classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Axle/Jack Stand Safety.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
Peter_L

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: Axle/Jack Stand Safety. Reply with quote

The original article was sent to me, so I googled "jackstand-failure-mike" and found this article. Don't be put off by the start, the maths bit, stay with it.

https://youtu.be/G7_Aa8pbM7Y

As it happens I have 4 of the 3 ton type that have a pin through the ratchet, but 2 smaller ones that don't. I use the 2 ton smaller ones to hold up the lawn tractor to clean under the deck and view the blades. I also use them to tilt it to one side when changing the oil.

I don't know what a lawn tractor weighs but it is much less than 25% of a Porsche. Even so, I would not want to have any part of me compressed between the tractor and the ground.

Anyway, "food for thought". Stay safe everyone..
BigJohn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I jack up a vehicle and use axle stands I use the type that are a tube within a tube with a hole through and a thick pin, I don't like the ratchet type. BUT, I always have some sections of cut railway sleeper stacked under a chassis rail or similar strong section elsewhere as an extra safety feature. I don't want my overall's pressed with me in them!
jp928

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use both types of stands, never had any worries. My Porsche (928) is very stiff, and once while it was on 4 stands I noticed that on one corner it wasnt actually loading the stand, and would rock a couple of mm . I usually put the first end I jack on the style shown in the video (more stable base), and the second end on the vertical square tube/tube type. Had a fright once - jacked up an SD1 with the supplied screw pillar jack (side mounted) and as I prepared to go underneath the wife came out and said I should get some stands for such work, and as we stood there looking at it the brass nut in the jack stripped, and the car slid down to the ground..... trip to the auto parts shop!
jp 26 Rover 9, 83 928
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using a set of Clarke ratchet stands for a good many years now with no problems whatever. Any of the kit we use is only as safe as the operator...
Clactonguy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:05 pm    Post subject: jack of all trades ? Reply with quote

I use both types of jack from ratchet type through to tube pithing a tube with 'pins' .in ALL cases I shove something undercar near where working on assumption something may just ..fail. and a ton of car falling rapidly can cause serious. damage! so far so good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: