classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Air hose
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration
1935Hillman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject: Air hose Reply with quote

Hi all,

About three years ago now I invested in a nice big compressor and all the ancillaries to teach myself to paint cars. As it happened I still haven't painted a car but the compressor has been incredibly useful for so many other things in the meantime. However, the hose, despite being stored loosely coiled and dry and never left under pressure has perished badly and now sprung leaks all over.
As with so many things, choice for a replacement is vast so I am asking for advice and opinions on which I should buy.
I look forward to hearing from those who can offer help. You may see that I previously asked about fittings. The fittings are very much better now they have been replaced but the problem has moved to the hose itself!

Many thanks
Kenham

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish you luck with your search , I have the same problem, airlines , fuel pipes , welding gas pipes etc etc seem to last only two or three years. It seems everything you buy now is just cheap throwaway rubbish.
Kenham

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish you luck with your search , I have the same problem, airlines , fuel pipes , welding gas pipes etc etc seem to last only two or three years. It seems everything you buy now is just cheap throwaway rubbish.
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is some real rubbish out there. Rubber hose perishes and plastic becomes too stiff and coiled type kinks and splits. I bought some 8mm bore soft ribbed blue plastic air hose 20m almost 20 years ago and this has been great and has been used regularly.

The ends perish near the fittings through use. 5 years ago I started looking for more and bought some yellow 8mm HD plastic stuff from Machine Mart that lasted 24 hours before blowing up in bubbles. I took it back next day and got my money back - the even dearer stuff they had looked no better

I had been looking ever since until at Lichfield Rotary car show jn July this year a stall was selling 15 or 10 m coils of 8mm softish/flexible yellow PVC. It was Sealy I think and looked to be good stuff and only £10 for 10m!

Having seen some awful stuff for 3 times the price I thought I would risk it and bought a 15m coil for £15 with PCL type fittings. I have not been disappointed its great so far and no problem @ 120lbs.

I find that 8mm give far less pressure drop than 6mm bore in longer lengths for air tools
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: