classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Ford Pop 103e fuel pump
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
Landy Des

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:57 pm    Post subject: Ford Pop 103e fuel pump Reply with quote

I've got to remove the fuel pump, replace the diaphragm and replace the pump on my 103e.

I've not done one before and the bit I am concerned about is how to properly locate the rocker arm when I replace the pump.

The workshop manual states the lever must lie between the camshaft and the crankcase wall. Access is difficult and no way will I be able to see what is going on so it has to be done by feel.

Any pointers on getting it right or am I overthinking it...

Thanks
victor 101

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're probably overthinking it. When you replace the pump just insert it with the arm as upright as possible when you pass it through the block casing.
peter scott

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1

Peter
Penman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I think you'd be hard put to get the lever behind the camshaft.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Landy Des

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for your help.

I haven't come across the exploded diagram of the fuel pump and location of the rocker arm and as they say, a picture paints a thousand words - or something like that...

The workshop manual is a bit confusing in that it also goes on to note "The lever must rest against the cam and not be located so that it touches that side of the camshaft near the centre of the engine"

I can't quite make sense of that so thought it best to ask those that know Smile
Farmer John

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:24 pm    Post subject: Fuel pump Reply with quote

Hello Des. The manual is warning you quite properly that it is possible to fit the pump with the lever beside the lobe, you could happily tighten the bolts and not feel anything wrong.
Perhaps the manual has the following information but just in case, when assembling the pump and it comes time to tighten the screws around the body the diaphragm must be held at full stretch by pulling back on the lever and then tightening the screws.
When a motor has been around for a while there is a good chance of non genuine accessories being fitted so it can save a lot of trouble to check that the pump suits the cam. Turn the motor so that the lobe is at it's highest point then hold the pump in it's proper position against the block. If it will not face up to the block with reasonable pressure a spacer will be required between the pump and the block. There might have been a spacer when new and fitting without it has damaged the diaphragm, or it might be the wrong pump.
John
Landy Des

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump Reply with quote

Farmer John wrote:
Hello Des. The manual is warning you quite properly that it is possible to fit the pump with the lever beside the lobe, you could happily tighten the bolts and not feel anything wrong.
Perhaps the manual has the following information but just in case, when assembling the pump and it comes time to tighten the screws around the body the diaphragm must be held at full stretch by pulling back on the lever and then tightening the screws.
When a motor has been around for a while there is a good chance of non genuine accessories being fitted so it can save a lot of trouble to check that the pump suits the cam. Turn the motor so that the lobe is at it's highest point then hold the pump in it's proper position against the block. If it will not face up to the block with reasonable pressure a spacer will be required between the pump and the block. There might have been a spacer when new and fitting without it has damaged the diaphragm, or it might be the wrong pump.
John

Thanks John, it's taken a while but I think I now understand the warning in the manual about the lever position. I think it may be a bit by chance if it goes back in correctly but I'll keep it as straight as I can when I locate it into the block.

I'm pretty sure it is the original or at least a correct part pump and the tip about when the body is tightened, re the diaphragm is very helpful.

I haven't got the pump off yet as I'm waiting for a repair kit but the diaphragm is very brittle around the screw threads and just breaks away so hoping it will be an easy fix.
Penman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
FarmerJohn has got me thinking. Why didn't they mount the petrol pump using studs? Then there would be far less chance of getting it wrong because you woulldn't be able to tip it in it would have to be moved in along the studs horizontally.

It's that long since I fitted one I had forgotten they used bolts, in fact one which I did, had a short lever and a straight rod cam follower passing through a hole in the block.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Landy Des

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You were right, I was overthinking it. The pump refitted straight in although a bit of a fiddle to get to one of the nuts as you really need a thin wall spanner to get onto it properly.

I think it was safe to say the diaphragm had seen better days....

(Sorry the pic is so big)

[/img]
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this old thread while reading up on pumps.

On the Prefect's AC pump I've replaced the diaphragm and the two small valves in the upper half of the pump, fitted a new rubber seal under the lid and a fibre washer under the centre bolt. However I put it back together it refuses to pull up fuel. I did the trick of pulling back on the operating lever while tightening the screws that hold both halves together. The line to the tank is clear and I can suck up fuel myself from the tank to the engine end of the main fuel line, but the pump refuses to play ball.

Anything else I should be checking? I manually tried the pump and a length of pipe straight into a tin of fuel, nothing there either.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
alastairq

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you a member of the FSOC, Rick?
A question on the FSOC members lounge Facebook page might elicit a response?

[Personally I'd have had an electric pump fitted by now..]
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it help to prime the pump first ?
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alastairq wrote:
Are you a member of the FSOC, Rick?
A question on the FSOC members lounge Facebook page might elicit a response?
...]

I'm a floating member Smile not one at the mo but will be re-joining again shortly I suspect.

RJ
alastairq

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not got the valves the wrong way round, perchance?
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alastairq wrote:
Not got the valves the wrong way round, perchance?

That has crossed my mind, it'll be the next thing I take (another) look at, pretty sure I put the replacements in the same as the old ones came out .... assuming they were correct of course ...

RJ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: