classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Tyre advice please
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
Ellis

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:01 pm    Post subject: Tyre advice please Reply with quote

As some of you may be aware I am about to re restore my Jaguar Mark 2 .
After an unpleasant experience with a set of crossply tyres I bought a new set of Michelin XVS 185HR15 tyres.

Having been standing for nearly 20 years I will have to buy new. Annoying really because the "new" ones have done less than 500 miles.

2018 is rather different to 1996 and the tyre choice is rather more limited. Michelins in that size are available so are but Avons are but the Avon is a soft sidewall tyre and not highly regarded. By the way have a look at the price of the original size tyres and be prepared to blink. I did.
Pirelli restarted production last year and Vredestein are available in HR rating as well. There are other makes as well produced in the Far East or China. I haven't heard of any of them.

An option is to buy 205 15 tyres with 80 % sidewalls in HR or VR rating. The advantage is in the tread range but I need advice.

Over to you gentlemen but there is one problem, I doubt if inner tubes will be available for the modern tyres.

1964 Jaguar Mark 2 3.4 litre
1962 Land Rover Series 2a 88"
2002 BMW M3 E46 Cabriolet
kevin2306

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ellis

If it was me, I would be ringing Vintage Tyres up for some advice.

https://www.vintagetyres.com/

Great blokes and their service is first rate.

Kevin
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I restored my MGA one of the first things I did was get new tyres, what a mistake! it took me 20 years to complete the restoration, by which time I had no confidence in the 20+ year old tyres so had them changed, the ones I original fitted still had the paper labels!
Moral of the restoration; leave perishable components till last!

Dave
badhuis

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I got my 420 I bought new Vredesteins 185x15. Been very happy with them, not expensive. I also bought them for my TR4 (165x15).
I have met many Jaguar owners over the last 12 years which had Vredesteins, most were happy with them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: