classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Primer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration
Paul fairall

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Primer Reply with quote

Having got the doors aligned on my popular I sanded the rust from the door sills where the floors were rubbing before. I sprayed them with high Zinc primer. Is this suitable to paint over or do I need another primer before painting.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends what sort of paint your zinc rich paint is and what paint type you intend to cover it with.
Personally I don't use zinc primers because top coats don't adhear as well, I always treat bare steel with phosphoric acid and then etch prime, it's belt and braces but works.

If you are not going to top coat for a few days then use an epoxy primer, as it won't absorb moisture like other primers do,to avoid micro blistering months or years later.

Dave
Paul fairall

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the epoxy primer two pack or can I get it in rattle cans as I'm doing small repairs first. Will later sand large areas and prime as the black paint is peeling and revealing the original blue.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to use high build epoxy primer, it allows you plenty of time after to apply top coats. It only requires a little flatting too and top coats adhere well to it.
colwyn500

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rootes75 wrote:
I tend to use high build epoxy primer, it allows you plenty of time after to apply top coats. It only requires a little flatting too and top coats adhere well to it.

Do you know if cellulose topcoat is compatible directly over well-cured and then scuffed/flatted epoxy primer?
It would be an excellent saving for me if I could avoid the cellulose primer stage as I've already used the high-build epoxy and got the bodywork really straight. Very Happy
One of the things I'm trying to avoid is losing the crisp lines of the body mouldings on my van after taking all the time to remove umpteen layers of old paint!
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cellulose over epoxy primer is fine, you are right in wanting the minimum thickness of paint as possible. The thicker the paint / filler the more chance of one coat sinking over time loosing the finish.

Dave
colwyn500

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
Cellulose over epoxy primer is fine, you are right in wanting the minimum thickness of paint as possible. The thicker the paint / filler the more chance of one coat sinking over time loosing the finish.

Dave

Many thanks for that Dave; and from a trusted, regular contributor. Very Happy
This really improves my chances of painting the campervan this summer; and as a converted commercial which wouldn't have had the most exotic finish when new, even if the quality suffers a little, it won't matter.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you can use cellulose over epoxy. I think you can use most types on epoxy, I used coach enamel for top coats and it went on lovely.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: