that the gear change is no longer rubbery and odd on first, it's the best its ever been in my ownership.

To celebrate we took a trip to the local retail park to collect some parts to fix the BX, which also now appears to be behaving itself.

As momentous as having both cars working again is, I'm reliably informed by my other half that it is not adequate excuse for purchasing a third car to celebrate.
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vulgalour wrote:

As momentous as having both cars working again is, I'm reliably informed by my other half that it is not adequate excuse for purchasing a third car to celebrate.

I spy a loophole there - how about a van or a motorbike? Laughing
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After oiling all of the hinge bolts etc of the boot of our 37 Hillman we very carefully removed them all and took out the boot panel.

She has never been able to open as she fouls on a lip of the opening below. Once out we found that there is an apron panel on the inside of that lip the secures the lip in its correct position. The two should be screwed to an ash frame that keeps them both secure, we have found that the ash has rotted and the screws are simply floating and not securing anything.

So, next job will be to remove the apron completely, all its fixing are now oiled, then we can see if there is enough ash frame to use as a pattern.
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rootes75 wrote:
After oiling all of the hinge bolts etc of the boot of our 37 Hillman we very carefully removed them all and took out the boot panel.

She has never been able to open as she fouls on a lip of the opening below. Once out we found that there is an apron panel on the inside of that lip the secures the lip in its correct position. The two should be screwed to an ash frame that keeps them both secure, we have found that the ash has rotted and the screws are simply floating and not securing anything.

So, next job will be to remove the apron completely, all its fixing are now oiled, then we can see if there is enough ash frame to use as a pattern.

That is just the kind of discovery that makes it all worthwhile.! You may wish to renew that entire wood section and replace all the screws at the same time considering the time it might take to effect a repair "in situ"... but without seeing it I can't really say.

It is a bit like the rear window of my Austin Swallow. I had imagined that the structural ash frame would be rotten but when I investigated things looked entirely different to what I had expected. Fortunately, the window was housed in a small separate sub frame that had rotted away but the main frame was left unaffected.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were pleased to find out the problem, and to find that it is something that with a little patience is easy to remedy.

We also found upon opening the boot lid and also removing the rear seat that all of the ply panels have flaked and split etc so we will be replacing tem too.
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cut some more rust out today. Yesterday I removed a patch that had been applied over a rusty hole which (surprise, surprise) had continued rusting behind the patch. Today I cut out another bit, made and fitted a patch to it, and tomorrow I hope to be able to replace the piece I cut out yesterday.
emmerson

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The replacement panels came today to repair the door bottoms on my Talbot camper, so I've removed the door. Doing the job on the bench is going to be much easier than on my 77 year-old knees! The panels, and the step ones are very good quality, supplied by Coastal Motorhomes in Bournemouth. Good price too.
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emmerson wrote:
Doing the job on the bench is going to be much easier than on my 77 year-old knees!

Knees aside, not having to weld upside down or at weird angles and in confined spaces always helps, too, I find.
emmerson

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flat battery on the Discovery this morning. It hasn't been used for a couple of weeks, so I'm not really surprised, but it does beg a question. It's quite a low-tech car, being 1998,(it has ECUs and alarms etc) and the battery is a two-year-old Varta, so how long do modern batteries last, if the car is parked up, as some are now in lockdown?
Rootes75

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well yesterday morning we continued working on the opening boot panel on our 37 Hillman. We managed to remove the apron enough to extract the rotten ash frame section. It literally fell apart as it was moved but I can fashion a replacement now from the fragments.

That said, with the ash removed we noted that the apron panel now fits snug with the rear body and has resumed its original position, we refitted the boot panel and low and behold without the ash frame the apron now sits low enough for the boot to clear on opening!!
alastairq

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diagnosed what had split last night, on the Mustang.

Whilst grabbing a hot choccy from a McDonalds drive thru with my son [we drive to a quiet spot to enjoy the sunset]......huge-mungus queue, ended up st on a right hand bend in the queue, on full lock.....the engine stalled [its an auto]...and my first thoughts were, heat, etc....re-started OK, but as I went to move up, there was a fizzing sound, then a jet of something sprayed out from behind the front wheel. "nd thoughts were, burst radiator hose..but temps were fine....then I noticed, the factory power steering, wasn't!
Mustangs of this age only had power steering as an option, so we drove away, with the admiring audience thinking the car hid Nitrous fitted! I didn't let on!
Well, 20 miles later[and an evening walk]...I realised that probably either the ram seal had blown [unlikely given how they're fitted] or a hose had burst.
This morning, one jacked up, the gubbins were quite easily accessible from the side of the car. I added some auto trans fluid, started the engine, and turned the steering to full right lock...there, I heard the swishing noise, and could see the oil getting pushed out like an aerosol..
Just one pressure hose with a small burst in it...there are two short hoses going to the ram from the control valve..it was obviously the right hand one of these two.
So, on to RockAuto's website, identified the hose, selected from a choice of half a dozen makes...and whilst I was at it, bought another, plus the high pressure supply & return hoses to suit.

All very easy to locate...and only 45 pension-quids, delivered to my door, nowt more to pay. They'll be here in about a week.
In the meantime, I have removed the pump belt...so the car can be driven, but without the power steering aspect.
I could have gone to a tractor spot and got one made up..but for that price, why bother? If they are pain to fit for some reason, I'll take the old one to a tractor spot, get them to make me up a new one.
The spares prices for these 60's and early 70's Fords [and GMs] are incredibly reasonable, considering ...if ordered from the States. Different story if one uses a UK based supplier.
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
badhuis

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RockAuto is also good for current car spares.
I needed an upper exhaust sensor for my 04 X-type and found out RA was cheaper than any Euro / UK supplier, including shipping.
Last year I replaced the lower sensor, also sourced from RockAuto.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spent the morning applying leather feed to the Hillman 80 front seat, its a bench seat and my elbow and wrist certainly aches after that!

Already though you could see a difference in some of the areas that were bone dry.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 66, 67, 68 ... 117, 118, 119  Next
Page 67 of 119

Jump to: