classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

xply v radials
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
trampintransit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok...I keep saying ...I'm aware of the tramlining / handling /wear issues....I already had these issues factored before posting ...as I have said ...wear WILL NOT influence my decision...handling will also only score a few points in the decision ...it's COMFORT that I'm interested in and there seem to be conflicting info here. I've never changed a car from xply to radial so I don't know...but the retailers , both Vintage Tyres and Longstone Tyres are both repeatedly saying " Your car will ride less well and be less comfortable on Turbospeeds'

But some of you are saying the complete opposite??? I am utterly bewildered.

Another issue is ...steering wear ....most folk are saying that the load on the ( power steering ) will increase, although there'll be less steering input on the road because radial will tramline less, greater input is needed at parking speeds because the ground contact is greater...and that's where PS box wear comes from ...The Burman box is a proper pain to rebuild..last thing I need ...
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not at all surprised!

Comfort is subjective and relative - I personally would not feel comfortable at all if I felt the road holding was poor. I actually felt this way with the Turbospeed radials on our P5 (also designed for X plies). I feel entirely safe and comfortable in our 100 on Federals.

You need to try someone else's car on radials compared to modern X plies
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
trampintransit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But Phil....Trurbospeeds are crossplies not radials????
lowdrag

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it seems that you are doing the same wrong thing that we all have done - listening to loads of people, getting conflicting advice, and ending up totally confused. Of course, there is an easy way out of this - find someone who has a car on radials and see if you can drive it. That would then be the acid test. I've had my E-type well over 30 years and over 100,000 miles, drove it on RS5 Dunlops for years fully knowing most people were on radials but I wanted to keep the car original. Except that crossplies were only used up until September 1964 when the 4.2 came out and then they changed to Dunlop radials. I bought the Lynx for racing and kept it on R5 Dunlop crossplies, illegal for road use because the side walls are too thin and are made that way to flex more. That should tell you something. They make a road version which is the R5L with thicker walls but I've changed to Blockleys now.

We used to hoon all over Europe in those good ol' days, when radar wasn't invented and policemen were real people and not machines on financial targets and crossplies were our thing. Now I am fighting a losing battle to keep points off my licence I drive the dear old gal with more reverence, and the radials suit that. But on a track watch out; crossplies drift at a progressive rate, but a radial will let go suddenly and is harder to catch.
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They did Turbospeeds in radials too from the late 70's I think
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
Rich5ltr

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil - Nottingham wrote:
They did Turbospeeds in radials too from the late 70's I think
Not that I'm aware of, the Turbospeed is crosply the Turbosteel is the radial.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: