classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

2CV
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
peter scott

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a new car.

Very smart.

Peter
norustplease

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being tired of guessing how much fuel I had, I bit thebullet and dropped the fuel tank. Earthing the feed prior to this had shown that the gauge was working, and so it had to be the sender.
I syphoned the tank dry and tipped most of it into the other cars, then undid the four bolts and dropped it down.
The old sender had a detached (snapped) connector between the coil and the outside terminal. It could possibly have been repaired, but I had already got hold of a new one, and so swapped them and put it all back.
Tipping five litres in showed no appreciable movement of the needle, but it did at least show some signs of life when the ignition was switched on.
I drove to ASDA and filled her up. I was pleased to see the needle swing across to full.
Excellent.
I can live without the oil light, I always check the oil on all my classics prior to taking them out and I am not particularly keen to start taking off the front wing and disconnecting electrics, in order to replace the sender, or reconnect the wire. Maybe next summer!!!
Boring Tucson SUV
norustplease

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being locked down, I have now started to work through my three cars doing the jobs that I had been ignoring, starting with that 2CV oil light.
Alas the Citroen hasn't had many outings this year. It was stashed away in my daughter's garage over Christmas to get it out of the way, and didn't appear then for quite a few weeks, to be grounded again by the various storms.
Well, anyway, I have dismantled the front of the car to replace the pesky oil pressure sender (front wing removal required).
There is also a fairly prodigious oil leak that only manifested itself when I backed the car out of the garage the other day, and left the engine running for a few minutes.
This appears to be caused by excess crankcase pressure which is caused either by:
a/ A knackered engine.
b/ The failuire of the engine crankcase breather system.
The engine starts and runs well and so I am inclined to replace the breather/filler assembly. This incorporates a dump valve that allows any oil mist that is forced out of the crankcase to drain back into the sump, and ingeniously (it is said) creates a negative pressure within the crank case so that it sucks air in rather than squirts oil out.
The general view amongst those who know is that the assembly can need replacement every five years or so, so now, after some finger crushing acrobatics, I have the new assembly in place.
All I need now is a new fanbelt, the one that Ihave carried around as a spare since last summer which claims to be the real thing, is actually a good 50mm longer than the original, so I am waiting for a smaller item to arrive and the Deux Chevaux therefore sits with its fan and mesh grille removed, awaiting the part.
Not that anything is spoiling, the weather is cracking but we are, as they say, grounded!.
Boring Tucson SUV
norustplease

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it wasn't crankcase pressure, but a cracked oil feed line. The 2Cv has a small oil feed pipe that feeds the cylinder heads from a tapping on the crankcase. This is under considerable pressure as you can imagine. It sits part within the cooling shrouds around the cylinders and part behind the fan, so it can get quite crusty and can also abrade where it passes through the wall of the baffle. When the engine was running it gave quite a healthy pulse of warm 20/50 which then ran into the shrouds around the cylinders and exited wherever it could.
Thank heavens for the lockdown, otherwise I might have ended up on a nice sunny jaunt with a partially seized engine. It was coming out at a fair rate and I only found it becuse of the line of drips that showed my progress on the drive whilst shuffling cars around recently.
I am now waiting for a new pipe assembly which will be in cunifer type piping which can't rust away.
Boring Tucson SUV
norustplease

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new oil line arrived ...but no copper washers. I ordered and received new, which are a curious and slightly wider double washer which push over the banjo fitting. However, the crankcase tapping has had some kind of thread insert fitted which is slightly below the level of the casing seat and which conveniently just fitted the old washer. It was also not square to the seating and consequently, I was sceptical about it sealing properly, and when starting the engine, (prior to refitting fan etc.) oil seeped out as expected.
I would have to use the old washers, and I got out my blowtorch, annealed them and re-fitted them. Starting the engine implied that I was successful. (You can only run the engine for a minute or so without the fan, it heats up very quickly.).
The rest of the engine has now reassembled and hopefully that is a fix. It has also acquired en route new plugs, a 123 Electronic ignition module, a new oil pressure sender and a coat of paint on the fan cowling (which incidentally, is a pig to refit), not to mention the new filler/breather unit previously mentioned.

I will reserve final sign off until I have actually driven it somewhere.
Boring Tucson SUV
norustplease

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2CV has had several runs locally and so far, no serious oil drips. Just need a decent spare now, the current one has loads of tread, but must be a good twenty years old and is as hard as a rock. Not sure how far i would get if i used it.
Boring Tucson SUV
norustplease

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oil change and a quick run in the sun yesterday. I will probably SORN over the depths of winter, MOT runs out late January, so I will keep driving until the salt arrives and then put her to bed for the winter, and re-MOT in March/April when hopefully there is some scope for driving again.
Boring Tucson SUV
norustplease

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

norustplease wrote:
2CV has had several runs locally and so far, no serious oil drips. Just need a decent spare now, the current one has loads of tread, but must be a good twenty years old and is as hard as a rock. Not sure how far i would get if i used it.

Bought a new tyre and fitted it on the best of the old wheels (after a bit of sandpaper and paint) using a friend's tyre machine.
Boring Tucson SUV
norustplease

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put the 2CV away just before Christmas and the winter weather in these parts didn't encourage me to get it out in January and February, but yesterday, I decided to go and have a look over it, make sure no flat tyres, etc. and see if it would start.
With a dried up fuel system it refused, but a squirt of Easy Start into the air cleaner got a response.
I fished the squeezy bulb primer out of the boot and after a couple of pumps, tried again and the car jumped into life.
Result!
I let it warm up for a while and then shut it down again. My plan is to get it out tomorrow, sneak it back home (MOT has expired) give it a service and then book it in for MOT sometime later in the week.
Fingers crossed!
Boring Tucson SUV
peter scott

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the SS at the Biggar Show yesterday and spotted a 2CV with a rather nice mascot.

Peter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: