classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

1929 Austin 16/6 Babbitt done
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
Humphrey

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject: 1929 Austin 16/6 Babbitt done Reply with quote

Just finished doing it myself. I could not have managed without my lathe.
I am now making a fixture so I can bore and face the big ends. The mains (all 8 of them) will be bored in a fixture and not in line which is too cramped on this engine.
It was handy having a small oven to heat up the steel parts. The Babbitt was melted over a gas ring.
Glen Vassallo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good on you for doing it yourself! I am in the process of slowly rebuilding one. Did you buy your parts from the VAR? What about a workshop manual? Sorry for the questions. Thanks
Glen
Humphrey

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the olld cylinder block cracked, I replaced it with a 30's one but the water manifold did not fit so i made one out of steel to match the wate pump. The ones for that year are not compatible with the pump on the older crank case.
I also made new pistons which I cast on my home foundry using modern rings that give less friction and better oil control.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: