classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Standard 8 (1957)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
RogerB

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Standard 8 (1957) Reply with quote

I believe that the clutch slave cylinder seal is letting brake fluid past it when the clutch pedal is depressed as the level in the master cylinder drops when repeatedly pressing the clutch pedal (the fluid goes an 'orrible colour as well!)

My question is- how difficult is it to remove the clutch slave cylinder and replace it with a new one?

Finally my garage does not have a pit so it will have to be done lying on the garage floor......................whoopee.....!

RogerB
Richard H

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never done this job on a Standard but it's probably the same as my Cambridge and other cars of this era. The slave cylinder will likely be mounted on the drivers side of the gearbox, either by a separate bracket or directly to the 'box. There will be a flexi hose which you need to slacken, then remove the bolts holding the cylinder and wind the cylinder off the hose (there will be quite a bit of residual fluid in the system that will drain off).
Get the cylinder on the bench, and remove the dust boot to expose the top of the piston. If you have an airline, bury the end of the cylinder in some rags and give short bursts of air into the inlet port to pop the piston out. If not, then tap it on the bench and then across some open vice jaws until it comes out. Clean up the inside of the bore to see if it'll take a new seal, which are readily available and cheap! You will probably want to carefully hone it using some WD-40 and wet & dry. Any corrosion/pitting will probably cause it to leak with a new seal fitted but it's worth checking first!
Probably teaching granny to suck eggs here, but if you do re-rubber the cylinder, make sure you fit the seal with the flared side facing towards the fluid source, and tease it back in carefully with a small blunt screwdriver to avoid nicking the new seal while refitting. Have seen a surprising number of brake/clutch cylinders with seals fitted incorrectly!
Worst case you can always have the cylinder sleeved in stainless as a way of keeping the original part on the car, or I'm sure new pattern ones are available.
RogerB

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: Standard 8 'Gold Star'. Reply with quote

Many thanks Richard,

I shall follow your advice implicitly; I shall not look forward to lying on the garage floor........

RogerB
Richard H

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had a google and it looks like the Standard 8/10 use exactly the same Girling clutch slave cylinder as my A55, with the little bracket that holds it to the gearbox with two bolts. There will be a circlip holding the piston in, forgot to mention.
Mine was very poor and was leaking when I got the car and all the time I had it on the road! Being broke, I just kept the master cylinder topped up. Fortunately, I started work at a brake restoration company last year so having the original sleeved was easy (and very satisfying).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: