classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Caveat emptor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Vintage Motoring-Related Toys, Tools & Accessories
1935Hillman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:51 pm    Post subject: Caveat emptor Reply with quote

Just thought I would share my recent bad experience with a postal service as a warning to others.
I recently won an old battered but lovely old Shell enamel sign on a well known auction website. I then arranged for the sign to be collected by courier and purchased the service from Parcel2Go online.
The scheduled day of collection came and went but no-one appeared and the worried seller of the sign rang me late in the evening to inform me of this. I spent some time on a 'live chat'online where the operative continually asked me if I would like to 're-book' the collection. I tried to explain that it wasn't a case of my wishing to 're-book' the collection, it was more a case of them just collecting it. In the end I was backed into a corner and seemingly had no option but to 're-book' the collection, thus creating - as I discovered later - a new transaction code. The collection driver actually rang me the following morning to tell me that he was on site and was putting the sign in his van and that it would be taken to the Hermes Bridgewater depot for distribution to my home address later.
It did not arrive and has now not arrived after two weeks.
Hermes have no idea where my heavy 6ft x 4ft bright yellow sign is.
P2G have no idea where my heavy 6ft x 4ft bright yellow sign is.
I have no idea where my heavy 6ft x 4ft bright yellow sign is.
Apparently my case is being investigated but I do need to provide additional information (1) Proof that the item was not delivered and (2) Proof that the sign is worth the £100 that I claim (and insured for when I booked the courier)
I have used the service and others previously with few problems but my experience recently has shown that when such arrangements go wrong, they can go badly wrong.
Please be warned by my experience
Rootes75

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That doesn't sound good at all. Its quite a large item to misplace!
MVPeters

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Caveat emptor Reply with quote

1935Hillman wrote:
............. The collection driver actually rang me the following morning to tell me that he was on site and was putting the sign in his van .................

Do you have his phone number stored, perhaps?
consul 57

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does not sound good at all.
some of these delivery services are appaling, i ordered some rubber for my business as usual and when nothing arrived after 4 days, it normaly arrives next day, they said they would investigate and it turns out it was dropped to the local shop/parcel point, but did not actulay tell anyone especialy me!
i think the company who sold the rubber have decided not to use them again.
i live near bridgwater so maybe closer to the sign than you!
good luck
lowdrag

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try getting things delivered to France then! I used Shiply, the courier said he was close to me and would be there soon, and never arrived. Shiply told me that sex and travel was in order. Not their responsibility. I lost £500.
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not had anything quite as bad as this myself, but I long since realised that paying extra for "next day" delivery is a waste of money, however desperate I might be for a part or tool. It's not like I live miles from anywhere* but a good 50% of the time stuff fails to arrive next day and getting a refund on the next day element of the carriage charge is like persuading a lump of granite to become a blood donor.

*Local estate agents tend to quote figures of 20-25 minutes from the Severn bridge, but never seem to mention the helipad on the roof... Laughing Laughing Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Vintage Motoring-Related Toys, Tools & Accessories All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: