classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Modern Cars
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

7gzr wrote:
other sizes the same in metric A/F are 19mm /3/4"

Not sure I'd agree there - 19mm is certainly quite close to 3/4", but there is noticeable "slack" when using a 19mm spanner on my 3/4" crank pulley nut to turn the engine over when checking points and the like. A six-sided 19mm socket would stand less chance of rounding a 3/4" fastener than a 12-sided one, if there's no option.

That said, when I did a job on my modern Audi last year, I used a Whitworth socket, which was a very snug fit on what was a fairly tight nut.

"Wrong" sizes can have other uses though - I've removed rusted 1/2" headed nuts or bolts using a 12mm spanner hammered on for example. But other than special cases I'd much prefer to use the proper size. I'm fortunate now in that my two classics don't have rusty hard-to-shift fasteners any more.

Last edited by MikeEdwards on Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:34 am; edited 1 time in total
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bitumen Boy wrote:
I can see it being possible to remove a fastener but having no way of starting the thread to replace it.

I was thinking of it more for where you can get on to it, but there's no room to get any movement on the spanner if it's directly on the fastener, maybe because there's stuff either side of it that stops anything other than a really fine (and relatively weak) ratchet from clicking over. By moving the rotating position you can get it into clear space.

I guess it's indicative of the strength of them that they only seemed to be available in 1/4" and 3/8" drives - no 1/2" drive version. Only a matter of time, perhaps.
Peter_L

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems there is 1/2inch and some low profile sockets, the largest being 18mm

https://www.primetools.com/collections/tite-reach/products/1-2-tite-reach-professional-extenstion-wrench

One thing that came to notice was the fact that the applied rotation of a ratchet/airgun changes from clockwise to anti-clockwise depending on which side it is inserted.

Perhaps a bit like progressing from open and ring spanners to sockets,ratchets universals and air tools, it is knowing that there is another solution in the tool box. I can remember the time when Dad didn't own one socket or ratchet and taking out some bolts one 1/4 turn (or less) at a time was the normal way to spend a Saturday morning.
Penman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
alastairq wrote:
Wasn't it Bugatti who use one size of bolt head throughout?

Don't know about Bugatti but didn't Ferguson have 1 double neded spanner and wasn't their screwdriver also double ended also?

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: