classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

What did you do to your car today?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 78, 79, 80 ... 119, 120, 121  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Ray White

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="MikeEdwards"
....I'll adjust the gap to get the correct dwell (rather than adjusting it to get the correct gap) and see if it's any better.[/quote]

This is something that I have never quite understood. Every manufacturer states the required points gap but hardly ever mentions dwell. Different results presumably means one is right but which is it?
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
This is something that I have never quite understood. Every manufacturer states the required points gap but hardly ever mentions dwell. Different results presumably means one is right but which is it?

The thread I linked to has the same question, and an answer that setting points gap was only ever intended to be an easy way of getting the dwell angle correct when it wasn't easy / cheap to get equipment to measure dwell angle. It was certainly written in a way that suggests it's a definitive answer. There's another thread linked from there too, which also covers similar ground.

It does make some sense. The points gap isn't like a spark plug gap, there shouldn't be any sparking across it (and I think that's what the condenser is intended to prevent / reduce), so there's no reason for it to be set to a specific gap as long as it's wide enough to prevent current transfer. As it's in the low-tension circuit that shouldn't need to be all that far.

Yesterday I'd got the figure up to 20 degrees from the initial 14, but not road tested the car. I was trying to figure out how I could get the points gap correct but increase the dwell angle, which then led me to come away from the shed and try to research it on line.

I also had a look in an old book I bought from the library sale table years ago - "Fundamentals of motor vehicle technology" by VAW Hillier and F Pittuck - which says (with some bits edited out to save my typing hands):

"In the past* the method of setting the contact breaker was to rotate the cam until it was in the full lift position and then measure the gap with a feeler gauge. This method was often inaccurate because it was impossible to take into account the position the cam occupied when the engine was running. ... Furthermore the operation of most contact sets causes a transfer of metal from one contact to the other and this results in a "pip" building up on one contact and a "hole" forming in the other. This would defeat the feeler method unless the "pip" was ground away. Modern electrical testing equipment generally incorporates a meter which measures the dwell angle and this is used as an alternative to the feeler gauge method. "

It doesn't specifically say that dwell angle is better, but that's what I've taken from it. I can't see how it's possible to adjust both, in any case - the only way I can extend the dwell angle is to reduce the contact gap.

(* "In the past" from the point of view of this book, which was first published in 1966.)
peter scott

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps I'm being thick but surely the points gap is the only simple adjustment of dwell. If you wanted to change the relationship between gap and dwell then you would need to change the profile of the cam.

Peter
Ray White

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought that if you left the points in until a pip had developed then they had been left for too long... or there was a faulty condenser. I was always encouraged to replace the points and condenser at the same time. Unfortunately, these days, the quality of the parts is variable. Electronic ignition is probably the way to go now.
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter scott wrote:
Perhaps I'm being thick but surely the points gap is the only simple adjustment of dwell. If you wanted to change the relationship between gap and dwell then you would need to change the profile of the cam.

Peter

This does seem to be the general idea. I'm new to this as I said, my other car has Lumenition so there are no points involved. My Haynes manual for the car doesn't talk about dwell angle other than in the basic specification section in the ignition section, presumably because a Haynes manual is not aimed at those who have something like a dwell meter.

If I could find a reasonably-priced Lumenition kit for this car, I'd fit it and forget all about this. I'm talking to people about them. I have looked at these fully-mappable ignition systems with a view to having a bit more control, but I'm not quite ready to do that. Maybe a winter project.
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I test drove the car today again, after setting the points so that I had a dwell angle of 36 degrees (the manual says 35-37, so I'll take that), shows that it is much better than it was on Sunday when I last drove it. I have also changed the plugs back to the older ones, and reset the timing (which was essential after the points change), so perhaps the combination has helped.

I wonder if this will make it easier to start - I could imagine that not energising the coil for long enough won't help it cold starting.
Penman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike: I have just had a thought about this, which may or may not apply to your vehicles.
I had a couple of Vivas (HB and HC) and I'm sure they had one of those thing-emee-bobs attached to the LT side of the coil which supplied 12 Volts for starting and less for running.
I remember having problems with them.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penman wrote:
Mike: I have just had a thought about this, which may or may not apply to your vehicles.
I had a couple of Vivas (HB and HC) and I'm sure they had one of those thing-emee-bobs attached to the LT side of the coil which supplied 12 Volts for starting and less for running.
I remember having problems with them.

I think you are referring to the Ballast Ignition system, where a 6v coil is used, with a ballast resistor in series; there is a direct connection from the starter motor to the coil bypassing the ballast resistor. When the starter motor is turning the engine over the load drops the available LT coil voltage, thus compromising the energy available to the coil, however as we have a 6v coil with probably 9 or 10 volts across it, we now have more energy available that should improve starting.

A simple and effective system

Dave
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are quite correct, in standard form it would have this. One of the issues is that my starter motor is not from a Vauxhall as they're relatively difficult to get, so it doesn't have the by-pass circuit on it. Initially I'd rigged something up with a diode connected to the starting circuit, and I must confess I can't quite remember what I've done now. I know on the Firenza I by-passed the loom resistance section and put a separate ballast resistor alongside the coil, but I don't remember on the hatch - I think I put a non-ballast coil on it. I'll have a look later - I know I took the diode connection off a while back.

I by-passed it on the Firenza because a previous owner had caused some damage to the loom behind the dash (I think it was on the dash lighting circuit) and when I took it out to repair it, I just wasn't happy with the condition of it. I couldn't quite decide whether it should get warm, and even if it should (what with the energy having to go somewhere) I don't really like warm wiring. So I used a standard ballast resistor mounted on the coil which is on top of the inlet manifold, where it's always warm anyway.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding setting the dwell v setting the points gap, it's the dwell that's important but as Mike points out back when points systems were normal , dwell meters were very expensive and as dwell is directly governed by the points gap, setting the points is perfectly fine. If the gap is correctly set and the dwell is incorrect there has to be a problem in the distributor, normally wear.
Also remember that if the points gap is altered so will the ignition timing, this frequently isn't checked when the gap is adjusted.

Regarding the comment that one could fit electronic ignition and forget about the condenser isn't strictly correct as the condenser will now be built in to the electronic ignition unit, without the condenser the primary voltage would take longer to drop to zero when the transistor switch's the current off, resulting in a lower HT voltage.

Condensers in Electronic ignition systems can and do fail, sometimes you can get at them to replace, other times you have to add an external one, that said the capacitors in Electronic ignition systems tend to be more robust than the ones supplied to fit in distributors.

Dave
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeEdwards wrote:

I by-passed it on the Firenza because a previous owner had caused some damage to the loom behind the dash (I think it was on the dash lighting circuit) and when I took it out to repair it, I just wasn't happy with the condition of it. I couldn't quite decide whether it should get warm, and even if it should (what with the energy having to go somewhere) I don't really like warm wiring. So I used a standard ballast resistor mounted on the coil which is on top of the inlet manifold, where it's always warm anyway.

I wonder how many people are unaware the ballast resistance can be built into the loom, and replace the coil with a 12v unit?
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
Also remember that if the points gap is altered so will the ignition timing, this frequently isn't checked when the gap is adjusted.

I did remember to check and adjust this after getting the dwell set correctly - it was down to about zero, where it should be 9 degrees btdc.

ukdave2002 wrote:

I wonder how many people are unaware the ballast resistance can be built into the loom, and replace the coil with a 12v unit?

It is something that comes up on Viva-related forums and the like, there are one or two that will always ask whether the coil is the correct one when someone mentions that they've put a new coil on.
V8 Nutter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently I felt the Cadillac was not running quite as it should. First thing was check the plugs, they were all O.K. Next was check the dwell it was about three degrees out. I re-set that and everything was back to normal. On the Cadillac it is easy to set the dwell the distributor cap has a little window where you insert an allen key and adjust the dwell with the engine running. The shop manual gives a point gap but suggests that is only an initial setting, final setting should be with a dwell meter. On the subject of HB and HC Vivas they were notorious for points and condenser failures. I am fairly sure they had two wires to the coil, one was a resistor wire for normal running and a non resistor for starting. The change over was controlled by the ignition switch.
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

V8 Nutter wrote:
On the Cadillac it is easy to set the dwell the distributor cap has a little window where you insert an allen key and adjust the dwell with the engine running.

I heard tell of this when I was reading up on dwell the other day. It does sound like a useful feature - the number of times I've removed the distributor cap, removed the rotor (which isn't just a pull-off, it's held on with two screws), turned the crank by spanner to get access to the contact set screws, adjusted things, put it back together and realised I haven't re-fitted the rotor arm is just daft.

V8 Nutter wrote:
I am fairly sure they had two wires to the coil, one was a resistor wire for normal running and a non resistor for starting. The change over was controlled by the ignition switch.

Correct. The standard wire through the loom runs via a resistance, and there's a special contact on the starter motor solenoid which takes starting voltage and sends it directly to the coil. I was going to check how mine is wired as I seem to recall I've swapped the coil, but I forgot.
alastairq

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Renault 14s had an external dwell adjustment feature too.
I had one 40 years ago, and found the dwell adjustment very useful. Especially when compared to other methods, which involved a process of hit n miss, tweeking of the points gaps, which often resulted in a little too much, or a bit too little!

I often used to check pints gap on all the lobes, frequently finding variations.

Not significant one's , but variations all the same.
Even variations between hot, and cold!
Which is why I now always look at replacing points with a Hall Effect set-up.

When trying to tune an engine to get the best out of what I had got [so to speak], then tiny tweeks here and there were important....especially when playing with low horsepower outputs.

I competed in Reliability Trials for quite a while, using rear engined Skodas..which also had the resistances screwed onto the coil....
If changing to a full 12 volt coil, then I'd literally join the two ignition wires together....I'd also solder up solid the pilot jet fuel cut-off valve and disconnect [and hide securely] the solenoid wire...thus eliminating any chance of the wire disconnecting on a section, and bringing the whole caboodle to a rapid halt?

I was never very happy about having a live 12 volt feed wire plugged directly to the carburettor, on any car!
If I encountered any dieseling, I was happy to hold the brake down and release the clutch in gear to stop the engine running-on. Not that it happened very often in my hands anyway.

Another aspect of mechanical points I noticed, once I'd got myself a strobe timing light [decades ago, still got it]...was that, when looking for 'full advance', how much the timing marks jolted around, even though the revs were constant.
This was to be expected given the points had a spring steel component. A tiny bit of wear in the distributor shaft probably wouldn't help either [not enough to force replacement, but not brand new either]
Once a Skoda electronic distributor from a Favorit was fitted, the timing marks stayed remarkably steady at full advance! The skoda estelle/rapid rally boys even produced a solid state ignition module which overcame the Favorit's trick of packing in at awkward moments...this due to the Favorit being front engined, the module was kept cool by air flow...but in the rear engined position, the heat was too much for it....I tried computer fans stuck on the outside for a while, until I could afford the 25 quids to buy the solid state module from the owners club...
In an attempt to get cool air into the engine bay, I even bolted a Nissan [purely by chance] electric radiator fan into the right side rear wing, drawing outside air from various holes located there[by my drill]...
I would use this when queuing for a section, and in section....every bit of horsepower counted when limited by engine capacity.

I didn't run it all the time, as two rad fans up front, plus the Nissan one, all going at the same time, was a bit too much for the alternator's output....so I would switch it out once the 'section ends' board was seen. Otherwise an eventual flat battery was the result.

I never really suffered the dreaded skoda head gasket trouble after that, either.
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 78, 79, 80 ... 119, 120, 121  Next
Page 79 of 121

Jump to: