classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Ebay - last minute snipers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject: Ebay - last minute snipers Reply with quote

I am one well p****ed of guy at the moment, all due to what ebay refers to as a "sniper" which is someone that steals an item in the dying seconds.

I had bid on a Blackjack Avion which is a 2cv derived kit car,

this one had a build cost of over ten grand and a very high build quality and spec. I was set on that car and expecting to pick it up next week.

I had placed my bid and there had been little real interest until the thing was almost in the bag - someone outbid me with NINE SECONDS to go...by the time I had re-entered a higher bid the car had sold. Sad

On the bright side...I hadn't bought the flying jacket and goggles yet! Rolling Eyes [/i]
admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there are automated systems you can get that place a last second bid on your behalf, although I've never tried them!!!!!! I guess the only thing you can do is place your own maximum bid fairly late in the auction, and if you get outbid, well its gone above the max you were willing to pay - but I agree it is horrible when you get outbid after getting excited about another acquisition!!!!!!!

Rick
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Auctions, lethal things! I agree with rick, put your higest bid in nearing the end and then switch it off and go back to see if you have won after it has ended! I once tried to win a book by entering a last minute bid after being out bid and accidentally place a bid of £400 instead of £4.00, learnt my lesson though! I felt rather ill, but luckily it only had time to go up to about £5 or £6, but I did win it! Very Happy

I used to have a mate at college that built those 2cv kits, used to have a few of them and sell them, but don't have any contact details anymore!

Cheers

Dave
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the trouble with auctions, I did place what I thought was my maximum bid and lost the car for the sake of a hundred quid!

When you look at it like that I could have stretched another 100 but it's too late to think like that after the auction!
Stuchamp

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other thing to think about on ebay is that what you see as the winning bid isn't always the winners maximum bid. It's just the next amount that's higher than your bid. His actual maximum bid may have been much higher.

Sorry you didn't win, that is one cool machine!
PACresta

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Old Nail i can understand your frustrations, but in actual fact i suppose this could happen at a live auction. While you are thinking of bidding some more the hammer could come down.
The gentlemans thing to do on Ebay is for everyone interested to put in an initial bid on the item, then fight it out towards the end. Unfortunately it don't work like that and with the advent of software that will enter a winning bid in the dieing seconds its a dog eat dog world on Ebay.
I have lost things in the past and have learned to accept that it wasn't to be. In the main i have won some real good items, one being a pair of rear lamps for my Cresta from Canada. I did that the old fashion way and got up at 4am to fight for the winning bid. Think i paid plenty for them but where could i get a new pair of rear lights from in the uk? I spent the next few days trying to justify to the Mrs they were a bargain at £260 Shocked
admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reminds me of a mate of mine, he got out of bed at 3am or so, specifically to bid on something. He switched his PC on, noted that he had a few minutes to go so went to make a cup of tea, when he got back he just missed the end of the auction - DOH! Rolling Eyes

Rick
Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: