classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Forums, Facebook or Twitter?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
Keith D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forums only for me, thanks.

I leave Facebook to the youngsters who want to tell the whole world what they ate for lunch.

Keith
1999 BMW Z3
Its weird being the same age as old people.
You are either part of the problem or part of the solution
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
You raise an interesting point. I sometimes wonder about setting up a members' area, ie only visible to signed-up members.

For a club with paid membership then it's easy - my Vauxhall club forum has some general sections that anyone can see and any registered user can post to, and some more technical areas, vehicle registers and so on that can only be used by paid-up club members. That "sort of" works, but there are many topics in the general area of the forum that really should be in one of the technical areas, but the poster leaves them in general because either they're not a paid-up member, or because they want a wider contribution to the topic, not just from club members.
alastairq

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buckler Register have a FAcebook Group..which appears to be quite active....? They also have/had a forum. This has recently changed platforms...and it seems to have lost all the old archived material?
Which is sad for me, as it held shed-loads of really pertinent sidevalve Ford advice and information.

I find Facebook groups to be difficult to 'search'.....looking for specific 'topics' or information, compared to forums.

But, Facebook Groups are free....whereas forums can present a financial cost.

Forums can jam up [I think, 'crash' is the right word to use?]....whereas Facebook is pretty much glitch-free?
So I can see the appeal......however, Facebook can generate quite lively [irate?] arguments on groups which are much less likely to be seen on forums. A FAcebook group needs a really technology-knowledgeable person to moderate.
But, as a platform it is more easily accessed whilst out & about, than a forum.
gillberry

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the forums and keep an eye on several, the only problem we find is uploading pictures as on an iPad and the links do not always work or expire before you put all pics on so tend to use Facebook for that
Rootes75

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I simply don't agree with some of the nastiness on Facebook, some of the things said on some posts my wife has shown me are awful.

People (friends!!) in our village slagging each other off on the village FB page is horrible. It reminds me how two faced people can be sometimes.

She does keep tabs on some of the Classic Commercial FB groups for me, don't get me wrong, I enjoy looking through some of these. Its just all the day to day tedium etc that I don't like.
Ellis

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forums only for me.

I don't have a Facebook, Instagram or Twitter account or any of the other social media sites and have long agreed that in many ways they are a snooper's charter.
Imagine for example posting on one of these that you are going on holiday or have bought a new car or appliance. It's asking for trouble.

The news headlines of the CEO of Facebook being summoned to a parliamentary committee to explain this business of hacking and misuse of the Facebook facilities is disturbing to say the least.

I still live in the dark ages and only have a PAYG mobile phone for emergencies only. I don't even know how to text. Smile

1964 Jaguar Mark 2 3.4 litre
1962 Land Rover Series 2a 88"
2002 BMW M3 E46 Cabriolet
Brian M

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way back in 2004 I started a MSN Group for owners of Safari Caravans. It got to 150 members before Microsoft gave us two weeks notice that is was to close down. A lot of work got most of the important stuff moved to a Proboards forum, and then a lot of members started a campaign for me to start a Facebook group. Within six months the FB group totally eclipsed the forum, to the extent that my FB group averages 20-30 posts a week whereas the forum has 2-3 a month.
I now have 600 members on fb, and notice a lot more ladies take part on FB (and classic caravanning has a greater number of female participants than classic car ownership) than take part on my forum.
And FB is so much easier to post photographs, and they stay there unlike forums especially where Photobucket was involved.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there is a naively that a lot of folk have, in what they trade when signing up for the "free" services offered by the likes of Facebook , photo hosting sites, and storage sites like Dropbox.
In most cases the T&C's you will have agreed to, (with in most cases without actually reading the terms!) effectively give the provider the right to do what they want with your data. They obviously have to abide by the law, but given you data can be stored anywhere on the planet, which law can be the question.....

There is no such thing as a free lunch

Dave
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
I think there is a naively that a lot of folk have, in what they trade when signing up for the "free" services offered by the likes of Facebook , photo hosting sites, and storage sites like Dropbox.
In most cases the T&C's you will have agreed to, (with in most cases without actually reading the terms!) effectively give the provider the right to do what they want with your data. They obviously have to abide by the law, but given you data can be stored anywhere on the planet, which law can be the question.....

There is no such thing as a free lunch

Dave

Agreed. I've lost count of the number of numpties I've seen on the telly over the last few days parroting the "Facebook is free" line - the neighbours are probably sick of hearing me shouting at them Laughing Laughing Laughing
alastairq

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have much of a profile on my FAcebook....

I have recently, finally, managed to undo [ie get myself blocked] from a so-called 'friend's' FAcebook feed....I felt too 'polite' to 'un-friend' them! I got the feeling the individual was an incredibly sensitive chap....maybe with issues?

But I found the stuff he was involved in, too intrusive on my home page [where I look for the latest stuff from my owners clubs, trials, etc.] and I don't pretend to understand how fAcebook works, with regards to 'blocking'.....anyhow, he was involved with a topic of conversation, the general trend of which I had little sympathy with.....and posted as much. Amazingly quickly I got accused of being a ''troll''[albeit, an acknowledged clever one!!]....and when I had the gall to rebuff [without getting personal, unlike the other posters]....hooray, the fellow finally 'blocked' me from his facebook world. One less annoying bit to scroll through?

To me, a Troll is a very competent kit car of the past, designed with trialling & racing in mind...with but a simple change of wheels to do either, the same weekend.
A modernised version of the Dellow, perhaps?
One of the parties involved with the creation of the Troll was a good friend of mine...
Thus..I get the vague feeling I'm missing something with all this modernism, and Facebook?
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alastairq wrote:
I have recently, finally, managed to undo [ie get myself blocked] from a so-called 'friend's' FAcebook feed....I felt too 'polite' to 'un-friend' them! I got the feeling the individual was an incredibly sensitive chap....maybe with issues?

I've done similar recently, one particular person is someone I have contact with for car-related stuff, but some of his postings were quite radical. Not enough to be on the news, but not what I want to read, so it's easy to "un-follow" someone, even if you want to leave them on your friends list. Another I un-friended in the run-up to the last general election, and it was amazing how much general political stuff disappeared overnight. I had been looking for a "no politics" filter, but it turned out that just blocking one person dealt with most of it.

I don't have a photo on my Facebook profile, and if I ever decide to post one (which will be just to stop Facebook emailing every couple of days to say "help your friends recognise you"), it will be a photo of my car, or perhaps someone else's.
alastairq

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.. one of my ex-wives today, told me how to do it ...and apparently no-one is any the wiser? Smile
Richard H

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forums all the way for me. Mind you, I only regularly check this one and one other nowadays, both general classic car forums where people tend to be polite and friendly, and the content is usually of interest to me. I used to look at one make/model forums but the constant sniping and nitpicking got to me in the end, so I gave those up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: